High School Soccer Starts Today (15 Nov) in the CIF Southern Section

Most college soccer camps happen between fall and spring seasons, which is when California HS plays soccer. CIF is a California Interscholastic Federation. California HS soccer is in the winter because the football coaches that ran CIF back in the day didn't want to share the fields. Why don't they move football to the winter and see how many football players have problems attending ID camps because of CIF? More HD students play soccer than football now. Shouldn't football have to compromise more now? And Golden gate, why do you always have to call people names?

So do high schools violate Title IX by having their season in the winter, or do colleges violate IX by having their season in the fall? If colleges changed their season to winter to be consistent with CA, would that mean that MI and NY high schools are now violating Title IX because they would have the "problem" of having the opportunity to go to college ID camps during the fall? Or are the colleges still violating Title IX, because now they're holding ID camps during MI's and NY's seasons instead of CA's? Do colleges violate Title IX any month that they have an ID camp during some states' HS season? So, in other words, they can only hold ID camps in May and June without breaking federal law?

I don't always call people names. Are you telling me that completely ignoring the fact that more than half of the states in the US have a different HS soccer season than CA is not myopic and self-absorbed? Those seem to be the exact right words. Most states have soccer in the fall, and some like Texas and Georgia even go well into April. College ID camps will always conflict with some states' HS seasons regardless of when they have them.

So do high schools violate Title IX by having their season in the winter, or do colleges violate IX by having their season in the fall? If colleges changed their season to winter to be consistent with CA, would that mean that MI and NY high schools are now violating Title IX because they would have the "problem" of having the opportunity to go to college ID camps during the fall? Or are the colleges still violating Title IX, because now they're holding ID camps during MI's and NY's seasons instead of CA's? Do colleges violate Title IX any month that they have an ID camp during some states' HS season? So, in other words, they can only hold ID camps in May and June without breaking federal law?

I don't always call people names. Are you telling me that completely ignoring the fact that more than half of the states in the US have a different HS soccer season than CA is not myopic and self-absorbed? Those seem to be the exact right words. Most states have soccer in the fall, and some like Texas and Georgia even go well into April. College ID camps will always conflict with some states' HS seasons regardless of when they have them.
No, I am telling you that CIF penalizing soccer players for attending college soccer ID camps means they are treating female soccer players differently than male football players due to institutional inertia. Different treatment if the sexes is a Title IX violation. This is only an issue in California. Why are you so obtuse and confrontational?

No, I am telling you that CIF penalizing soccer players for attending college soccer ID camps means they are treating female soccer players differently than male football players due to institutional inertia. Different treatment if the sexes is a Title IX violation. This is only an issue in California. Why are you so obtuse and confrontational?

You can make this argument until your grandchildren graduate high school and neither CIF nor the courts are going to treat it seriously.

After a year and a few games in all we have to say is high school soccer is awful. Per my two girls, “wish we could pass but it’s better than taking PE”. The competition is awful, the coaching is worse, opposing teams and fans are foul, etc.

After a year and a few games in all we have to say is high school soccer is awful. Per my two girls, “wish we could pass but it’s better than taking PE”. The competition is awful, the coaching is worse, opposing teams and fans are foul, etc.
That's too bad for your kids and their school. I won;t ask what HS. My dd got a great compliment from one of her club coaches who said he's been watching some D1 HSS teams this year and he's been impressed with our sharing of the ball. He said our team is passing the rock the best from what he can see and all seem to get along real well Chemistry is key to any run into CIF playoffs, if we make playoffs. I'm not here to say were a top team at all either, just that the girls are having so much fun playing together, like each other and they share the ball. Our coach has been excellent too :) This is my dd last year. Refs need to pull yellow cards quickly and stop the hacking. That has not changed and I'm scared every time my kid plays soccer. Hack city sometimes and if ref makes no call, they hack away. Were not playing to win at all cost until league.

Completely agree that it isn't great soccer for most schools. If the only thing you are trying to get out of it is great soccer, you will likely be disappointed. However, my dd loves hss for reasons other than the actual soccer. Her school is a competitive D1 program, so the soccer is not awful but certainly not on the level of her ECNL team. Her hss coach is a former D1 college player and club coach, but the coach is clearly trying to develop the girls as people more than she is trying to develop them as soccer players. However, my dd loves hss for the social aspect of it as her group of friends and sense of community have grown by being on the hss team. I also think the less intense nature of hss provides her with a break from her club team that she appreciates. Overall, she is quite happy playing hss and is glad she doesn't have to skip it as DA would've required.

All that said, my dd has club teammates at other schools who hate hss. I think a lot of it has to do with the culture of hss program and/or coach. I am sorry your dd's aren't in a hss program that they are able to enjoy.

Completely agree that it isn't great soccer for most schools. If the only thing you are trying to get out of it is great soccer, you will likely be disappointed. However, my dd loves hss for reasons other than the actual soccer. Her school is a competitive D1 program, so the soccer is not awful but certainly not on the level of her ECNL team. Her hss coach is a former D1 college player and club coach, but the coach is clearly trying to develop the girls as people more than she is trying to develop them as soccer players. However, my dd loves hss for the social aspect of it as her group of friends and sense of community have grown by being on the hss team. I also think the less intense nature of hss provides her with a break from her club team that she appreciates. Overall, she is quite happy playing hss and is glad she doesn't have to skip it as DA would've required.

All that said, my dd has club teammates at other schools who hate hss. I think a lot of it has to do with the culture of hss program and/or coach. I am sorry your dd's aren't in a hss program that they are able to enjoy.
Seems to depend on whether they are playing Varsity or JV and the quality of the players around them both soccer wise and socially. Talked to our club parents and that is where the line is. If they are a talented club player that didn't make varsity they will be miserable. Playing at a slower pace, less skilled teammates and bad competition. If they are young playing with other club players on varsity they may be bit overwhelmed with the size and speed of the upperclassmen and risk injury. So far my DD is liking it. Coach is good and plays a possession game rather than the boom ball you see on a lot of teams. So far so good.

Both my girls transitioned from DA to ECNL. Both varsity first year playing. They agree on some points the better points. Team is stacked with mostly DA/now ECNL players w and who have known each other long term. Coach is awful. For them high school experience minimum. They rather be off.

Last edited:
Back