High School Soccer Shout Outs!!!!

So its been a very long time since I’ve been on this sight and even longer since I’ve posted. Just a heads up I had trouble all day trying to log in and still couldn’t get on so I had to register under a different username my previous name was prenticefour. So my son aged out and is playing in college and my daughter is a senior playing for her high school team and for an ECNL team for club. She chose this path as far as club goes because her high school usually does very well. She could of played DA but chose not too for the sole purpose of playing for her high school team.

Ive only seen a few of your post soccerhelper and you seem like a positive and good parent but I do believe if your daughters team would of beat PV and beat La Serna and were now going to play Flintridge Prep and you were given info
that I was given you would be singing a different tune in regards to DA players. The rules and guidelines should be the same for both private and public schools.

Last night my daughter woke me up in the middle of the night and told me Flintridge Prep has six DA players and wanted to find out how there aloud to do that? Then she said I’m going to look it up and I will be back. She returns and says I’ve figured it out. She says they can be a non rostered player for the DA team and be removed from the roster during high school. They have to sign a waiver and be offered an athletic or merit scholarship and then they would be able to play. Then she says the problem is if you go to Flintridge Preps website it specifically says it does not offer Athletic or Merit scholarships. So when she looked up the players they all play for the same DA team in different age goups and for the same coach and that coach is also the coach for for Flintridge Prep. Not bad detective work!

The biggest part of this that bothered my daughter was she followed the rules and made her choice to play high school and feels its not fair for a private school to be able to do both! She has four DA players from her school that decided to play DA and feels they to should of been able to do both. Honestly I don’t think Flintridge is breaking any CIF rules but the DA is definitely looking into there club but from the looks of the days events there may not be a club soon! The DA’s big thing is no high school soccer and you have a DA coach of three teams coaching a high school team! Unbelievable!

I don’t feel the DA players on this team change the game and I feel my daughters team will do just fine but the rules should apply to everyone. This is just like Baker and even a little like the Salesians and Cathedral on the boys side. It’s high school soccer not college and there should be some rules on recruiting and scholarships but from the looks of it things wont be changing anytime soon!

Best of luck to all the teams playing in the Quarterfinals this week!
My daughter graduated HS last year but last year Flintridge preps coach didn’t coach a DA team but all his club players went to FP as well - I’m sure on scholarships because he had 8 of his So Cal Academy players on the team (01/00 age group) so unless they went DA this year, I think they are eleigible. But like I said I’m out of the loop now that my DD is in college soccer (which BTW is not as fun as club)

For anybody interested in watching the finals:

D1 Finals
Great game. How horrible of soccer was that? On Foxsports TV, fans, community, mayor, alumni and all the students and players playing and watching soccer at its purest. Look at that joy of winning with the girls. If I hear one more club soccer coach tell me or someone else how horrible HS Soccer is I will tell him to watch this game and ask him to figure out why most girls want to play for their school. Just look at them. Upland is very good and so was Corona (Satiago). Tough way to lose in Soccer. To the young girl who missed that PK, that was a great attempt. Keep your head up like Kobe always did. My dd missed a PK at State Cup and she still has pain from missing and her team not advancing. I felt the pain as a parent because I had to help my dd through a tough loss and her PK miss. Go HS Soccer!!!

Great game. How horrible of soccer was that? On Foxsports TV, fans, community, mayor, alumni and all the students and players playing and watching soccer at its purest. Look at that joy of winning with the girls. If I hear one more club soccer coach tell me or someone else how horrible HS Soccer is I will tell him to watch this game and ask him to figure out why most girls want to play for their school. Just look at them. Upland is very good and so was Corona (Satiago). Tough way to lose in Soccer. To the young girl who missed that PK, that was a great attempt. Keep your head up like Kobe always did. My dd missed a PK at State Cup and she still has pain from missing and her team not advancing. I felt the pain as a parent because I had to help my dd through a tough loss and her PK miss. Go HS Soccer!!!
Only The United States Girls Soccer Development Academy League, controlled by a few, do NOT allow public school kids access to their YNT league unless they surrender their freedom and not play with their friends for a few months out of the year. They tell all the players in the DA and DPL that their developing them because they have YNT potential and because of that 1% potential, they forbid the students in the academy, to play horrible hs soccer. However, if student goes to private school, and they want to do both hs soccer and DA, they will gladly hand them a permission slip to allow them to enjoy the fruits of being watched in HS by all their friends and family and by the US YNT scouts at the DA. "Hello, anyone home?" That game was cool. Not perfect, but full of heart and community. High School Soccer Rules and so does College Soccer. YNT and Pros not looking good from my view and all the research I have done. ECNL and some regulation makes sense to me right about now.

I took the day off to go, but then my daughter decided to miss curfew by an hour the night before. So she/we missed out on seeing it in person..wish she could have suited up for that game so I could have punished her another way! haha
Some girls are hard to watch 24/7....lol

Some girls are hard to watch 24/7....lol
lol..she has never really been in trouble before..Very good kid, but I am hoping this one time will be the last time. She missed out on the game, and she has had her phone taken away..so I know she has be feeling it.

and yes @socalkdg PK's is not a good way..I agree. But watching that game last night, I kind of got the feeling that Upland was losing steam very late, whereas Santiago still looked kind of fresh, and I know they had studs on the bench that could have made an impact. So maybe it was inevitable..I'll take it either way though. Proud Shark Dad here!

lol..she has never really been in trouble before..Very good kid, but I am hoping this one time will be the last time. She missed out on the game, and she has had her phone taken away..so I know she has be feeling it.

and yes @socalkdg PK's is not a good way..I agree. But watching that game last night, I kind of got the feeling that Upland was losing steam very late, whereas Santiago still looked kind of fresh, and I know they had studs on the bench that could have made an impact. So maybe it was inevitable..I'll take it either way though. Proud Shark Dad here!
The phone take away is all we got left dude. My dd is hooked on hers and talks to her friends all day. They take pics and smile at each other. I control switch for internet and I know where she's at all times. I gave her extra batteries as well so no excuses. When the phone dies I hire my PI friend who lives in Laguna and he will find her. No boyfriends allowed, they can cause problems. A nice date from someone who ask her out and with others, ok, no problem. I think how I would have handled things and I must say it would be hard to get away with my nonsense when I was 15 or 16 years old back in 81'

Last edited:
Santiago lost 2-0. Heard it was an ugly game with a different starting rotation than normal..not too sure about either as I was not there..but still nothing to be ashamed of..great season for a great group of girls.

Congrats to all the ladies who played Varsity HS Soccer this year and put school & friends first, instead of individual world-class training. I don;t have any judgement on those who continue playing the DA Way. However, if you're in 8th grade or you're dd is a current soccer player but was told HS Soccer is horrible and dangerous, I would encourage you to reconsider. I want as many top players as possible to come out next year. Here's why:

Why Play HS Soccer
1. It's super fun
2. For underclassman like my dd, who last year was a Fr and a new student to Laguna, it was life saving:) When she would make a nice play against the other teams, our bench would yell, "She's a Freshman."
3. Seniors kidnap the Fr at the beginning of the season around 5:30am without them knowing. Take them out for a little breakfast and dress them up for school that day :)
4. Hang with and play against 17 and 18 year olds
5. School Pride
6. Community Pride
7. Helps with confidence as one is going through life
8. Try and win CIF Championship

Risks
1. Injury
2. Play a different position
3. Set you back from true development
4. Club coach thinks your dumb for even wanting to play HS Soccer with your friends from school
5. It's free
6. Others will not like it either and will tell you like things like my dd case, "She can get hurt." and "we need her back healthy." or, "HS Soccer is unwatchable"
7. If you play HS Soccer, you will forget how to play possession
8. If waivers go away mid-season and then your blocked from returning to the GDA second half of the season (only applies to Private School kids).

Why Play HS Soccer
9. Seeing your DD literally jump for joy after important games and seeing her smiling ear to ear with her high school team mates. (even when you watch the YNT games after winning, don't really see them leaping into the air from joy)
10. getting a break from the "job of elite soccer" and playing for the fun and comraderie
10. getting recognition from her school peers and building up real relationships with those she spends every day of the week with for years
11. being a part of a community and bonding with the families that surround her on a daily basis.
12. seeing your high school accolades on your college soccer resume (college coaches value this experience otherwise they would not have high school championships and accolades on their website)

Risks? would move #2 "Play a different position" #5 "It's free" into the pro category

Why Play HS Soccer
9. Seeing your DD literally jump for joy after important games and seeing her smiling ear to ear with her high school team mates. (even when you watch the YNT games after winning, don't really see them leaping into the air from joy)
10. getting a break from the "job of elite soccer" and playing for the fun and comraderie
10. getting recognition from her school peers and building up real relationships with those she spends every day of the week with for years
11. being a part of a community and bonding with the families that surround her on a daily basis.
12. seeing your high school accolades on your college soccer resume (college coaches value this experience otherwise they would not have high school championships and accolades on their website)

Risks? would move #2 "Play a different position" #5 "It's free" into the pro category
All good reasons! Especially your second #10, which I think is what my DD misses most not being able to play.
I do see both jumping and joy after YNT wins though ;)

Attachments

• 0D96B9F7-DDF2-44B9-B588-634A9FB63976.jpeg
    0D96B9F7-DDF2-44B9-B588-634A9FB63976.jpeg
    988.4 KB · Views: 10
Congrats to all the ladies who played Varsity HS Soccer this year and put school & friends first, instead of individual world-class training. I don;t have any judgement on those who continue playing the DA Way. However, if you're in 8th grade or you're dd is a current soccer player but was told HS Soccer is horrible and dangerous, I would encourage you to reconsider. I want as many top players as possible to come out next year. Here's why:

Why Play HS Soccer
1. It's super fun
2. For underclassman like my dd, who last year was a Fr and a new student to Laguna, it was life saving:) When she would make a nice play against the other teams, our bench would yell, "She's a Freshman."
3. Seniors kidnap the Fr at the beginning of the season around 5:30am without them knowing. Take them out for a little breakfast and dress them up for school that day :)
4. Hang with and play against 17 and 18 year olds
5. School Pride
6. Community Pride
7. Helps with confidence as one is going through life
8. Try and win CIF Championship

Risks
1. Injury
2. Play a different position
3. Set you back from true development
4. Club coach thinks your dumb for even wanting to play HS Soccer with your friends from school
5. It's free
6. Others will not like it either and will tell you like things like my dd case, "She can get hurt." and "we need her back healthy." or, "HS Soccer is unwatchable"
7. If you play HS Soccer, you will forget how to play possession
8. If waivers go away mid-season and then your blocked from returning to the GDA second half of the season (only applies to Private School kids).

Seeing your player come up big & win a CIF championship in dramatic fashion. Rings can get expensive but there really nice.

Playing with friends again after so many years, reuniting u9 teammates and have a great time with them again one last time before everyone is off to college, life, etc.

Nice article from the South bay. I wills say for the record that the South Bay produces some serious soccer talent. PV was tough. It's too bad all the DA kids are now forbidenn to set foot on a HS Soccer field.

After nearly three decades, the Mira Costa girls’ soccer team has finally won a CIF-Southern Section championship.

The Mustangs sealed the deal with a 5-1 victory over Oak Hills in the Division 2 final at Warren High School in Downey last Saturday.

Mira Costa head coach Patty Perkinson can now call herself a CIF champion.

“In the CIF final, we left it all on the field,” Mira Costa’s Grace Watkins said. “We played a complete game and got everyone involved.”

Watkins, who has played with the U-18 National Team, is going to play in college at Duke. She scored the winning goal against Oak Park that made it 2-0 in the first half.

Senior captain and goalie Ashley Naylor, who posted three shutouts leading up to the championship, said winning in the final was absolutely incredible, especially after losing the year before.

“After losing in both finals last year, we knew that this was going to be our year and as captains, we have kept a positive energy with the team all season and have been preparing for this,” said Naylor, who is going to play for Notre Dame this fall.

Back