GunScare @ Albion Cup?

I have always understood Cal South to be a governing body and to become an "affiliate member", you answer to their governance policies and procedures. I thought that meant you as an "affiliate member" could only have your tournament "sanctioned" by them if your tournament met their standards.

The below quote from their recent press release appears to show they are enforcing oversight responsibilities by investigating the situation and providing consequences. In their statement, they don't appear to have separated their oversight responsibility from the club's responsibility. Having said that, I agree with you about law suits. Cal South can't be sued for this incident anymore than the SEC that governs public companies can be sued for a company that falsifies information to the public. I am impressed with how Cal South is addressing this issue.

"Cal South is investigating the situation with its affiliate member and the authorities, and while we review the incident, we are taking the following interim measures:
  • Due to the seriousness of the situation, both participating teams, their coaches, players, administrators and the spectators involved in this incident are suspended and ineligible to participate in any Cal South sanctioned tournaments until Cal South completes its investigation and holds hearings.
  • Failure of any team or its staff to participate in Cal South’s investigation will result in further disciplinary action up to and including de-registration from all Cal South sanctioned leagues."

Close and it may just be a matter of semantics. Technically speaking the only "Governing Body" is US Soccer, which is the National Governing Body for soccer under Federal Law. Cal South is a US Soccer - "State Association" that must comply with both US Soccer and its "National Association" US Youth Soccer's rules and regulations. There are 3 youth "National Association" who are members of US Soccer (AYSO, US Club, US Youth Soccer). Any one of these 3 National Associations could feasibly "sanction" a tournament through their affiliated State Associations/Members. When Cal South sanctions a tournament, all its it doing is saying that the tournament sponsor is (1) a member of Cal South; (2) will abide by Cal South policies and procedures.

Because this was a Cal South sanctioned tournament, the tournament operator (Albion) and all the teams that signed up for the tournament agreed to abide by Cal South and US Youth Soccer rules and regulations. Because the clubs Albion and Inter America are both Cal South members, they are subject to the Cal South disciplinary process through the Cal South Standing Committee: "Protest, Appeals and Discipline (PAD)", which is tasked with the investigation and reporting to the board its (PAD's) findings.

Up to this point, all Cal South has done at this point is recognize that the teams, coaches and admins are suspended from "Cal South sanctioned tournaments" until the investigation is over.

The move for enhanced security and sideline adjustment only impacts Cal South events (but not sanctioned events).

CAL SOUTH EMAIL:

Cindy Quan
President and Chairman
760-887-0131
cquan@calsouth.com

Roy Carlson
Executive Vice President
858-603-5402
rcarlson@calsouth.com

Jerry Selby
Vice President of Youth
jselby@calsouth.com

District 5 Commissioner
(San Bernardino/Riverside Counties)
Louie De La Cruz
760-244-6878 – ldelacruz@calsouth.com

District 1 Commissioner
(San Diego/Imperial Counties)
Robert Pennoyer
619-988-5499 – rpennoyer@calsouth.com
Stupid the kids worked hard for state cup just stupid get the hell out of here

I don't think it's that difficult to understand that my point is that Azteca was disciplined for misconduct 14 times during their CSL season and Albion was disciplined 3 times.

Agree......that is a lot of disciplinary points.....highest I have seen except for one girls team that got 20....three or four is a normal amount.....kind of scary to see double figures especially in such a short league season......calsouths announcement was a good one......kudos if they follow it through.......

Cal South - we have not forgotten. You have a few more days to issue a ruling and public statement. Games for these two teams were scheduled for next Saturday.
That is alarming news to me....I was told that the two teams were not going to be in Tournament. I agree with you, I would like to see a ruling and public statement.

That is alarming news to me....I was told that the two teams were not going to be in Tournament. I agree with you, I would like to see a ruling and public statement.
If this is the one team, they are still shown on the schedule to play. Maybe they will be shown as forfeiting and the other teams in their group only play twice? Sharks, Murrieta Surf or Barca in their group heard anything?

Cal South is going to sneak them in....and that's too bad....It's important they get a severe punishment to send a message to all.

I really hope that's not the case as far as Calsouth sneaking them in. As far as their statement says, the teams are suspended and ineligible to play until the investigation is over. I have yet to see anything else put out since their initial statement so I am assuming the investigation is still on-going.

If they try to put out a statement the day before these teams are slated to play, that will reflect poorly on CalSouth and I am sure the parents that have been monitoring this situation will raise hell.

Cal South is going to sneak them in....and that's too bad....It's important they get a severe punishment to send a message to all.

If CalSouth can't manage a ban, the other coaches can.

Just refuse to play the thug team. Boycott them. Let the psycho parents cheer at an empty field.

We are talking a gun scare versus a soccer game.

Who suffers how many forfeits is kind of irrelevant.

Punishing the innocent along with the guilty is relevant. Teams that refuse to play a team because they deem them to be dangerous or want to shun them risk having all their games recorded as forfeits.

11.6.1.1. Intentional Forfeit - When a team fails to appear for a scheduled game by the official game start time inclusive of the grace period provided by the Competition, the Cal South SCCP shall have the authority to rule on the intent of the Team’s failure to appear. If there was intent to forfeit the game the Team will Forfeit the game and cause engagement of the FOFA Rule.

FOFA is Forfeit One Forfeit All.

Back