Head gear?

EmmaruthM

SILVER ELITE
My daughter is a big header girl... she says because she does them
Properly they never hurt but I'm concerned. And she's 12 .. though she thinks she knows everything she doesn't.
Any good ideas on head gear? I see on Amazon but is that the best? Or anything else...could stick her in a football helmet but she may protest.

Thanks!

My daughter is a big header girl... she says because she does them
Properly they never hurt but I'm concerned. And she's 12 .. though she thinks she knows everything she doesn't.
Any good ideas on head gear? I see on Amazon but is that the best? Or anything else...could stick her in a football helmet but she may protest.

Thanks!

What do you want from it?

I don't know really... just concerned about down the road issues... maybe less impact on head?

None of the available soccer-style headwraps will do much if anything to mitigate the possibility of concussion. Most of them will reduce the likelihood of cuts and external bruises. Full-wrap helmets like this
%25C4%258Dech.jpg

offer better protection, but they are uncomfortable (weight, heat) for field players and are usually only seen on goalkeepers.

Reactions: KJR
None of the available soccer-style headwraps will do much if anything to mitigate the possibility of concussion. Most of them will reduce the likelihood of cuts and external bruises. Full-wrap helmets like this
%25C4%258Dech.jpg

offer better protection, but they are uncomfortable (weight, heat) for field players and are usually only seen on goalkeepers.
Get up to date Espola.....science has come a long way. Look up XRD Foam from Rogers USA.

Get up to date Espola.....science has come a long way. Look up XRD Foam from Rogers USA.

A concussion injury occurs when the brain slaps into the inside of the skull when the head suddenly accelerates or decelerates. Unless you have a product that will hold the head immobile, or one that provides padding inside the skull, your money is wasted.

A concussion injury occurs when the brain slaps into the inside of the skull when the head suddenly accelerates or decelerates. Unless you have a product that will hold the head immobile, or one that provides padding inside the skull, your money is wasted.

I think you may have had too many concussions as a kid.....

Okay lets try this, take a rubber super ball, I am sure you still play with one, bring a yard stick with you, drop the ball from the top of the yard stick on to a hard surface,wood, concrete, tile, whatever, and measure how high the ball bounces up into the air. Now take the same ball, the same yard stick, the same surface and a piece of foam 1/8 of an inch thick. Place the foam in the landing area of the ball. Drop the ball from the top of the yard stick again and measure how high the ball bounces. Repeat several times if necessary. You will note that in the second scenario the ball "rebounds" to a much lower height, as less force is transferred to the ball causing it to accelerate in the opposite direction at a lower speed.

Force = mass x acceleration. If you can slow the acceleration of an object effectively prior to impact, the FORCE will be decreased. If you decrease the force with which the object impacts your head, you will decrease the "Slap" inside your skull. Equal and Opposite reactions.

I think you may have had too many concussions as a kid.....

Okay lets try this, take a rubber super ball, I am sure you still play with one, bring a yard stick with you, drop the ball from the top of the yard stick on to a hard surface,wood, concrete, tile, whatever, and measure how high the ball bounces up into the air. Now take the same ball, the same yard stick, the same surface and a piece of foam 1/8 of an inch thick. Place the foam in the landing area of the ball. Drop the ball from the top of the yard stick again and measure how high the ball bounces. Repeat several times if necessary. You will note that in the second scenario the ball "rebounds" to a much lower height, as less force is transferred to the ball causing it to accelerate in the opposite direction at a lower speed.

Force = mass x acceleration. If you can slow the acceleration of an object effectively prior to impact, the FORCE will be decreased. If you decrease the force with which the object impacts your head, you will decrease the "Slap" inside your skull. Equal and Opposite reactions.

Very few soccer players get concussions from being hit by baseballs, or even soccer balls, for that matter. The most common event is a head-to-head collision with another player (in which case both players might get concussed), with the ground (I got two of those - one skiing, and one playing soccer on carpet over asphalt), or with a hard object such as a goal post.

Very few soccer players get concussions from being hit by baseballs, or even soccer balls, for that matter. The most common event is a head-to-head collision with another player (in which case both players might get concussed), with the ground (I got two of those - one skiing, and one playing soccer on carpet over asphalt), or with a hard object such as a goal post.

Are you daft? The object does not matter, whether it is a ball, a head, a car door, a goal post, me banging my head against my desk because you don't get this, an elbow, a knee, another players head, it does not matter.

Our entire team wears these concussion headbands. They are required at every practice and every game otherwise you don't play. Playing against South Valley SC made us realize we needed these.

I hope
Are you daft? The object does not matter, whether it is a ball, a head, a car door, a goal post, me banging my head against my desk because you don't get this, an elbow, a knee, another players head, it does not matter.

Wow...you can type complete thoughts. Who knew?!?!?

The only way to prevent a concussion is to avoid contact. Therefore, the point of wearing headgear isn’t concussion prevention but reducing the effects of contact which may avoid a concussion or at least minimizing the concussion effect.

The only way to prevent a concussion is to avoid contact. Therefore, the point of wearing headgear isn’t concussion prevention but reducing the effects of contact which may avoid a concussion or at least minimizing the concussion effect.

The common soccer headgear is more useful preventing cuts and external bruises than preventing concussions. I am also concerned that players wearing them may be more aggressive with their heads, falsely believing that they are protected.

The common soccer headgear is more useful preventing cuts and external bruises than preventing concussions. I am also concerned that players wearing them may be more aggressive with their heads, falsely believing that they are protected.

So, if your car is equipped with a seat belt and airbags you drive more aggressively?
If you wear a bike helmet you don't have to ride safe?
A male lacrosse goalie will take less chances if he doesn't wear a cup?

Back