Good News Thread

Plenty of new treatment options seem to be reducing negative outcomes. I’ve seen several news stories recently that haven’t made the good news thread. If we’re moving from pandemic to endemic, these stories are the real ‘good news’.
Improved treatment options are a big deal. I haven't seen/heard much of any of it recently. Please post any you have seen.

Improved treatment options are a big deal. I haven't seen/heard much of any of it recently. Please post any you have seen.

Part of the issue is a lot of drugs have been shown to help including hdq and invermectin (sp?) but they don’t have eu authorization due to politics and fda limitations. So you have to rely on doctors working off script. I don’t know which drugs have gotten the eu authorization (if someone knows please post) but it’s supposedly a lot less than the known treatmdnts that work

Part of the issue is a lot of drugs have been shown to help including hdq and invermectin (sp?) but they don’t have eu authorization due to politics and fda limitations. So you have to rely on doctors working off script. I don’t know which drugs have gotten the eu authorization (if someone knows please post) but it’s supposedly a lot less than the known treatmdnts that work

If by "hdq" you mean hydroxychloroquine, it's not politics that holds back approval.. It is a lack of demonstrated benefit.

If by "hdq" you mean hydroxychloroquine, it's not politics that holds back approval.. It is a lack of demonstrated benefit.
Don’t have the time right now to look it up for you but there have been several studies now that show some mild-moderate benefits if admined early

Don’t have the time right now to look it up for you but there have been several studies now that show some mild-moderate benefits if admined early

"Hydroxychloroquine did not substantially reduce symptom severity in outpatients with early, mild COVID-19."

Here's a good summary of why there aren't a whole lot of good therapeutics (and unlikely to be a whole lot more in the near future). Part of it is the very high threshold for testing set out by the FDA. Part of it too is just Fauci...he made the decision early on to go all in on the vaccines (which is now coming back to bite all of us in the ass since the vaccines are not 100% effective). Without doing a deep dive onto Fauci, It's hard to speculate the reasons why.

"Hydroxychloroquine did not substantially reduce symptom severity in outpatients with early, mild COVID-19."

Yeah there are some contra too. Regardless, I agree it isn't a magic bullet. I agree the evidence is in dispute and there's more contra than pro.

Yeah there are some contra too. Regardless, I agree it isn't a magic bullet. I agree the evidence is in dispute and there's more contra than pro.

From that article-- "It was widely used in hospitals during a time of unprecedented desperation, a practice that stopped after some studies found no clinical benefit for seriously ill patients."

Here's a good summary of why there aren't a whole lot of good therapeutics (and unlikely to be a whole lot more in the near future). Part of it is the very high threshold for testing set out by the FDA. Part of it too is just Fauci...he made the decision early on to go all in on the vaccines (which is now coming back to bite all of us in the ass since the vaccines are not 100% effective). Without doing a deep dive onto Fauci, It's hard to speculate the reasons why.

You're wrong about Fauci.

GrapeNuts cereal is back on the shelves. Post completely stopped producing it because it’s a tedious process and needed to catch up on its other products. Yum!

When the NY Times is talking about "Normalcy" as soon as this summer, that's good news.

Not zero, but normalcy
Covid is caused by a coronavirus — known as SARS-CoV-2 — and coronaviruses often circulate for years, causing respiratory infections and the common cold. The world is not going to extinguish coronaviruses anytime soon, nor will it extinguish this specific one. “The coronavirus is here to stay,” as a recent article in the science journal Nature, by Nicky Phillips, concluded.​
The reasonable goal is to make it manageable, much like the seasonal flu. Fortunately, the vaccines are doing that. In fact, they’re doing better than that. For fully vaccinated people, serious illness from Covid is extremely rare, much rarer than serious illness from the seasonal flu.​
Israel, the country that has vaccinated the largest share of its population, offers a case study. One recent analysis looked at 602,000 Israelis who had received Covid vaccines and found that only 21 later contracted the virus and had to be hospitalized. Twenty-one is obviously not zero. Vaccines are almost never perfect. But the Covid vaccines are turning it into the sort of risk that people accept every day.​
Here’s a useful way to think about Israel’s numbers: Only 3.5 out of every 100,000 people vaccinated there were later hospitalized with Covid symptoms. During a typical flu season in the U.S., by comparison, roughly 150 out of every 100,000 people are hospitalized with flu symptoms.​
And yet the seasonal flu does not grind life to a halt. It does not keep people from flying on airplanes, eating in restaurants, visiting their friends or going to school and work.​
The vaccines will not produce “Covid zero.” But they are on pace — eventually, and perhaps even by summer — to produce something that looks a lot like normalcy. The rare exceptions won’t change that, no matter how much attention they receive.​

Back