GunScare @ Albion Cup?

Agreed but there’s to many moving parts to get solidarity out of parents.
If we're going to unite as soccer parents for our kids, this incident should push us to do it. Hopefully everyone is contacting their DOC and Cal South to inquire about this matter. Give Cal South, Albion and Azteca a chance to do the right things regarding this matter. If it's inadequate, we should unite as parents to send a clear message that these sideline behaviors should not be tolerated and handled appropriately. I'm a fan of Cal South, but would unite behind this to make the youth soccer environment a safer place for our kids and future soccer players. Albion and Azteca should ban both team's parents from the sidelines for a year. Cal South should make it a mandatory rule going forward.

If Albion and Azteca choose to ignore the impact their sidelines' behavior affected all the children at Galway Downs, parents of both Clubs need to contact DOC and start speaking with their wallet. Move them to a different Club. There are plenty of great clubs in Southern California. If you choose to stay with Albion or Azteca, then you're a coward and we'll know that based on what your child is wearing and what sideline you sit on.

If CalSouth decides not to mandate serious penalties, then we need to remove our teams from CalSouth until they are willing to prioritize our children's safety. Any team choosing to stay in CalSouth would be accepting that their children can and will be subject to this type of harm.

As I am a fan generally a fan of these Clubs and CalSouth, I believe these Clubs and CalSouth will understand the severe harm caused to families and young children from this incident and remedy it. (Although Ziggy's comments didn't bring much confidence since he didn't address how discipline will be dealt out to his sideline, but I'm sure they are continuing to discuss this matter) Everyone who saw those videos can see the mass fear erupted by unnecessary actions of the sidelines. One spectator could have been controlled but an eruption of both sidelines created the mass fear.

Does anyone know if any of the people involved in the fight spent any time at the “Silverlakes Field House”?
I like a drink as much as anybody. But I don’t think a bar belongs at a youth soccer complex.

Albion. Do better and take some responsibility. Yes the kid who ran onto the field started it and yes he should face consequences, but please take ownership that your parents were just as eager to run onto the field as the other team.

There was more talk about tryouts in this clip than there was about mayhem that ensued this weekend.

Please. Do better. And Cal South...take note.

I so disagree with this! You can aim and work to win without resorting to this crap. Please don't associate great competition and desire to win with poor sportsmanship, juvenile behavior, and violence. If anything, those who really desire to win and perform well should cherish rivalry and hard challenge from great teams. Thats what brings out the best in players and teams. Hard, great competition is a beautiful, amazing thing and has nothing to do with this poor behavior!! We keep score for a reason and kids need to be brought up to keep it on the field of competition. There is a lot of emotion in sports and competition. Again, in high school, home and away fans are separated.

Score is kept for a reason. There are tryouts for a reason. There are brackets and divisions inside tournaments for a reason. Don't conflate bad behavior from some with great competition and desire to win. It's very unfair!
Children are a direct reflection of their parents. If they lack sportsmanship, it’s because of their parents. If they’re respectful and good citizens, it’s because of their parents... The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.
Some parents never taught their kids how to compete! They grew up in the “everyone gets a trophy” era. Lol

Someone find the bracket that this Azteca team is going to play in for State Cup (assuming they are) and post a link, then let's be patient and see what punishment, if any is handed down by CalSouth. Hopefully, they are DQ'd from the tournament.

The more I learn/hear, the less culpable I think Albion South is in this ordeal. Anyone on this board saying that if their 10 year old son or daughter was sucker punched from someone who ran onto the field from the sideline, and would just keep their a** in their Costco folding chair and patiently watch from afar is not being truthful. Maybe Jane Fonda would because she's the pacifists' pacifist, but I'd lay good money down that 9 out of 10 Dad's/Mom's would do just as you see adults doing in this latest video. I didn't see any parents swinging, throwing punches or doing anything other than trying to grab and stop the nonsense. Maybe other video footage shows otherwise? But under the circumstance, I don't have a problem with parents running onto the field after the sucker-punch.

Agree with other posters saying this could have happened at any tournament---Surf, Galaxy, Legends, Blues etc.---we've all seen similar sideline conduct at all these tournaments. But, if things end after adults come out on the field and calm things down, nobody hears anything about it because it's become commonplace in youth soccer. BUT then you get the ultimate moron pretending he has a gun subsequently and chaos ensues. I don't buy the self-defense argument he has supposedly made--haven't yet seen one video or photo of him in a vulnerable position. Was "gun" guy wearing a Surf hoodie? :)

Last, it would be the responsibility of the refs to calm down the sideline EARLY if too much chatter. I've seen plenty toss parents or threaten a forfeit for their team if they didn't leave the sideline. They can't let chirping snowball into constant yelling, or worse running onto the field. Not sure what happened here. But nipping in the bud is always a good strategy.

Here is the Boys 09 Presidents Cup schedule:

Someone find the bracket that this Azteca team is going to play in for State Cup (assuming they are) and post a link, then let's be patient and see what punishment, if any is handed down by CalSouth. Hopefully, they are DQ'd from the tournament.

The more I learn/hear, the less culpable I think Albion South is in this ordeal. Anyone on this board saying that if their 10 year old son or daughter was sucker punched from someone who ran onto the field from the sideline, and would just keep their a** in their Costco folding chair and patiently watch from afar is not being truthful. Maybe Jane Fonda would because she's the pacifists' pacifist, but I'd lay good money down that 9 out of 10 Dad's/Mom's would do just as you see adults doing in this latest video. I didn't see any parents swinging, throwing punches or doing anything other than trying to grab and stop the nonsense. Maybe other video footage shows otherwise? But under the circumstance, I don't have a problem with parents running onto the field after the sucker-punch.

Agree with other posters saying this could have happened at any tournament---Surf, Galaxy, Legends, Blues etc.---we've all seen similar sideline conduct at all these tournaments. But, if things end after adults come out on the field and calm things down, nobody hears anything about it because it's become commonplace in youth soccer. BUT then you get the ultimate moron pretending he has a gun subsequently and chaos ensues. I don't buy the self-defense argument he has supposedly made--haven't yet seen one video or photo of him in a vulnerable position. Was "gun" guy wearing a Surf hoodie? :)

Last, it would be the responsibility of the refs to calm down the sideline EARLY if too much chatter. I've seen plenty toss parents or threaten a forfeit for their team if they didn't leave the sideline. They can't let chirping snowball into constant yelling, or worse running onto the field. Not sure what happened here. But nipping in the bud is always a good strategy.

good work @ItsJustSoccer . So can we confirm that this is the team (below)? CalSouth has plenty of time to investigate and kick them out before February 8th. Someone earlier asked about punishment for the sucker-puncher. Victim's parents would need to press charges for criminal action, and I don't see that happening unless the Albion kid is severely injured. Sounds like he's fine from news reports. So, the sucker-puncher can go down as the kid who got his brother's team kicked out of State Cup--that's a pretty good "Scarlet Letter". Since they are in Prez division and ranked 2nd, and in the Final of this past game, it's likely a pretty good team with hopes to go far in State Cup. CalSouth...will you have the courage? Let's hope so.

good work @ItsJustSoccer . So can we confirm that this is the team (below)? CalSouth has plenty of time to investigate and kick them out before February 8th. Someone earlier asked about punishment for the sucker-puncher. Victim's parents would need to press charges for criminal action, and I don't see that happening unless the Albion kid is severely injured. Sounds like he's fine from news reports. So, the sucker-puncher can go down as the kid who got his brother's team kicked out of State Cup--that's a pretty good "Scarlet Letter". Since they are in Prez division and ranked 2nd, and in the Final of this past game, it's likely a pretty good team with hopes to go far in State Cup. CalSouth...will you have the courage? Let's hope so.

We know certain things but there is still a lot up in the air, so I wouldn't rush to absolve anyone yet.

Does anyone know which side was Albion and which side was Azteca?

The kid who ran out and attacked the player came from the right side of the field, but the "gun" guy was on the left side of the field. In other words, who belonged to who?

Also real cool that the "gun" guy had ~5 mins to run away towards parking to only come back. Was it all pretend? Did he ditch it or hand it off? We'll probably never know.

It's not a horrible response. It's an honest response. If you think your natural parental instincts would allow you time to stay calm and digest the situation as your 9/10 year child is being attacked by an older person blindly out of nowhere, then kudos to you but my natural instincts would have been to pull that kid off and knock him out so he can't continue beating up on my kid. I'd probably get my asked kicked though. Cleaning porta potties, although a fantastic idea, may not prevent another attack by this teenager in the future. That teenager learned a good life lesson - you don't attack a younger child during a soccer match with their parents watching. You'll bear the consequences.

As for the guy who pretended he had a gun to prevent four people from continuing to beat up on him, let the cops decide whether he was telling the truth or doing the right thing based on their review of the evidence.

Both sidelines and teams should be punished severely for this situation because it lead to a lot of emotional harm. There was no reason for anyone but the parent of the child being hit to run out to the field. That's right, I don't believe in waiting for a ref or anyone to protect my child when s/he is being attacked. If that concussion blow lands before I get there, I'll never forgive myself.

Both sidelines should not be allowed at state cup and a one year ban from all youth soccer games. The kids playing can't be punished because I'm sure they were also traumatized in all this. No need to further punish the children.
I don't know about that, quit a few people agreed with me. Liked you better as a lurker calling my posts dumb.

If we're going to unite as soccer parents for our kids, this incident should push us to do it. Hopefully everyone is contacting their DOC and Cal South to inquire about this matter. Give Cal South, Albion and Azteca a chance to do the right things regarding this matter. If it's inadequate, we should unite as parents to send a clear message that these sideline behaviors should not be tolerated and handled appropriately. I'm a fan of Cal South, but would unite behind this to make the youth soccer environment a safer place for our kids and future soccer players. Albion and Azteca should ban both team's parents from the sidelines for a year. Cal South should make it a mandatory rule going forward.

If Albion and Azteca choose to ignore the impact their sidelines' behavior affected all the children at Galway Downs, parents of both Clubs need to contact DOC and start speaking with their wallet. Move them to a different Club. There are plenty of great clubs in Southern California. If you choose to stay with Albion or Azteca, then you're a coward and we'll know that based on what your child is wearing and what sideline you sit on.

If CalSouth decides not to mandate serious penalties, then we need to remove our teams from CalSouth until they are willing to prioritize our children's safety. Any team choosing to stay in CalSouth would be accepting that their children can and will be subject to this type of harm.

As I am a fan generally a fan of these Clubs and CalSouth, I believe these Clubs and CalSouth will understand the severe harm caused to families and young children from this incident and remedy it. (Although Ziggy's comments didn't bring much confidence since he didn't address how discipline will be dealt out to his sideline, but I'm sure they are continuing to discuss this matter) Everyone who saw those videos can see the mass fear erupted by unnecessary actions of the sidelines. One spectator could have been controlled but an eruption of both sidelines created the mass fear.
I do more than gripe.

I went directly to the board of a club to address a toxic situation with the support of parents on the team. At the end of the day, a few families were willing to reveal their identities and confirm my reports. Unfortunately, the bulk of the families backed out for the fear of repercussions from the club. Despite well documented evidence of abusive behavior, nothing was done by the club. We left the club and couldn't be happier. That's what our family has done. Every family has to make the decision that's best for them and find the situation they're comfortable with. However, I know a lot of parents will accept a lot of misbehavior to play on the top or winning team. Unfortunately, for every family that's willing to take a stand there's 10 families that are willing to play the "game".
i knew you were a stand up guy ....hmmm.... wonder what club you left, no secret.
Unfortunately there are not enough people like you.

I If you choose to stay with Albion or Azteca, then you're a coward and we'll know that based on what your child is wearing and what sideline you sit on.
So for example, a family with a 16 year old boy on a top team at Albion that has played there since Ulittles and likes his coach, teammates and other families that are all respectful, should pack it in now or they are cowards? Get real.

I will try to fill in the gaps as best as I can based on what I saw and was told. The Azteca side was the left side as you looked towards the team benches. Just minutes before the fight started, the Azteca coach received a yellow card after he argued a very questionable penalty call (my opinion) that resulted in Albion South getting a goal making the score 3-2 Azteca. Albion‘s first goal had also come on a penalty after Azteca had been winning the game 3-0. Both sides were very emotional at this point.

The teenage kid who ran out and sucker punched the Albion South player was an older sibling of an Azteca player. I don’t know why he ran out from the Albion side but probably because that was the part of the field where the skirmish started between the Azteca forward and Albion defender. As I understand it, after coming onto the field and participating in the melee, the backpack guy, who is an Azteca parent, returned to his seat on the sideline to retrieve his backpack. I don’t know if he ever left the scene. I was told that after making his gun threats he was calmed down advised by others to stay put so the Sheriffs Dept. could sort out his actions by looking at video. He complied with this and was cuffed and put into a car for about an hour while the Sheriffs looked at video and got control of the situation. He was then released and asked if he wanted to press charges against Albion South fans that had allegedly attacked him, which he declined.

And yes, these two teams are both very very good and consistently ranked in the top 5 in SoCal and top 10 nationally. Neither team has a reputation for bad behavior or dirty play that I am aware of.

We know certain things but there is still a lot up in the air, so I wouldn't rush to absolve anyone yet.

Does anyone know which side was Albion and which side was Azteca?

The kid who ran out and attacked the player came from the right side of the field, but the "gun" guy was on the left side of the field. In other words, who belonged to who?

Also real cool that the "gun" guy had ~5 mins to run away towards parking to only come back. Was it all pretend? Did he ditch it or hand it off? We'll probably never know.

Children are a direct reflection of their parents. If they lack sportsmanship, it’s because of their parents. If they’re respectful and good citizens, it’s because of their parents... The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.
I'm not sure how wrong a statement can be. Parents can guide their kids and provide the best conditions they can, but everyone is different and deals with stress / conflict differently. For evidence, see any family with one "respectful good citizen" and one not so respectful good citizen.

I will try to fill in the gaps as best as I can based on what I saw and was told. The Azteca side was the left side as you looked towards the team benches. Just minutes before the fight started, the Azteca coach received a yellow card after he argued a very questionable penalty call (my opinion) that resulted in Albion South getting a goal making the score 3-2 Azteca. Albion‘s first goal had also come on a penalty after Azteca had been winning the game 3-0. Both sides were very emotional at this point.

The teenage kid who ran out and sucker punched the Albion South player was an older sibling of an Azteca player. I don’t know why he ran out from the Albion side but probably because that was the part of the field where the skirmish started between the Azteca forward and Albion defender. As I understand it, after coming onto the field and participating in the melee, the backpack guy, who is an Azteca parent, returned to his seat on the sideline to retrieve his backpack. I don’t know if he ever left the scene. I was told that after making his gun threats he was calmed down advised by others to stay put so the Sheriffs Dept. could sort out his actions by looking at video. He complied with this and was cuffed and put into a car for about an hour while the Sheriffs looked at video and got control of the situation. He was then released and asked if he wanted to press charges against Albion South fans that had allegedly attacked him, which he declined.

And yes, these two teams are both very very good and consistently ranked in the top 5 in SoCal and top 10 nationally. Neither team has a reputation for bad behavior or dirty play that I am aware of.
Thank you, this was the one unknown I had and was baffled why an Azteca kid ran in from the Albion side. What the heck was that kid doing over there? SMH

It feels like it is coming down to pre and post breech of the field.

Both spectators pre-breech are guilty of horrible behavior towards each other and the officials, and both teams deserve to be aggressively punished on that alone, e.g., State Cup ban.

Post-breech, for individuals, we should be talking at a minimum multi-year (minor assualter) to permanent bans ("gun" guy) as well as additional responsibile team punishment, e.g., 6 month ban from Calsouth sanctioned tournaments.

We need to recognize that current punishments are not deterrents as behavior is only getting worse.

I'm not sure how wrong a statement can be. Parents can guide their kids and provide the best conditions they can, but everyone is different and deals with stress / conflict differently. For evidence, see any family with one "respectful good citizen" and one not so respectful good citizen.
Small percentage to support your evidence. I’m steadfast on my opinion of children being a reflection of their parents.

So for example, a family with a 16 year old boy on a top team at Albion that has played there since Ulittles and likes his coach, teammates and other families that are all respectful, should pack it in now or they are cowards? Get real.
It takes a little sacrifice to make a change for the better. If that's too much to grab your team to go to a different Club - then you are saying comfort and the status quo is sufficient.
To your get real point - It doesn't take every player to make the change, just a decent amount. People have changed clubs for a lot less reasons - we see it all the time on this board. There are plenty of players at Albion that are not in this situation and would be able to make that change. Surf Point Loma & Blast are right around the corner for the youngers. Rebels & Sharks ECNL would like some great players from the girls programs. NOMADS DA would love some boys from Albion DA programs.

I hope there are enough parents from Albion who care enough to take action and reach out to Noah Gins.

(619) 279-2812 (cell) ngins@albionsoccer.org

I hope there are enough parents on this forum who will reach out to Cal South.

CAL SOUTH EMAIL:

Cindy Quan
President and Chairman
760-887-0131
cquan@calsouth.com

Roy Carlson
Executive Vice President
858-603-5402
rcarlson@calsouth.com

Jerry Selby
Vice President of Youth
jselby@calsouth.com

District 5 Commissioner
(San Bernardino/Riverside Counties)
Louie De La Cruz
760-244-6878 – ldelacruz@calsouth.com

District 1 Commissioner
(San Diego/Imperial Counties)
Robert Pennoyer
619-988-5499 – rpennoyer@calsouth.com

Attachments

• 1579104812180.gif
    1579104812180.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 10
Still no official statement from Albion or Cal South?

I understand that the investigation is still on-going but it is in poor taste to not release anything. As someone that was at this event, I have personally received no communication or acknowledgement that something happened.

Has anyone else received anything?

Back