Game Recording

Some advice from experience -- Watch the game through the camera. My wife and I tried to record some games but when things got really exciting sometimes all the recording held was the sound of excited cheers and pictures of our feet.
So true! lol

@ChrisD can you tell me where you got your mast and the cost? Mine is PVC/Plastic and I get a lot of sway in the wind. Been trying to replace it for some time but I’m coming up on the end of soccer (maybe 2 years if my kid sticks).

@SoccerLocker and @ChrisD: how is the latency on the head rotation/tilt via Bluetooth? The ones I’ve seen in the past have had issues following the action on fast paced games? Specifically on the near side. My current setup is manual and I don’t necessarily see myself changing but I do like tech crap and have been accused by my wife of buying stuff we dont need.

@SoccerLocker and @ChrisD: how is the latency on the head rotation/tilt via Bluetooth? The ones I’ve seen in the past have had issues following the action on fast paced games? Specifically on the near side. My current setup is manual and I don’t necessarily see myself changing but I do like tech crap and have been accused by my wife of buying stuff we dont need.

From what I have seen via YouTube reviews, good enough to take the plunge. I will let you know after I receive and play with it a bit...

I have operated manual rigs and anything below the camera (usually midfield touchline) action is pretty hard to follow manually, IMO. That's something that's really important to me as well and I may experiment with getting a bit further from touch.

From what I have seen via YouTube reviews, good enough to take the plunge. I will let you know after I receive and play with it a bit...

I have operated manual rigs and anything below the camera (usually midfield touchline) action is pretty hard to follow manually, IMO. That's something that's really important to me as well and I may experiment with getting a bit further from touch.

Wifi setup works for controlling head units , here's the problem though. I film alot , and I mean by now I would have filmed 30 games min, BUT when I film at Silver lakes or certain high populated areas like Santa Ana (theres a specific highschool that is surrounded by 100, maybe 1000s of apartments) you will start to get interference . Silverlakes was horrible for me , so i went hardwire, all the pro setups are hardwire for a reason, its way more reliable. And Im just talking the connection to pan and tilt controls...

For years I used a 13' mast I bought off amazon and bescor head unit https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/64399-REG/Bescor_MP101_MP_101_Motorized_Pan_Head.html
when the ball crossed halves to fast for the motorized head, I just turned the mast with my hand and worked great for years.

With Covid and not filming I began wanting to upgrade but didnt want to drop $500 on a 25' manfrotto tripod, my good friend has one and its awesome but heavy. I went to harbor freight, bought a 60 dollar American flag mast and pole setup. Its all aluminum , works perfect and goes up 20 plus feet. I bought the same base the guys from direct tv use online for 25 bucks and bingo I have a better (IMO) tripod than anyone out there, no sway , super light and cost me under 100 bucks. Shit looks like a professional setup and Im extremely happy with it.

You guys want info, I can post it up.

Everyone should be filming, whether its football, baseball or any sport, we have a limited time with our kids and no easier way than to flash down memory lane than youtube, its free and content will be there forever .....

The DJI Ronin SC gimbal is on sale ($279, down from $439), and I took the plunge. That, along with a 4 meter light stand creates a very cost efficient way to get up higher and remotely pan/tilt (and possibly zoom if your camera is compatible). About $360 all in, and you can obtain high(ish) vantage points with control from your phone or even an xbox/playstation remote.

DJI Ronin
Neewer HD Light Stand

If you really want to get up higher, for another $220, you can get a 20 foot tripod instead. I didn't go this route because it only supports 5 lbs, and if I swap out my DSLR camera, it will be over 5 lbs with the gimbal.

Glide Gear TST 20' Tripod
First day out at an empty park with the new setup and I am impressed.

The Ronin SC is insanely cool. The app on my phone allows full remote capability (Pan, Tilt, Scan, Roll, Zoom, Record) for my Sony CX-455. You can also pair your phone to a bluetooth game controller, which is much smoother and more functional. I walked across the field with just the ps4 controller and it was still controlling the camera with no meaningful delay. You can customize the buttons and set sensitivity/smoothness as well. I will definitely use the ps4 controller to record games.

The hardest part is balancing the Ronin SC. Based on the weight of your camera, you have to position it so that the tilt, pan and roll axes are all in balance. It's tricky, especially with a really light camera (mine is 0.75 lbs). I wouldn't recommend this for a camera/lens setup under 1.25 lbs (its rated to almost 4.5 lb payload). I had to add some weight in order to balance and am ordering a much larger battery which should get me there.

The second issue is the hdmi cable you need to run the camera. It adds a lot of weight as you extend the tripod to height. The fix for me was in the base of the gimbal. They have hotmounts with covers that screw on with 2 screws. By loosing the screws, you can run a small diameter hdmi cable under the cover and screw down to how in place. This holds some weight near the top, and keeps the cable from unplugging. You can then velcro the cable at each section as you raise it.

So, for about $420 (Gimbal, Light Stand, Controller, Battery) I fell I really improved my setup over the 6 foot manual tripod.

First day out at an empty park with the new setup and I am impressed.

The Ronin SC is insanely cool. The app on my phone allows full remote capability (Pan, Tilt, Scan, Roll, Zoom, Record) for my Sony CX-455. You can also pair your phone to a bluetooth game controller, which is much smoother and more functional. I walked across the field with just the ps4 controller and it was still controlling the camera with no meaningful delay. You can customize the buttons and set sensitivity/smoothness as well. I will definitely use the ps4 controller to record games.

The hardest part is balancing the Ronin SC. Based on the weight of your camera, you have to position it so that the tilt, pan and roll axes are all in balance. It's tricky, especially with a really light camera (mine is 0.75 lbs). I wouldn't recommend this for a camera/lens setup under 1.25 lbs (its rated to almost 4.5 lb payload). I had to add some weight in order to balance and am ordering a much larger battery which should get me there.

The second issue is the hdmi cable you need to run the camera. It adds a lot of weight as you extend the tripod to height. The fix for me was in the base of the gimbal. They have hotmounts with covers that screw on with 2 screws. By loosing the screws, you can run a small diameter hdmi cable under the cover and screw down to how in place. This holds some weight near the top, and keeps the cable from unplugging. You can then velcro the cable at each section as you raise it.

So, for about $420 (Gimbal, Light Stand, Controller, Battery) I fell I really improved my setup over the 6 foot manual tripod.
velcro is your friend, velcro the cable to mast and your good.

The Ronin SC is insanely cool. The app on my phone allows full remote capability (Pan, Tilt, Scan, Roll, Zoom, Record) for my Sony CX-455.
couple follow up questions:
Does zoom work from the controller? I’m wondering how to control pan/tilt from one controller and zoom from the other.

How does the gimbal connect to the mast?

I’m toying with the idea of replacing my setup. It’s served me well for a few years now but with covid, I’m bored and want to play with some new toys.

couple follow up questions:
Does zoom work from the controller? I’m wondering how to control pan/tilt from one controller and zoom from the other.

How does the gimbal connect to the mast?

I’m toying with the idea of replacing my setup. It’s served me well for a few years now but with covid, I’m bored and want to play with some new toys.
Yes. Each trigger controls zoom (left zoom out / right zoom in). Pan, tilt, roll, zoom and record stop/start all from one wireless controller. While my Sony wasn’t specifically listed as compatible I think zoom/record should work with any name brand camera with a mini usb input for control. Those functions are controlled by connecting a cord between the gimbal and your camera.

The grip attaches to the light stand with a 1/4” 20 Bolt. The grip also has a larger female connector as well as the 1/4 20.

I'm getting better each game with the camera control, but it's still a work in progress. Here's a stream from last weekend: Game Recording

Any cameraman tips would be welcomed.
Thanks for recording the Sharks vs. Royals game. I recorded from the other side with a Veo on a 24 ft manfrotto tripod but the I was on the wrong side with the afternoon light. The next day turned out better, still figuring how to best optimize resolution and positioning but cool setup with the AI cloud putting together the video in a short amount of time. press record and leave!

Thanks for recording the Sharks vs. Royals game. I recorded from the other side with a Veo on a 24 ft manfrotto tripod but the I was on the wrong side with the afternoon light. The next day turned out better, still figuring how to best optimize resolution and positioning but cool setup with the AI cloud putting together the video in a short amount of time. press record and leave!

Awesome! Hope you stayed in the shade during your trip!!!

That Veo is unbeatable for simplicity. Unfortunately no great low touch solution for live-streaming yet...

Love the graphics and scoreboard too!

I'm getting better each game with the camera control, but it's still a work in progress. Here's a stream from last weekend: Game Recording

Any cameraman tips would be welcomed.

That video is great--

Could you describe the rest of the setup a bit more?

You have:
Tripod
DJI Ronin-SC Gimbal Stabilizer
Sony camcorder
Game controller (connected to the gimbal via phone app)

You mentioned an HDMI cable-- is that to come down to the ground to hook up to a monitor so you can see what the camera is seeing?

How many of your players feel more pressure when they have a camera up their ass recording every mistake? Honest question.....

100% believe film is great teacher but not before a player is mature enough to understand the tool.

How many of your players feel more pressure when they have a camera up their ass recording every mistake? Honest question.....

100% believe film is great teacher but not before a player is mature enough to understand the tool.
I don’t think younger players see it that way. I think they get pretty excited to see themselves on YouTube. (Probably a bit different if every game is recorded and super analyzed by the coach/team each week)

Actually, just the opposite. I keep recording because my kids enjoy rewatching their games on YouTube. It's feels less like work and more like fun .

I think it's important to watch any soccer to learn. If my DDs watch their own film with players they know, they actually pay critical attention.

That video is great--

Could you describe the rest of the setup a bit more?

You have:
Tripod
DJI Ronin-SC Gimbal Stabilizer
Sony camcorder
Game controller (connected to the gimbal via phone app)

You mentioned an HDMI cable-- is that to come down to the ground to hook up to a monitor so you can see what the camera is seeing?

There's an HDMI cable from the camera at the top down to the streaming encoder at the bottom. Then out to a monitor, which I watch while controlling the gimbal with the controller.

I'll take a picture tomorrow of the setup, before streaming the Royals v SD Surf 05s: 05 Royals v Surf

Back