Girls DA vs ECNL

Coach is the DoC! You have no idea what a jerk he has been! We very nicely told him that our daughter was not happy and our intentions to leave. He responded with a nasty e-mail! This will all be shared soon, as this DoC lied to our face repeatedly and his e-mail to us proves it!

I now know for SURE who this is. Key words were "nasty email"

We heard this straight out of the Carlsbad's DoC's mouth.

We've invested tons of money towards ECNL, only to be lied to by the coach. Now, her DoC is trying his best to keep our dd from playing, citing that transfers can only be approved if you have relocated. I urge everyone to understand the commitment that they are making to ECNL and read the rules (they were posted a few weeks ago, not very helpful for our situation). However, if your dd is ECNL, she can't even step on a tryout field for a club that is both Academy and ECNL except during a two month ECNL approved window!

I wouldn't bash ECNL. Soccer world is small. Be careful. A lot of ECNL clubs also are DA's now.

Anyway, I'm more concerned about future HS rules and what is or isn't truly allowed and what clubs are selling to potential DA players. (see above post)

As for ECNL and tryout rules, they have been in place for a reason, I get that. But it's not to the benefit of the player. The DA will be no different, if not more harsh! So I assume, reading the USSF regulations.

GDA.jpg
We heard this straight out of the Carlsbad's DoC's mouth.

We've invested tons of money towards ECNL, only to be lied to by the coach. Now, her DoC is trying his best to keep our dd from playing, citing that transfers can only be approved if you have relocated. I urge everyone to understand the commitment that they are making to ECNL and read the rules (they were posted a few weeks ago, not very helpful for our situation). However, if your dd is ECNL, she can't even step on a tryout field for a club that is both Academy and ECNL except during a two month ECNL approved window!

Slide 6 of the Girls DA Webinar states that players can play HS for now but later they will be prohibited.GDA.jpg

On the boys side, you can also request an exemption to play HS soccer if you are on scholarship at a private school and the scholarship is connected to you playing soccer for the school.

You can play HS but once you go inactive on the roster I haven't seen anybody returning. In other words up into HS starts player can be full-time da but after HS ends it's often too late to get back on the active roster or the team has used up all the adds

Once on a roster DA players have to ask permission to tryout or train for/with any other DA teams. Approval & proper notification to the league and all parties must be done otherwise a transfer can be rejected.

On the boys side, you can also request an exemption to play HS soccer if you are on scholarship at a private school and the scholarship is connected to you playing soccer for the school.

Before doing that, make sure it is legal in your CIF Section (or other sports authority) for the school to offer athletic scholarships.

With LA Galaxy fully funding their DA there could be some unintended consequences. If a program can't fully fund the playing field isn't level. Not sure if a club wants to be at a disadvantage where a DA close cold poach players after the fact by offering paid roster spots to their top players. Chaos could reign. Didn't two guys win the Nobel Prize in Economics this year working on a similar subject?

With LA Galaxy fully funding their DA there could be some unintended consequences. If a program can't fully fund the playing field isn't level. Not sure if a club wants to be at a disadvantage where a DA close cold poach players after the fact by offering paid roster spots to their top players. Chaos could reign. Didn't two guys win the Nobel Prize in Economics this year working on a similar subject?

You only need look at the Boys Academies in Socal to witness the results.

The most interesting point made by Match Fit to me is their comment about level of competition for the non-DA teams. While true, I am not sure what staying in the ECNL will do for them if the other clubs in the over-saturated market move to the DA.

Similarly, adding a new DA league in any market, even Socal, will have a very negative impact on the level of competition in the remaining leagues. DA teams playing in their academy league, ECNL teams (primarily B teams from ECNL/DA clubs) playing in ECNL, and one can only wonder what SCDSL Flight One, CRL and CSL Premier will be like. Not to mention National League. There are too many leagues.

Or are the rumors true -- will ECNL pull a CSL and demand top teams play in their league, or leave?

I could be dead wrong, or maybe it's wishful thinking, but I thought I read somewhere that Girls DA would not start informing the NO HS rule for a couple years. Am I wrong?

I could be dead wrong, or maybe it's wishful thinking, but I thought I read somewhere that Girls DA would not start informing the NO HS rule for a couple years. Am I wrong?

The DA may not enforce it but I know some clubs planning on enforcing it right out of the gate.

CIF will protect high school soccer and will have no problem going head to head with US Soccer. It will be war.

No more than it is now. Because CIF is composed of public schools (and some private schools that wish to compete with CIF cannot public schools) they are constrained by laws that do not apply to USSF or US Club Soccer. CIF cannot prohibit players from participating in extra-curricular activities any more than they do now, which is limited to making them ineligible to play on CIF-sanctioned teams and forfeit games in which they play. About the only weapon they have left is the ODP exemptions, and eliminating that would lose a battle starting at the school board level.

Back