GunScare @ Albion Cup?

Suspend the player who’s sibling ran on the field and punched a player. Suspend the player who is connected to the guy that threatened to have a gun.
Why is this so difficult?

Cal south is not going to do anything as usual.. make general statement and walk away.

There a big part of the problem but let's just keep focusing on the few individuals and not take responsibility for enforcing code of conduct, having proper oversight, training, etc, it's everyone else problem we are only here to sanction and take your tournaments money. When the lawsuits roll in they will be forced to change as usual.

Suspend the player who’s sibling ran on the field and punched a player. Suspend the player who is connected to the guy that threatened to have a gun.
Why is this so difficult?

The violent sibling and the camo backpack guy should be the object of restraining orders keeping them away from any Cal South tournament location by now (Cal South surely has an attorney on retainer (or volunteer?) ). The rest of the family and teammates should be warned adequately by seeing that happen.

The violent sibling and the camo backpack guy should be the object of restraining orders keeping them away from any Cal South tournament location by now (Cal South surely has an attorney on retainer (or volunteer?) ). The rest of the family and teammates should be warned adequately by seeing that happen.
That would be fine.

However, if cal south can't manage it, then the games are not safe.

Would you want to ref a game for camo backpack guy? Or have your kid at his game?

I am 100% for reining in bad parent behaviors and holding parents and coaches and clubs responsible for maintaining a sane and appropriate and safe environment. That being said, there was no proof that camo bag guy did what he was accused of doing so how can cal south or anyone institute sanctions against him with a restraining order or any type of ban? This is a public venue .

What would it look like if the refs refused to call the game?
I get it, but it's not really the refs cross to bear. They would also fear losing $ and probably future assignments. Just like parents fear speaking out about their ill behaved coach for fear of retribution for their kid. And why clubs ignore or sweep under the rug the bad behavior of winning coaches to protect the Club's reputation. For club soccer today its ultimately about $ and/or prestige for the clubs, DOC's and coaches and bragging rights for the parents. The well-being of the kids is a distant second.

To me it not so much about the substantive safety changes made by Calsouth (although team and that team's parents on the same side is good policy). It's about the message you send when you hold everyone accountable for bad conduct. You can have all the rules you want about proper conduct, but if you don't enforce them they're meaningless.

I'm still holding out hope that Calsouth will follow through with punishment, but I'm not holding my breath. I suspect there maybe a lot of parents that are going to hold Calsouth's "feet to the fire" on this incident.

I am 100% for reining in bad parent behaviors and holding parents and coaches and clubs responsible for maintaining a sane and appropriate and safe environment. That being said, there was no proof that camo bag guy did what he was accused of doing so how can cal south or anyone institute sanctions against him with a restraining order or any type of ban? This is a public venue .

Since he would be the object of the proposed restraining order, he would have his chance to argue his position to the judge.

I get it, but it's not really the refs cross to bear. They would also fear losing $ and probably future assignments. Just like parents fear speaking out about their ill behaved coach for fear of retribution for their kid. And why clubs ignore or sweep under the rug the bad behavior of winning coaches to protect the Club's reputation. For club soccer today its ultimately about $ and/or prestige for the clubs, DOC's and coaches and bragging rights for the parents. The well-being of the kids is a distant second.

To me it not so much about the substantive safety changes made by Calsouth (although team and that team's parents on the same side is good policy). It's about the message you send when you hold everyone accountable for bad conduct. You can have all the rules you want about proper conduct, but if you don't enforce them they're meaningless.

I'm still holding out hope that Calsouth will follow through with punishment, but I'm not holding my breath. I suspect there maybe a lot of parents that are going to hold Calsouth's "feet to the fire" on this incident.

I too like the parents on the sidline of their bench. It doesnt stop all chaos. Last State Cup weekend a game got interupted as the manager and one of the teams parents getting in to it. I will give credit to CalSouth and the Ref Coordinators as they were immediately on it in force.

Cal South needs to be real on this one. If it happens twice, say goodbye to your out if state tournament revenue.

No one is paying $1000 per kid for airfare and a hotel so their kid can play against the Surenos.

Let me understand the last few posts, but first let's review the facts:

1) Fight on field between 2 players;
2) Minor brother enters field of play and punches another minor player:
3) Parents enter field ... don't fight;
4) A few parents "believe" without seeing any weapon that another parent has a weapon;
5) No brandishing a gun, no shots fired, no weapon found.
6) People run away based on a false statement of a gun.

... and Cal South isn't doing its job based on a few internet poster's speculating about stuff arising from an event based on a false claim.

...sigh.

P.S. - we should also start blaming Cal South for the coronavirus, I suppose.

4) A few parents "believe" without seeing any weapon that another parent has a weapon;

... and Cal South isn't doing its job based on a few internet poster's speculating about stuff arising from an event based on a false claim.

...sigh.

Run that sentiment by parents and kids who were running for their lives screaming and crying (I can tell you from talking to them that their fear was real). Yes, lets wait until the gun is real before Calsouth hands out discipline. I believe you're a ref...so if you're reffing a game and I threaten violence against you, but I never raise a fist or come within striking range of you, then its not within Calsouth's responsibility to sanction me (assuming the club or no other entity takes action)?

Again, your confusing blame with responsibility. Calsouth has acknowledged its responsibility with its public statement and many of us are hoping they follow through. As I mentioned before, I couldn't care less about the legal aspects of this issue or even to some extent the fairness issues regarding the punishment. On rare occasions an incident is so troubling that you have to make an example out of all those involved regardless of level of culpability. Hundreds of parents and kids running in real fear for their lives is one of those occasions.

P.S. your coronavirus comment is a logical fallacy and undermines your argument.

I have been told that the Azteca and Albion South 2009 teams will be allowed to play in their State Cup games this weekend, but that parents/families from both teams will not be permitted to be at the games. Not sure how this will be enforced, other than that it will be verified by CalSouth officials and self-enforced by the teams themselves with the penalty of elimination from State Cup if they are found to be in violation. I have not verified this info with CalSouth but got it from a reliable source.

I have been told that the Azteca and Albion South 2009 teams will be allowed to play in their State Cup games this weekend, but that parents/families from both teams will not be permitted to be at the games. Not sure how this will be enforced, other than that it will be verified by CalSouth officials and self-enforced by the teams themselves with the penalty of elimination from State Cup if they are found to be in violation. I have not verified this info with CalSouth but got it from a reliable source.
I knew it....no other reason why they would still be listed on the State Cup brackets....What a shame!

Hopefully this is true. This is a great resolution by Cal South. hopefully the sideline ban will be longer than just state cup.

...sigh.

Let me get this straight you work in the law field and are always defending the establishment.

Pretty simple Cal south hasn't been doing what needed to done for years and this incident highlights that. They have taken some beginning steps to rectify there. lack of oversight but still haven't followed through on what was published in their albion statement.

I was hoping for more (which maybe there is), but I'm OK with this result. Hopefully the parents are banned for the duration of State Cup and not just the weekend. It might be a huge advantage for those teams not to have their parents attend.

How far away do they have to be?

I subbed for our coach once when he was sitting out a one-game suspension. He called me every few minutes with suggestions on substitutes and strategy. I got the impression he was watching the game and I couldn't figure out where, but it must have been close because he made the post-game meeting.

The assumption then is the coaches have been cleared of any wrong doing then if they are present to coach their teams? Since we don't know what role the coaches played in the incident (including taking responsibility for calming their sidelines) I'm not sure if this is fair or unfair, though from the reports at least one coach was carrying a yellow and contributed to the environment which ultimately led to the situation.

CalSouth statement - https://calsouth.com/cal-south-statement-regarding-albion-tournament-in-temecula-ca/
“We will keep our members informed of the next steps to be taken.”

Did they mean they would inform member clubs? Or member families? (or do you think they actually intend to give an update on next steps?)

CalSouth statement - https://calsouth.com/cal-south-statement-regarding-albion-tournament-in-temecula-ca/
“We will keep our members informed of the next steps to be taken.”

Did they mean they would inform member clubs? Or member families? (or do you think they actually intend to give an update on next steps?)

"Our members" is everyone that has a CS card, players, coaches, directors + all have signed to follow the code of conduct like parents.

Obviously there are players, coaches, and parents that did not adhere to the code. Now it's time to see if CS enforces their own code, rules, etc or they don't which makes them pretty much paper tigers...

Back