High School Soccer

Imagine how good of a player she could have been if she didn't spend 12 months of her youth career playing bad soccer?... Obviously US soccer imagines this, as they changed the rules for the best players.
I know of a girl who plays on an ECNL team; has been home-schooled most, if not all of her life; trains a ridiculous amount of hours a day since she was little; is really pretty good, but only played on an ODP team a few years; and never made a NT roster. I'm not sure, but don't think she every played high school. So with all that training, what did she get over girls that did play high school? I've seen girls who played at Cathedral, Torrey Pines, Westview, and a few other schools who are on youth national teams who, after playing with their HS for 4 years are still national team worthy. It just depends on the kid.

High School soccer is college prep.
Not because of skill level, but because of the physicality of the game.
Just like high school, in college, you will at times have (sometimes large) gaps in skills. Many make up for lesser skills with physical play.
The physical game is the biggest adjustment most will have going from club & high school to the college level.
Good luck to all.
Play good soccer!

Last edited:
Mine did HS two years. Freshman on the field, sophomore in goal. The HS coaching was such that she was not allowed to do her GK stuff (set wall, position defenders) and she instead got into student government 11, 12th. She was amazed at all the things outside of soccer. That changed her from "soccer is my life", to soccer is something to do and use it for college. I lost a few soccer bragging rights that got replaced by career success bragging rights.
HS soccer is fun, but so are other things.

Imagine where she would be if she was homeschooled since she was 9 so she could spend 24/7 training. Imagine if her parents controlled her diet since she was 9 and she did weight training, speed training and had private coaching daily. Imaging if she spent every weekend of her teenage years traveling and playing on youth national teams!!!!!!! What would happen, how good would she be?,....I believe it is called the Marinovich effect.

Soccermin - Marinovich....great example!

S-pop77 - if you don't know the marinovich story....highly suggest u look it up:(

Well I am a fan of Marv and his training methods, that are now quite copied. I think what happened with Todd was an example of a kid gone wrong, who now, while much was lost is not so wrong anymore.

We did and do put everything into our kids, but a bit more balanced (not just a sport). I did Marv X2 - two kids. I don't see an issue with it. Gives me something to do.

Well I am a fan of Marv and his training methods, that are now quite copied. I think what happened with Todd was an example of a kid gone wrong, who now, while much was lost is not so wrong anymore.

We did and do put everything into our kids, but a bit more balanced (not just a sport). I did Marv X2 - two kids. I don't see an issue with it. Gives me something to do.

Marvs As a trainer - prolific.... Marv as a father - not so much.

Z- Although you're a bit more hands on than I (based on your posts), there's no way you're a marv x2.

I know several guys who played ball w/his kid, all share a similar sentiment. That is.....he waaaaay over helicopter-popped his kid. And when "what you do" becomes the identity/defines/self view of "who you are".....at some point, he and most people under that pressure will at some point will crack.

Goes back to teaching your kids to have perspective....especially during the HS years.

Last edited:
I'm not Marv. Tods roommate was a buddy at Starbucks I talked with for years.
I guess x2 met I had two kids. That was written poorly. The wine does that.
My family does define who I am. Not in total, but in much. I think that to be a good thing.

Edit Add:
For every Tod ruined (which I don't believe) by an over zealous dad there are as many more* as doing similar to Tod, from dad-less parenting. It would be good to error on the Marv side.

*Quotes without source abound on the Internet. So I'll ref one. I think the "one study" was by Pew Research. I can't find it and didn't look too hard but here is one from a quick search.
"According to one study, about 90% of the change in crime rates between 1973 and 1995 had been accounted for by children born into single-family setups and those that had been born outside of marriage."

Last edited:
I'm not Marv. Tods roommate was a buddy at Starbucks I talked with for years.
I guess x2 met I had two kids. That was written poorly. The wine does that.
My family does define who I am. Not in total, but in much. I think that to be a good thing.

Edit Add:
For every Tod ruined (which I don't believe) by an over zealous dad that are as many more* as doing similar from dad-less parenting. It would be good to error on the Marv side.

*Quotes without source abound on the Internet. So I'll ref one. I think the "one study" was by Pew Research. I can't find it and didn't look too hard but here is one from a quick search.
"According to one study, about 90% of the change in crime rates between 1973 and 1995 had been accounted for by children born into single-family setups and those that had been born outside of marriage."

Was this your source for that?

https://www.stormfront.org/forum/t403781-2/

This is one - that quotes another. https://singleparentingarticles.wor...ingle-parents-and-crime-rates-among-children/

Although you are linking to a white pride site, the stat holds pretty true regardless of race. Kids born to unwed parents of either race have about the same chances of success, which is far less than those born to married parents that stay together.

Similar:
"Cut to its core, the evidence shows that children are less likely to commit violent crime if they have responsible adults in their lives. Even impoverished kids living in crime-ravaged neighborhoods tend to make it if they have an adult parent, teacher, coach or clergy to protect and guide them."
https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/stop-crime-where-it-starts/

"...Children lucky enough to have strong parents are more likely to succeed at all the critical life stages..."
https://www.brookings.edu/research/the-parenting-gap/

b2465_chart1.ashx

http://www.heritage.org/research/re...erica-s-greatest-weapon-against-child-poverty

Last edited:
This is one - that quotes another. https://singleparentingarticles.wor...ingle-parents-and-crime-rates-among-children/

Although you are linking to a white pride site, the stat holds pretty true regardless of race. Kids born to unwed parents of either race have about the same chances of success, which is far less than those born to married parents that stay together.

Similar:
"Cut to its core, the evidence shows that children are less likely to commit violent crime if they have responsible adults in their lives. Even impoverished kids living in crime-ravaged neighborhoods tend to make it if they have an adult parent, teacher, coach or clergy to protect and guide them."
https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/stop-crime-where-it-starts/

"...Children lucky enough to have strong parents are more likely to succeed at all the critical life stages..."
https://www.brookings.edu/research/the-parenting-gap/

b2465_chart1.ashx

http://www.heritage.org/research/re...erica-s-greatest-weapon-against-child-poverty

The wordpress article repeats your willingness to quote unknown sources. The two Brookings Institute articles do not criticize single parenting, but stress the good qualities of "strong parenting", with the possibility of that being a single parent. The heritage.org article includes as a source "author's calculations".

Getting back on topic - when Todd M started getting off the track by hitting up weed every morning before high school, his parents had divorced and he was living in a rental apartment with his dad.

Getting back on topic - when Todd M started getting off the track by hitting up weed every morning before high school, his parents had divorced and he was living in a rental apartment with his dad.
So Marv is not good test case at all.
The topic started Post #7 http://www.socalsoccer.com/threads/high-school-soccer.337/#post-6371

I'm not seeing real evidence that going all-in on a kid for a sport is a bad thing. I do see some correlation to success/popularity and Todd like behavior.

For every Tod ruined (which I don't believe) by an over zealous dad there are as many more* as doing similar to Tod, from dad-less parenting. It would be good to error on the Marv side."

Yes....but there is a tipping point (ref - Malcolm Gladwell)

I don't know where it is. I have not seen SoCal soccer families go over that limit of involvement. Maybe the parents that ruined their kids by being too involved in their lives just don't post here. Todd is just one data point. And as a kid of a single parent (later), falls into that other big group. As you said, I am not Marv. But in demanding a lot of kids setting them up also allows them to do harder things.

Choosing clubs and coaches, choosing high schools, choosing colleges, getting passports, getting medical reviews, applying to college, financial aid is all stuff a parent can do better and know more than a kid (usually).

Proverbs 22:6
Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.

Last edited:
Imagine where she would be if she was homeschooled since she was 9 so she could spend 24/7 training. Imagine if her parents controlled her diet since she was 9 and she did weight training, speed training and had private coaching daily. Imaging if she spent every weekend of her teenage years traveling and playing on youth national teams!!!!!!! What would happen, how good would she be?,....I believe it is called the Marinovich effect.

And the marinovich story continues: http://m.ocregister.com/articles/marinovich-726612-possession-quarterback.html

My dd is going to be a sophomore and started her HS season last year coming off a concussion. I was scared to death she would get hurt playing varsity as a freshman. However, she LOVED HS soccer and actually was sad when it was over. She was able to shine a lot since we play in a weaker HS league and was able to just enjoy the game, use a lot of her cool moves on less skilled players and made new friends that are now her core group of friends at school. She loves her club team and all that comes with it, but it made HS so much more fun for her. She didn't get hurt thankfully (because she was faster than most defenders twice her size coming after her) and I agree that HS injury sometimes an be a huge factor due to the lack of skilled players and horrible reffing. I cant say though that I don't worry every game but all the girls seem to love it

What puzzles me is that CIF doesn't allow outside competition during HS season, i.e., no club practice or games. I wonder the rationale is. Allowing HS players to club practice and outside competition would only elevate the level of play. What's the harm?

No wonder USSDA doesn't allow its players to play HS. It could be the result of a pissing contest between HS soccer and USSDA.

Last edited:
I guess I am a little salty now that the club career is over but I just can't help myself. I know a kid that has trained or played 6 days a week since she was 11. She has watched 2-3 professional soccer games every week (Barca of course - live or taped). She's won 3 ODP National Championships, She's been to 2 State Cup Finals and a National Cup Final and lost. She's won 3 National Cups in a Row. She has been to the last 3 consecutive National Championships. Won one, lost one in the finals and lost in pool play. She has received numerous personal awards Academic and Athletic. She received the first ever at her high school both Scholar Athlete and Athlete of the Year. She was up for County Athlete of the Year but lost to another outstanding lady that has a similar story of setbacks and achievements and will be her crosstown rival in the Pac 12 this year. Oh yeah she has played 4 years Varsity soccer won a total of 8 games her first three years versus a club team that didn't lose a game for 18 months in their National Championship year. Her senior year they won league, lost in the CIF semis and State Semis had the time of their lives. She is also in the U18 NT pool. Please tell me that she didn't have it both ways. She had it in spades and so have others. Did I mention she has had a substantial scholarship in her hands since April of her sophomore year and is currently having a blast in sunny LA.

National Championships? Was this pre-ECNL?

National Championships? Was this pre-ECNL?

Nope. His daughter won 3 ODP championships (one playing up) and a USYS National Championship. Although she did DP occasionally with a few ECNL teams (and was asked by most to join) she played primarily in the USYS gaming circuit. She is an outstanding player that will continue do big things on and off the field.

What puzzles me is that CIF doesn't allow outside competition during HS season, i.e., no club practice or games. I wonder the rationale is. Allowing HS players to club practice and outside competition would only elevate the level of play. What's the harm?

No wonder USSDA doesn't allow its players to play HS. It could be the result of a pissing contest between HS soccer and USSDA.

The precedes USSDA by many many years. It was this way back in the 80s when I was in HS.

They are trying to protect the kids form too much practice and it is there to prevent HS coaches from circumventing the maximum practice hours by setting up outside teams for their players to play on during the season. I believe maximum practice hours is 18 per week.

As far as I know during HS season kids practice 5 days a week and have games on Saturdays during December, and 2 games a week during Jan/Feb.
Can you find the time to practice somewhere else besides that and homework?
BTW CIF does not allow playing outside HS, but they do allow training and futsal, and so is college ID camps.

Back