How is Your Club Treating it's Coaches?

Alemca

BRONZE
I was wondering if clubs are transparent with the parents about how they are treating their coaches during the pandemic?

At our club the coaches were put on furlough in early April and were brought back only after the PPP loan was approved. Only the DOCs were kept on staff and they led the Zoom sessions with the teams.

My understanding is that there are also differences depending on whether the coaches are employees vs. contractors. Just curious if most clubs have been able to keep their coaches employed throughout this period. I think our coaches were a little blindsided by it and that might hurt loyalty down the road. I am also concerned that it could hurt with recruiting playing and coaching talent if competitors treated their staff better during this tough time.

Our club is still paying coaches. I don’t know for sure if it extends down to the lower teams. Hope so.

They are losing the private lesson money, though. Not many parents willing to pay for a zoom training.

Paying DOC but not coaches is pretty crummy.

Our club has been very open. Our coaches were always paid, all were and are holding zoom meetings and they continue to email with video drills to do at home. We have already been told of our league refund and I got all the info out to the parents last week. I've also told my parents what their team fee refund was. I just need to decide if I'm going to cut checks and mail them out or apply it to the team fees for next year. They couldn't have been more transparent with what they are doing as a club and what the league was doing. I have no complaints.

Clubs bring in money 2 or 3 times per year.
1.Registration for the new season (whether it’s paid all at once or broken up into payments.
2. Hosting a tournament - Clubs bring home between $5k and $50k- big club with a big tournament counts one this money to survive. Little club, little tournament does it to get their name out and make a little extra money.
3. Fundraiser/golf outing- $10-$40k depending on how many golf balls are sold.

For many clubs - these 3 items can really vary right now. If a club has a lot of younger teams- theyve likely collected at least half of the money for the year. For older teams- unlikely they’ve contracted and collected for the new season yet.

So while coaches might get their pay cut- it’s not like most clubs are sitting on a pile of cash

They are paying the DOC and not the coaches due to the fact the PPP stipulates it. Cannot pay independent contractors with it, salaried employees, keeping lights on, etc is what it covers. I think a lot of coaches are not getting paid, hard to expect people to pay full fees for an extended time on zoom. It is the best available but not nearly the same. I think a lot of coaches are doing what they can but for many this was it.

They are paying the DOC and not the coaches due to the fact the PPP stipulates it. Cannot pay independent contractors with it, salaried employees, keeping lights on, etc is what it covers. I think a lot of coaches are not getting paid, hard to expect people to pay full fees for an extended time on zoom. It is the best available but not nearly the same. I think a lot of coaches are doing what they can but for many this was it.
Coaches that fall in that 1099 category can get PPP loans for themselves as individuals if they want to.

Yeah, I'm not necessarily faulting the club, but obviously bad for morale if the other clubs in the area kept their coaches on payroll. We have not heard anything about refund, but really not counting on any.

Back