High School Soccer

As far as I know during HS season kids practice 5 days a week and have games on Saturdays during December, and 2 games a week during Jan/Feb.
Can you find the time to practice somewhere else besides that and homework?
BTW CIF does not allow playing outside HS, but they do allow training and futsal, and so is college ID camps.
I believe CIF allows outside training. Various sections have more restrictive rules. Some sections don't allow outside practice.

What I recall is that CIF/SS allows external practices and ID/Training Camps, but CIF/SD has stricter rules (based on posts from those in that area). CIF/LA section has its own so depending on where you are, its best to check with the local CIF Assistant Commissioner of your sports.

In CIF/SS, last season, my kid did a December and January ID camps and we had to clear it with his HS AD and HC, after getting an email back from the assist commish for soccer saying ok but to coordinate w/those two people.

What I recall is that CIF/SS allows external practices and ID/Training Camps, but CIF/SD has stricter rules (based on posts from those in that area). CIF/LA section has its own so depending on where you are, its best to check with the local CIF Assistant Commissioner of your sports.

In CIF/SS, last season, my kid did a December and January ID camps and we had to clear it with his HS AD and HC, after getting an email back from the assist commish for soccer saying ok but to coordinate w/those two people.

CIF SD relaxed its rules a bit over the last few years, allowing 6v6 indoor soccer (formerly limited to 5v5) and permitting players to participate in full-sided games at college ID camps (sometimes, with prior approval, limited time and repetitions, etc, ad nauseum).

Play High School soccer enjoy yourself this opportunity only comes by a few times while you're young and then it's over.
I am with you, unfortunately, my son attends a local so cal HS the coach does not like club players, started punishing those who went to Nationals - he is a bully! My son is loved by his club coaches he is a team player and just wants to play for his High School but because this guy has been around for 20 plus years the school doesn't care. The rest of the high school is our HS league embrace their club players and do not have any respect for this guy.8 plus other boys from my son's team play in our league for other High schools and love their soccer programs. Beyond frustrated, there is a large group of parents from years past and this year who are tired of this guys behavior, it's really all about him during games etc. Wish there was something I could do, next year is my sons last year. He really wants to be on his HS team!!

I am with you, unfortunately, my son attends a local so cal HS the coach does not like club players, started punishing those who went to Nationals - he is a bully! My son is loved by his club coaches he is a team player and just wants to play for his High School but because this guy has been around for 20 plus years the school doesn't care. The rest of the high school is our HS league embrace their club players and do not have any respect for this guy.8 plus other boys from my son's team play in our league for other High schools and love their soccer programs. Beyond frustrated, there is a large group of parents from years past and this year who are tired of this guys behavior, it's really all about him during games etc. Wish there was something I could do, next year is my sons last year. He really wants to be on his HS team!!

Sounds like a crappy situation. Out of curiosity however, how does the team do against other HS teams with club players?

Sounds like the south Orange County coach who has never changed his ways.
Too bad, he is clueless. Yes, it is frustrating..... that's HS soccer.
Stick with your club team, it's less stressful.

I really don't get all the negative banter about HS soccer. For all the countless hours and hardwork of club training and highly competative games my daugher has attended, where is the harm in her playing for fun on a less competative team. My DD's abiliy to now play the sport she loves for her high school is one of the biggest rewards my DD is looking forward to. How could I not support my DD when she wants to show her abilities on the pitch at her HS and play with friends she grew up with. Sure my Daughter loves playing at Surf Cup with her club team and playing some of the best teams in the country. But IMHO I believe its her love of the game that is nurtured by playing with her friends that is most important. Isn't there still room for her to play just for her love of the game. For me I'm still glad its still up to her regaurdless of what any coach may say. It seams dumb to me that GDA would try to take any choice like that away and try to dictate whats best for your child. Even if your DD was the Next Mallary Pugh, and she wanted to play for her HS. I'd say,"let her play".

This is a great post and very true. For most girls, soccer is a very social activity. Being able to show off their abilities on the pitch to their friends and classmates is huge for them. They get their names mentioned in the school and local paper in addition to getting a built in peer group at a time that they are working out who they are. There are a ton of benefits even if it is usually bad soccer.

This is a great post and very true. For most girls, soccer is a very social activity. Being able to show off their abilities on the pitch to their friends and classmates is huge for them. They get their names mentioned in the school and local paper in addition to getting a built in peer group at a time that they are working out who they are. There are a ton of benefits even if it is usually bad soccer.

Every Girl DA player will not be recruited to play college soccer. Yet, they are prevented from playing HS Soccer and if their college of choice doesn't have interest in them. They will lose their only opportunity to play HS soccer.

Imagine where she would be if she was homeschooled since she was 9 so she could spend 24/7 training. Imagine if her parents controlled her diet since she was 9 and she did weight training, speed training and had private coaching daily. Imaging if she spent every weekend of her teenage years traveling and playing on youth national teams!!!!!!! What would happen, how good would she be?,....I believe it is called the Marinovich effect.

they didn't have a laughing emoji....good one! :D

Only negative to HS Soccer is the chance of injury. But can happen in club as well.

As far as over training? Tell your kid to take it easy a few days during the week if you feel they are getting over trained. They can tell the coach that they don't feel 100%.

But play and have fun. And I mean have fun as a parent too. Sit back and watch all the other crazy soccer parents and just pray you never turn into them.

Four years goes so fast.

Esperanza vs Foothill will be a do or die for Esperanza. Foothill already has one of the head to head (3-0). Curiously, neither one made the OC top 10 but Maxpreps has Esperanza as a higher seed. Who will win league this year?

How about the quality of coaching in HS vs. Club? Unfortunately, IMHO the HS coaches fall short, although there are exceptions either way.

HS soccer has been a good thing for my DD.

club burned her out & she lost interest, so she quit.

she took over a year off, made the freshman team & is having a great time. The girls have scored over 120 goals so far.

yeah, the girls play some nice ball when they face good competition, but their level of quality quickly deteriorates with the play of the other team.... it's funny, they see boom ball, then they play down in style... it's noticeable in club as well. I'm just glad that all play has been clean.

As with club soccer, if the girls like the coach & the coach connects with them, positive results happen.

HS soccer has been a good thing for my DD.

club burned her out & she lost interest, so she quit.

she took over a year off, made the freshman team & is having a great time. The girls have scored over 120 goals so far.

yeah, the girls play some nice ball when they face good competition, but their level of quality quickly deteriorates with the play of the other team.... it's funny, they see boom ball, then they play down in style... it's noticeable in club as well. I'm just glad that all play has been clean.

As with club soccer, if the girls like the coach & the coach connects with them, positive results happen.

My daughter guest played with a U12 Extra team and we noticed the same thing. First two games she played down to her teammates and the other team. Next two games saw a nice change as she played her game and the rest of the team played up. Even professionals have been know to do the same thing. Guess it is human nature.

Esperanza vs Foothill will be a do or die for Esperanza. Foothill already has one of the head to head (3-0). Curiously, neither one made the OC top 10 but Maxpreps has Esperanza as a higher seed. Who will win league this year?

I missed the game last night. Congrats to Esperanza and good luck to both in CIF. My poor kid is still out....

Back