How many D's does this check off?

NickName

SILVER ELITE
Bored today...

Muted to protect the insane parents from both sides

That is a hard call to make in real time for a referee that doesn't have a LOT of experience. You need to be thinking about potential DOGSO before the foul even happens to realize it. Referee was pretty far away even though he looks like a fast one. This means its a lack of anticipation, which only the highest level referees have mastered anticipation of play. And even they mess up anticipation all the time.

It should be a red card, regardless of inside or outside the box if the foul is called. The AR will definitely be needed to step up in order for this call to be made correctly for DOGSO and location of the foul.

Interesting side note, if the referee gave advantage and the kid missed the goal, the defender still only receives a yellow card. Referees have to be careful when giving the advantage signal. The ball plays on, and the yellow is issued at the next stoppage.
Common sense would probably dictate that a DOGSO advantage would be the 1 time you wouldn't mind giving a "double advantage" and calling the foul even after the advantage is messed up. Just be sure to not signal advantage and just say you were doing a "wait and see" and weren't giving advantage.

What surprises me here is that the player is still in condition to finish the shot... like he’s in his feet, gets the shot off and hits the post. The advantage or lack of one is given. In all honesty this might have been a missed chance to give advantage because we can’t see what the ref signaled. But bringing it back after advantage is given and awarding the player a red would be incorrect..

If advantage was given, this would be a caution at the next stoppage in play. You wouldn’t call it back for a free kick. If the ref blew the whistle without knowing there was a chance for a goal then this would have to be a immediate red card as it was not an attempt to play the ball and it was very obviously a holding/tug. DOGSO.

I personally don’t like bringing back the play in a situation like this. By law it’s incorrect. Had the player fell right when he took the shot then that would have been correct to call back as he gained no advantage there...

positioning, anticipation, reaction and response is critical for this sort of play.

I'm a third year referee and struggle with plays like this. Sometimes I feel like pulling the play back and marking the foul gives the attacker two bites at the apple.

Assume in the clip the attacker gets another dribble after the grab and there's no 2nd contact (in my example, he gets a clean shot off and misses). Now what? For me that's advantage the attacker squanders so no foul on the play. Still a YC for SPA.

The side effect of my logic is it encourages the player to fall down instead of playing through contact.

I had a similar situation in a U14 game this weekend (I was AR). Attacker is ahead of the defender & heading to goal about 30 yards out. He gets fouled from behind, keeps going, fouled again, keeps going, gets clear and rips a shot from inside the 18. The center didn't award a foul under the "attacker got a clean shot away after the contact" premise. I agreed ... if the center had marked the foul as the shot goes into the net that would have been bad. Clearly if it had gone in that's advantage and a good goal.

Thoughts?

I'm a third year referee and struggle with plays like this. Sometimes I feel like pulling the play back and marking the foul gives the attacker two bites at the apple.

Assume in the clip the attacker gets another dribble after the grab and there's no 2nd contact (in my example, he gets a clean shot off and misses). Now what? For me that's advantage the attacker squanders so no foul on the play. Still a YC for SPA.

The side effect of my logic is it encourages the player to fall down instead of playing through contact.

I had a similar situation in a U14 game this weekend (I was AR). Attacker is ahead of the defender & heading to goal about 30 yards out. He gets fouled from behind, keeps going, fouled again, keeps going, gets clear and rips a shot from inside the 18. The center didn't award a foul under the "attacker got a clean shot away after the contact" premise. I agreed ... if the center had marked the foul as the shot goes into the net that would have been bad. Clearly if it had gone in that's advantage and a good goal.

Thoughts?

Giving the attacker "two bites of the apple" should eventually work into the brains of the unfair defenders that they shouldn't be doing that.

Thoughts?
my thought is, you can wait for a second or two, and see. if it doesn't go too long, and if the advantage doesn't materialize, pull it back to the foul and do what needs to be done. if the advantage does materialize but the attacker doesn't score, so be it. but be very careful in the dogso case. it's my feeling that in an instance like the video above, it's better to call the foul fairly quickly and dole out the appropriate punishment, rather than wait too long "trying" to give the attacker an advantage that doesn't materialize. that defender should be sent off, and you don't want to let him off the hook unless it's a very clear and immediate advantage.

I saw that happen two separate times in a game I saw earlier this month - calling a foul + letting the fouled player continue on the run. In one case he brought the ball back to the spot of the foul after letting play continue on for maybe 5 seconds with a shot deflected out of bounds. It was the game before ours so I didn't think much of it - but wondering if its a new interpretation of the advantage rule - allow play to continue on for some period of time, and then also give the team a free-kick if it doesn't work out for the attacker?!?

I saw that happen two separate times in a game I saw earlier this month - calling a foul + letting the fouled player continue on the run. In one case he brought the ball back to the spot of the foul after letting play continue on for maybe 5 seconds with a shot deflected out of bounds. It was the game before ours so I didn't think much of it - but wondering if its a new interpretation of the advantage rule - allow play to continue on for some period of time, and then also give the team a free-kick if it doesn't work out for the attacker?!?

two times = same game, so some CR. I meant to ask him about it afterwards, out of curiosity and not in a challenging way, but seeing he was going to ref our game next, thought better of it. Sometimes even a question can present as a challenge.

Usually at youth soccer tournaments their is no opportunity to check the VAR.

Even when viewing the clip at full speed one can see that the foul was not outside the penalty area.
Gotta look super close. Box is a faint yellowish red, not the white (flag football). Can’t really see it in the video very well.

I have more but they either overly involve my kid or feels like ref shaming which I’m not trying to do with these clips. Looking at the ”cmon ref” forum posts, I’m a bit leery that its what it looks like.

Gotta look super close. Box is a faint yellowish red, not the white (flag football). Can’t really see it in the video very well.

I have more but they either overly involve my kid or feels like ref shaming which I’m not trying to do with these clips. Looking at the ”cmon ref” forum posts, I’m a bit leery that its what it looks like.
Nah. You are trying to figure out how the game is called and why. I find it helpful. Same goes for the other posts, agree with me or not.

Keep sharing. It's great to get clips to look at and discuss/debate. Keeps us all engaged. Now that you've explained yourself, I don't think anyone on here thinks your ref shaming. We all learn from seeing real-life examples.

Back