High School Football and Club Soccer in the Fall?

Anyone have experience with their kid doing both? Most likely my incoming Freshman son will be a kicker/punter only for football. That means we could limit days for football practice so that he can go to soccer. However, he's above average size and very athletic (plays baseball on the elite level too) so football coaches might want him on the field. If football is demanding, I'm thinking of having my son skip club this year and we can focus on keeper specific training. We get a lot of requests to guest for summer tournaments, so he'll have plenty of game opportunities over the summer along with the Freshman high school soccer league.

Anyone have experience with their kid doing both? Most likely my incoming Freshman son will be a kicker/punter only for football. That means we could limit days for football practice so that he can go to soccer. However, he's above average size and very athletic (plays baseball on the elite level too) so football coaches might want him on the field. If football is demanding, I'm thinking of having my son skip club this year and we can focus on keeper specific training. We get a lot of requests to guest for summer tournaments, so he'll have plenty of game opportunities over the summer along with the Freshman high school soccer league.

A few years back our club's oldest boys team had three different HS football kickers on the roster.

Depends on the high school program and the club soccer coach. I know that at my kids high school it would be impossible to do both due to the demands from the football coaches.

The kid has to really want to do both. My youngest has done cross country with club soccer in the fall and now track and soccer. She leaves track practice early to get to her club practice. She starts school at 6:56 and is on campus until 4 and then we drive to the great park where she practices until 7. After that she has to go home and do homework for 5 honors/AP level courses. Not an easy life and not one I would want to encourage my kid to do unless they were the driving force asking to do it all. And then I would only allow it to continue as long as the grades are UC level good.

If the grades drop so does a sport commitment.

I have known of it being done at a smaller high school...punter/kicker only had to come to practice 1x/week and the game. It was a small HS so football coach was willing to be flexible.

I have known of it being done at a smaller high school...punter/kicker only had to come to practice 1x/week and the game. It was a small HS so football coach was willing to be flexible.

A coach in our club had been a kicker his senior year in hs. The football coach said he only had to make practice the day before games. He was a big kid and a long kicker - no one returned a kickoff against his team all year.

Depends on the high school program and the club soccer coach. I know that at my kids high school it would be impossible to do both due to the demands from the football coaches.

The kid has to really want to do both. My youngest has done cross country with club soccer in the fall and now track and soccer. She leaves track practice early to get to her club practice. She starts school at 6:56 and is on campus until 4 and then we drive to the great park where she practices until 7. After that she has to go home and do homework for 5 honors/AP level courses. Not an easy life and not one I would want to encourage my kid to do unless they were the driving force asking to do it all. And then I would only allow it to continue as long as the grades are UC level good.

If the grades drop so does a sport commitment.
Wow, Respect! I am concerned with academics as well. I like how you set a specific standard of grades having to be UC level. He'll have just 1 honors course and will probably take health over the summer so he can have a 2nd elective, hopefully one with little home work.

My son did it this past season... he was a field player in football NOT a kicker/punter. The school had firm rules that they had to be at all practices and trainings, kickers practice less but usually still need to be there with the team. What was brutal was that after 4-5 hours of football he would then go straight to club or goalie training 4 nights a week for another 90 -120 minutes! When school started balancing homework with 2 practices was TOUGH for the first 2 months until 10/31 the last freshman football game!!
It can be done if your child really wants it!

My son is an 05 keeper and played freshmen football this season. Not only was he the kicker/punter, but also WR and DE/LB. It was a challenge, but we were up front with his club coach, so he knew what was going on. Now that HS soccer season is over, he's now doing volleyball. The V-Ball coach is a little hard to work with, gotta leave early to get to club soccer practice, but it is what it is. My son knows that V-Ball is just for fun and as long as his grades don't slip, I'm good with it.

Yes, it can be done - a lot of it depends on the school and the football coach and what flexibility is there. Even a big high school can make it work depending on the coaches’ attitudes

Back