How old is "too old" if holding back student athletes

M60Gunner

BRONZE
I fully realize that parents "holding back" their student/athlete child is nothing new....and even seems to be the accepted norm anymore. Just curious on views out there? Should their be a cut off date? Or has it simply become an accepted norm and basically an afterthought?

Question came to mind as I was looking at ranked players on topdrawersoccer....one of whom has a Jan '06 bday, but is listed as a 2025 graduate. Turning 19 in January of your senior year of HS seems a bit much. But maybe that's me (considering I turned 18 three months after I graduated).

I fully realize that parents "holding back" their student/athlete child is nothing new....and even seems to be the accepted norm anymore. Just curious on views out there? Should their be a cut off date? Or has it simply become an accepted norm and basically an afterthought?

Question came to mind as I was looking at ranked players on topdrawersoccer....one of whom has a Jan '06 bday, but is listed as a 2025 graduate. Turning 19 in January of your senior year of HS seems a bit much. But maybe that's me (considering I turned 18 three months after I graduated).
I have always been appalled by parents who hold their kid back for any reason other than extreme social immaturity or academic deficiency. There is something really wrong with you as a parent if you are trying to gain athletic advantage by holding your kid back a grade. And at some point CIF should have an age cut off even if the kid has not used 4 years of high school eligibility. Maybe they already do.

OMG, someone should write Congress about how this is eviscerating youth sports, since there are 10000x more of them than transgender athletes and we all know how the trans have ruined everything.

This seems like a fake issue. Club soccer is based on age, which makes this a non-issue at the elite levels and where colleges recruit. Anyone who holds their kid back to gain an advantage in HS soccer - if it has even happened - isn’t going to make a big difference.

I have always been appalled by parents who hold their kid back for any reason other than extreme social immaturity or academic deficiency. There is something really wrong with you as a parent if you are trying to gain athletic advantage by holding your kid back a grade. And at some point CIF should have an age cut off even if the kid has not used 4 years of high school eligibility. Maybe they already do.

From San Diego Section Green Book --

203. AGE REQUIREMENT A student whose 19th birthday is attained prior to June 15 shall not participate or practice on any team in the following school year. A student whose 19th birthday is on or before June 14 is ineligible.

Much like my view on vaccines, abortions, religions and politics- Not my problem what others want to do. Do what works for you.

OMG, someone should write Congress about how this is eviscerating youth sports, since there are 10000x more of them than transgender athletes and we all know how the trans have ruined everything.

This seems like a fake issue. Club soccer is based on age, which makes this a non-issue at the elite levels and where colleges recruit. Anyone who holds their kid back to gain an advantage in HS soccer - if it has even happened - isn’t going to make a big difference.
I agree. If a coach has not recruited you before you turn 17, they aren’t going to be looking at a 19 year old senior if they haven’t already.

It’s not just athletic advantage anymore but also academic. For kindergarten 6 months is a life time for attention, being ready to learn and social skills. It’s why j kinder is a thing now. My sons private elementary school wouldn’t allow June-august birthdays to enroll directly into k unless they scored very well on the entrance exam, particularly if they are boys. Trailing September-dec were automatically put in j k unless they scored highly gifted and the parents pushed for it.

Sometimes it's the system that holding kids back, not parents. When my kid was 5 they didn't want to accept him to kindergarten - said he is too hyper and have a short attention span, let's hold him another year. I insisted and went through hell to get him to kindergarten that year. Now he is 19 and finishing sophomore year in college. Never had issue with studying or social interaction.

Sometimes it's the system that holding kids back, not parents. When my kid was 5 they didn't want to accept him to kindergarten - said he is too hyper and have a short attention span, let's hold him another year. I insisted and went through hell to get him to kindergarten that year. Now he is 19 and finishing sophomore year in college. Never had issue with studying or social interaction.
I had some higher ups back in the day tell my mom I needed to be tested for some BS behavior problems. I was just being a little kid dreaming of being outside playing, running, building and learning outside. Nope, I was forced inside and told to sit still and stop being disruptive. My mom told me later they were afraid of me :)

I had some higher ups back in the day tell my mom I needed to be tested for some BS behavior problems. I was just being a little kid dreaming of being outside playing, running, building and learning outside. Nope, I was forced inside and told to sit still and stop being disruptive. My mom told me later they were afraid of me :)
I got a news for you - you haven't changed :)

I got a news for you - you haven't changed :)
I will never change Eagle. Check this from the higher ups of today who think they know what's best. They look like fools today but they must continue because they do what their told or else. Big game last night vs FV bro. Student body is in the house. Guess what? They were told only two parents from each player is allowed, no students allowed to watch their friends play a soccer match. They were kicked out. Huge stadium and plenty of seats. I went off and told a higher up that the parents should leave and let the kids stay to cheer their fellow students instead. Higher up had a moment of thought and then said, "we cant break the rules." I was so pissed off and I let it be known. Kids are killing themselves more than ever in OC and they can't watch a freaking soccer match. Some people are going to get a Karma Spanking like no other.

Final Warning to all of you, WHO know what your doing is wrong but you still do it. Dont use kids for political reasons. You can take that to the bank of life and watch what happens to your life if you so dare choose wrong. Love the kids, protect them all and great things will happen to your life. Use the kids and bad karma will come to you at night in your sleep or during the day when you least expect it. Trust me on this one fellas. The choice is for you, the one's you know and the one's you dont know. Use the kids for your selfish gain and custom millstones will be made just for your neck.

1617201065886.png

I agree. If a coach has not recruited you before you turn 17, they aren’t going to be looking at a 19 year old senior if they haven’t already.
Things may have changed, but when I was in high school (on the East Coast) every year, we would get a couple of kids doing a "post graduate" year. They were top-level athletes (usually hockey players) and had already been recruited by top-tier schools (usually Ivys), but their academics weren't strong enough to get in. They were encouraged to do this extra year so they could get their academics together and get accepted. It didn't always work, but it often did.

Things may have changed, but when I was in high school (on the East Coast) every year, we would get a couple of kids doing a "post graduate" year. They were top-level athletes (usually hockey players) and had already been recruited by top-tier schools (usually Ivys), but their academics weren't strong enough to get in. They were encouraged to do this extra year so they could get their academics together and get accepted. It didn't always work, but it often did.
That's interesting. I have never heard of it but also not an athlete in HS so I would not have followed that. So I would love to hear from others if this is happening out here?

Doesnt really help in soccer when club soccer is age based.

How many colleges actually recruit from high schools now a days.
True, but if a kid is a great player, but not academically able to get into Stanford (or whathaveyou) I could see them taking an extra year just to up their grades/scores.

It looks bad to spend 5 years in high school. If it took a student 5 years to get mediocre grades just to pass high school then college will be an even greater challenge. Time to head to a JC.

Before entering high school is when a student should be held back to correct poor academics.

If it were about academics, you’d see more non-athletes repeat 8th.

I think it's more about parents and coaches who want to see their kids win.

It would make more sense just to have all HS sports done by age. If you are older than a HS senior would normally be, then you can’t play HS anymore. Take a JC class and join that team.

If you are a overage senior and can’t yet handle a JC class, then maybe take a year off sports and study up.

Back