Game Recording

Actually, just the opposite. I keep recording because my kids enjoy rewatching their games on YouTube. It's feels less like work and more like fun .

I think it's important to watch any soccer to learn. If my DDs watch their own film with players they know, they actually pay critical attention.

I’ve been asked a couple of times by my kids teammates if I will be filming again this season. One mentioned it was the favorite part of the game.
I don’t think the kids even notice the camera during the games. Perhaps if I’m setting up on their side (sun direction dictates) but beyond that, I’m pretty invisible.
Occasionally I will hear “I need to see the replay of that” during a game which is amusing.

Coach will occasionally get the kids together and review a game when there its too hot/raining on practice day. I hope it helps but even if its just me watching after the fact, its still fun.

So here is a clip using the App DoubleTake which allowed me to use my phone to video with two zooms.

One had the keeper centered and zoomed in, the other showed almost half the field. I then edited the zoomed in video by zooming in a bit more then cut to the wide zoom video to see the finish of the play.

How many of your players feel more pressure when they have a camera up their ass recording every mistake? Honest question.....

100% believe film is great teacher but not before a player is mature enough to understand the tool.
My DD and her team don't even think about it. They are recorded every game and have been for yrs.

I suspect most kids could care less.

Kids care less or are super excited I film alot of games.
The only people who should be nervous are the parents. I love all of you but some parents after watching the videos , tend to notice they are little loud joy sticking or reffing from the sideline. And hearing it second hand is a bit embarrassing (Thats why I started filming to shut myself up)
The mic picks up everything .........

Kids care less or are super excited I film alot of games.
The only people who should be nervous are the parents. I love all of you but some parents after watching the videos , tend to notice they are little loud joy sticking or reffing from the sideline. And hearing it second hand is a bit embarrassing (Thats why I started filming to shut myself up)
The mic picks up everything .........

Can't disagree here. It's a nice side effect, for sure.

The main impetus was to get film on tape for scouts. The fact that my DD likes to review it and I am too focused to comment is a plus.

Wifi setup works for controlling head units , here's the problem though. I film alot , and I mean by now I would have filmed 30 games min, BUT when I film at Silver lakes or certain high populated areas like Santa Ana (theres a specific highschool that is surrounded by 100, maybe 1000s of apartments) you will start to get interference . Silverlakes was horrible for me , so i went hardwire, all the pro setups are hardwire for a reason, its way more reliable. And Im just talking the connection to pan and tilt controls...

For years I used a 13' mast I bought off amazon and bescor head unit https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/64399-REG/Bescor_MP101_MP_101_Motorized_Pan_Head.html
when the ball crossed halves to fast for the motorized head, I just turned the mast with my hand and worked great for years.

With Covid and not filming I began wanting to upgrade but didnt want to drop $500 on a 25' manfrotto tripod, my good friend has one and its awesome but heavy. I went to harbor freight, bought a 60 dollar American flag mast and pole setup. Its all aluminum , works perfect and goes up 20 plus feet. I bought the same base the guys from direct tv use online for 25 bucks and bingo I have a better (IMO) tripod than anyone out there, no sway , super light and cost me under 100 bucks. Shit looks like a professional setup and Im extremely happy with it.

You guys want info, I can post it up.

Everyone should be filming, whether its football, baseball or any sport, we have a limited time with our kids and no easier way than to flash down memory lane than youtube, its free and content will be there forever .....
I would definitely like some info on flag mast and pole set-up.

I would definitely like some info on flag mast and pole set-up.

This is what Im using for the mast, its ultra light and goes up the perfect height. The 25ft manfrotto is about the same height but about 3x the weight.
For the base I used a https://www.amazon.com/feet-Satelli...ellite+tv&qid=1603321895&s=electronics&sr=1-4
the whole set up cost about 80 dollars with coupons.
Being aluminum its very easy to set up, not as bulky as the manfrotto, but also isn't as nice as the manfrotto but does more than needed when comes to performance.
80 dollars vs 500 dollars

question, where did you get the connector from the pole to the gimbal? been searching around as they are different sized screw holes

Light stand comes with a standard 1/4" 20 male connector at top. Gimbal has 2 female connections on bottom of grip (1/4" 20 and 3/8" 20) and it screws right in without an adaptor. The flat tripod that comes with the gimbal (shown in most pictures) also uses this 1/4" 20 female connection, so you just assemble the gimbal without the tripod and screw to pole.

This is what Im using for the mast, its ultra light and goes up the perfect height. The 25ft manfrotto is about the same height but about 3x the weight.
For the base I used a https://www.amazon.com/feet-Satelli...ellite+tv&qid=1603321895&s=electronics&sr=1-4
the whole set up cost about 80 dollars with coupons.
Being aluminum its very easy to set up, not as bulky as the manfrotto, but also isn't as nice as the manfrotto but does more than needed when comes to performance.
80 dollars vs 500 dollars
What would I have to use or do to the top to be able to connect the camera? TIA!

@SoccerLocker. Thanks for sharing your setup. I bought the Ronin to test out with my current setup. I’ll be using it with an iPhone 12 Pro Max running Filmic Pro and paired with an IPad running Filmic Remote. Hoping this works this so I dont have to stand on a ladder anymore in the blazing sun. I may try to mount my iPad up there to record with so I don’t have to spend hours transferring the files over from the phone. I use LumaFusion on my iPad to edit in the score boards and goal cam replays.
Question, can you get a few games off one charge for the Ronin?
Any overheating issues with it being in the sun for long periods of time?

@SoccerLocker. Thanks for sharing your setup. I bought the Ronin to test out with my current setup. I’ll be using it with an iPhone 12 Pro Max running Filmic Pro and paired with an IPad running Filmic Remote. Hoping this works this so I dont have to stand on a ladder anymore in the blazing sun. I may try to mount my iPad up there to record with so I don’t have to spend hours transferring the files over from the phone. I use LumaFusion on my iPad to edit in the score boards and goal cam replays.
Question, can you get a few games off one charge for the Ronin?
Any overheating issues with it being in the sun for long periods of time?

You should be able to film multiple games. When I use it, a 2 hour recording uses ~20% of the battery. Probably less with an iPhone v a camera. I'm in AZ and have never had any overheating issues.

You should be able to film multiple games. When I use it, a 2 hour recording uses ~20% of the battery. Probably less with an iPhone v a camera. I'm in AZ and have never had any overheating issues.
Awesome! Thanks for the response. Gonna test out my setup this weekend during a scrimmage.

I tried to use one of the gimbal setups and found them too slow. Here is what I use:

30' fiberglass pole

Surveyors tripod

Servo City radio control pan tilt system.
This type of radio control is pretty robust to interference, I have never had a glitch with it.

With this rig, you can use any camera from phones to cheap video cams to digital SLR's. You will need some sort of remote control arrangement depending on what camera you use. You can produce much better video than VEO, Trace, or any other automatic system with a bit of practice and effort.

Back