Heatwatch (August 26/27/28)

No disrespect to your position, but that's a tad crazy. 100 ain't a lot. I grew up playing (riding bikes, motorcycles, running, competitive sports) for hours on end in 100-110 weather all summer. No one dropped back then (30 yrs ago). Drink lots of water.
No disrespect to your position, but that's a tad crazy. 100 ain't a lot. I grew up playing (riding bikes, motorcycles, running, competitive sports) for hours on end in 100-110 weather all summer. No one dropped back then (30 yrs ago). Drink lots of water.
Ya, we all did. But we also stopped ran in the house made COOL AID, ran out again. Stopped sat under a tree, ran again, biked, stopped ran in a house again to get something. All that is great but it is not sustained running for 30, 40, 45 minutes. Even if you hydrate for a few days before, heat stroke and illness can still happen. Just be cognizant of how each player is doing and know what to do in the event a player is overcome by the heat.

There is a also a middle ground here and that is "heat acclimation." Inland athletes should be much more acclimated to the heat, whereas, coastal kids may have issues. For my "inland" athlete, 100 degrees is hot, but nothing that his system isn't acclimated too. A kid (or referee) from a more temperate climate is going to struggle, especially if not in good shape or well hydrated.

I don't know how it was in Silverlakes yesterday, but Irvine wasn't that bad. I think the high was only about 89 according to my dashboard. Saturday morning was actually worse because it was unusually humid. But definitely have seen them play in much worse conditions before. We once had a game in San Bernardino that was 108. The tournament shortened the halves and gave plenty of water breaks, and there were no issues. But it was a dry heat. Ha.

I was at silverlakes all sat and sun. Sunday was better than Saturday. The only really tough time was for about an hour around noon as it was hot and no wind yet. Once the wind kicked in it was good. Mornings were really pleasant.

I was at silverlakes all sat and sun. Sunday was better than Saturday. The only really tough time was for about an hour around noon as it was hot and no wind yet. Once the wind kicked in it was good. Mornings were really pleasant.
That's not possible. All games should have been shut down. Children were supposed to spontaneously combust into ashes. Do you care about the kids? You're a typical play and win at all costs parent. Sheesh.

That's not possible. All games should have been shut down. Children were supposed to spontaneously combust into ashes. Do you care about the kids? You're a typical play and win at all costs parent. Sheesh.

You are probably one of those fat Cal South guys with a beer belly driving around in a golf cart...

Back