High School Soccer Starts Today (15 Nov) in the CIF Southern Section

How much does it cost to use a company like GotSport to keep track of a tournament?
HS tournament scores / standings tracking would be better of if we sent a fax after each game for updates.

Maxpreps reports the scores of all the games that are reported to that site. Some HS tournaments have their own websites.

Here is one example --

How much does it cost to use a company like GotSport to keep track of a tournament?
HS tournament scores / standings tracking would be better of if we sent a fax after each game for updates.
Don't know about GotSport cost, but TGS charges flat fee of $399 for a tournament.

Anyone know why schools don't try to do a "Friday Night Lights" type of thing for soccer?
Why not have games (at least Varsity) on Fridays? Rally the students to show up. Maybe get the band and some cheerleaders out there.
Our league games will be Wednesday and Friday at 7 PM. Rather have my teenager playing soccer on a Friday night then just about anything else.

They should have girls varsity and boys varsity play back to back on Friday nights and make it a big deal for students to attend.

When I was involved with high school soccer a few years back, that happened once or twice a year. Even when it was Senior Night, the crowds weren't notably bigger. The usual family and sweethearts attended, but not much of the student body.

My DD (high school player) was going to attend a College ID camp by TGS tomorrow...however, it was denied by CIF because it is being run by a recruiting company and not by actual college coaches. Thoughts?

My DD (high school player) was going to attend a College ID camp by TGS tomorrow...however, it was denied by CIF because it is being run by a recruiting company and not by actual college coaches. Thoughts?

Did they say what CIF regulation that would have violated?

This is what was sent to us:

We have denied this request for another school as a College ID camp, as it does not appear to be run by college coaches. Looks like it is run by recruiting company.

Here is the language from our greenbook:

Attendance at College ID camps in all sports

1. With CIFSDS prior approval, student-athletes are permitted to attend two college ID camps in any given season of

sport. Attendance at any camp beyond two ID camps is a violation and would result in the penalties described in 601.A.

2. A College ID camp is defined as a sport specific camp, held on a college campus under the direction of a college coach.

3. Student athletes must receive permission from the site sport head coach and the Athletic Director/Administrator prior

to attending the ID camp. ID camp participation form must be completed, signed and approved by CIFSDS prior to a

student attending. Participation in an ID camp without prior approval would result in the penalties described in 601.A.

4. Camp flyer or link to camp website must be forwarded to the CIFSDS office along with completed ID camp

participation form.

5. The section office will list approved college ID camps on the CIFSDS web site for reference purposes. (Approved Board

of Managers)

We have denied this request for another school as a College ID camp, as it does not appear to be run by college coaches. Looks like it is run by recruiting company.

1. With CIFSDS prior approval, student-athletes are permitted to attend two college ID camps in any given season of

sport. Attendance at any camp beyond two ID camps is a violation and would result in the penalties described in 601.A.

2. A College ID camp is defined as a sport specific camp, held on a college campus under the direction of a college coach.

3. Student athletes must receive permission from the site sport head coach and the Athletic Director/Administrator prior

to attending the ID camp. ID camp participation form must be completed, signed and approved by CIFSDS prior to a

student attending. Participation in an ID camp without prior approval would result in the penalties described in 601.A.

4. Camp flyer or link to camp website must be forwarded to the CIFSDS office along with completed ID camp

participation form.

5. The section office will list approved college ID camps on the CIFSDS web site for reference purposes. (Approved Board

of Managers)

Taking that regulation at face value, any activity, even when called a "college ID camp" by its organizers, that is not "held on a college campus under the direction of a college coach", is therefore not a college ID camp as defined (they even us the word "defined") in their regulation, and therefore is outside the scope of the regulation.

In what world does CIF benefit by restricting players from ID Camps? Aren't high schools supposed to support kids education? Yet, they restrict how many college ID camps these kids can attend? This is ridiculous.

Honestly, I would just go to camps that benefit my kid. CIF is not going to find out if you don't post on social media about it.

In what world does CIF benefit by restricting players from ID Camps? Aren't high schools supposed to support kids education? Yet, they restrict how many college ID camps these kids can attend? This is ridiculous.

Honestly, I would just go to camps that benefit my kid. CIF is not going to find out if you don't post on social media about it.

I have seen many player responses to ID camp or on-campus tryout situations. Some players will just sit on the sidelines during anything like simulated game situations, but may participate in timed runs, ballhandling, or shooting drills. Some limit themselves to small-sided games, 5 or fewer, which are not considered to be violations by their local governing bodies. Others just take the hit by reporting themselves and sitting out the two-game suspension (that was the penalty in San Diego Section a few years ago, but those things differ from section to section and year to year). There is usually a gap of a few days between the end of the college season and the start of high school season that allows for a "legal" ID camp for some players, but the player may get dark looks from his club coach if he misses a game.

I really don't know if the long arm of CIF extends to prohibit private soccer training sessions, speed and agility workouts, or yoga classes.

I have seen many player responses to ID camp or on-campus tryout situations. Some players will just sit on the sidelines during anything like simulated game situations, but may participate in timed runs, ballhandling, or shooting drills. Some limit themselves to small-sided games, 5 or fewer, which are not considered to be violations by their local governing bodies. Others just take the hit by reporting themselves and sitting out the two-game suspension (that was the penalty in San Diego Section a few years ago, but those things differ from section to section and year to year). There is usually a gap of a few days between the end of the college season and the start of high school season that allows for a "legal" ID camp for some players, but the player may get dark looks from his club coach if he misses a game.

I really don't know if the long arm of CIF extends to prohibit private soccer training sessions, speed and agility workouts, or yoga classes.
Someday someone will sue CIF for a Title IX violation since this impacts female soccer players and not male football players due to the arbitrary scheduling if the HS seasons compared to college seasons.

participation form.

of Managers)
I have stupid question....Is it not enough college ID camps and showcases throughout a year, that your DD must attend one during a HS season?

I have stupid question....Is it not enough college ID camps and showcases throughout a year, that your DD must attend one during a HS season?
College and high school football seasons are the same time of year, so college football camps do not happen during HS football season. So male football players do not have a CIF conflict. College soccer season is in the fall. California HS soccer season is in the winter when colleges are having soccer ID camps. This means the largest HS participation sport for females conflicts with college ID camp schedule but the largest participation sport for males does not.

College and high school football seasons are the same time of year, so college football camps do not happen during HS football season. So male football players do not have a CIF conflict. College soccer season is in the fall. California HS soccer season is in the winter when colleges are having soccer ID camps. This means the largest HS participation sport for females conflicts with college ID camp schedule but the largest participation sport for males does not.

I agree with your sentiment, but the argument is weak.

Someday someone will sue CIF for a Title IX violation since this impacts female soccer players and not male football players due to the arbitrary scheduling if the HS seasons compared to college seasons.

If they did, it would be one of the shortest lawsuits in history. First, the fact that HS girls have opportunities to attend college ID camps both during and outside HS season, when that is apparently not an option for male football players, is actually a benefit to girls because they have more options. So, unless you're trying to suggest that the boys have a Title IX claim because they are getting screwed because the University of Alabama only has camps in the spring, it makes no sense that girls are being deprived anything because they have more options.

Second, because HS boys and girls both have the opportunity to attend HS soccer ID camps during the season, there is no disparate treatment because boys and girls have the same opportunities.

Third, a HS and CIF have no control over when colleges ID camps. They are therefore not discriminating against anyone or depriving anyone of an opportunity because it is not taking any adverse action against a kid.

Fourth, the last time I checked, the weather cannot be a Title IX defendant although it is the reason soccer is played in winter in CA but, drumroll please, at the same time as football in Michigan and New York. Honestly, it's pretty myopic and self-absorbed to assume that everything is exactly the same as where you happen to be.

If they did, it would be one of the shortest lawsuits in history. First, the fact that HS girls have opportunities to attend college ID camps both during and outside HS season, when that is apparently not an option for male football players, is actually a benefit to girls because they have more options. So, unless you're trying to suggest that the boys have a Title IX claim because they are getting screwed because the University of Alabama only has camps in the spring, it makes no sense that girls are being deprived anything because they have more options.

Second, because HS boys and girls both have the opportunity to attend HS soccer ID camps during the season, there is no disparate treatment because boys and girls have the same opportunities.

Third, a HS and CIF have no control over when colleges ID camps. They are therefore not discriminating against anyone or depriving anyone of an opportunity because it is not taking any adverse action against a kid.

Fourth, the last time I checked, the weather cannot be a Title IX defendant although it is the reason soccer is played in winter in CA but, drumroll please, at the same time as football in Michigan and New York. Honestly, it's pretty myopic and self-absorbed to assume that everything is exactly the same as where you happen to be.
Most college soccer camps happen between fall and spring seasons, which is when California HS plays soccer. CIF is a California Interscholastic Federation. California HS soccer is in the winter because the football coaches that ran CIF back in the day didn't want to share the fields. Why don't they move football to the winter and see how many football players have problems attending ID camps because of CIF? More HD students play soccer than football now. Shouldn't football have to compromise more now? And Golden gate, why do you always have to call people names?

Back