Game photos

Curious

BRONZE
I enjoy taking photos of my children’s soccer games and post them on the team page for their team mates to enjoy. At one event my child’s team was firing lots of shots at the opposing keeper who made some good saves. After the game I went over to where the families of the other team was and asked if the keeper’s parents were interested in giving me an email address so that I could send them any photos of their player that were good. Luckily there were a few good photos that I could email them and I received a kind reply thanking me for the photos. This made me wonder if there are professional photographers that go out to games to take photos? If there aren’t this might be a possible job for a high school student to do weekends and summer. It likely wouldn’t be amazing quality but if taken with a DSLR camera it would be significantly better than anything you could get with a phone. I’m just curious what others think, are people interested in photos of their players? Do most teams have a parent that takes photos? I know that some of my photos have been sent to grandparents, posted on Instagram, used in yearbook banner ads etc.

I have seen it done in two different ways:
1. There is a booth at the entrance of the tournament on the second day of the tournament. Each participating team has a photo album at the booth with pictures from Day 1 of the tourney in 5x7 prints. You pick the pictures you want for (IIRC) $7 each. I assume in this scenario the photographer paid the tournament a fee to operate at the event. You can also ask for a larger print of a particular photo for additional cost.

2. Someone approached our team on the second day of the tourney, and passed around a photo album. Again you pick out the pictures you want for $7 each. I'm guessing this is just someone freelancing and not associated with the tournament, but I don't know for sure.

A high school student can probably freelance, but I'm not sure what people will pay if it "wouldn't be amazing quality" as in your own words. The photos from the vendor I saw were quite good and I've seen them carry around their 400mm or 100-400mm lens. I take pictures for my kids' teams as well and my keep rate is about 1 in 10.

I have seen it done in two different ways:
1. There is a booth at the entrance of the tournament on the second day of the tournament. Each participating team has a photo album at the booth with pictures from Day 1 of the tourney in 5x7 prints. You pick the pictures you want for (IIRC) $7 each. I assume in this scenario the photographer paid the tournament a fee to operate at the event. You can also ask for a larger print of a particular photo for additional cost.

2. Someone approached our team on the second day of the tourney, and passed around a photo album. Again you pick out the pictures you want for $7 each. I'm guessing this is just someone freelancing and not associated with the tournament, but I don't know for sure.

A high school student can probably freelance, but I'm not sure what people will pay if it "wouldn't be amazing quality" as in your own words. The photos from the vendor I saw were quite good and I've seen them carry around their 400mm or 100-400mm lens. I take pictures for my kids' teams as well and my keep rate is about 1 in 10.

On #1 -- sometimes they offer a discount of about 3 or 4 times the single picture price for all the pictures of a particular player. We did that a few times and even went through the opponents' books looking for good p[pictures of our guys. At one tournament, one well-heeled and proud dad bought the whole book at a negotiated price and gave the pictures away to everyone (except his kid's pictures of course).

Those are super! I think that as your player enters the college recruiting phase of their careers, it might be worthwhile to transition to video.

Nice pics everyone. I originally got a camera so that I would have a reason to keep my mouth shut. I have taken some good pictures over the years. I usually shoot video now, but will take pictures if the light is really good. That being said, one of my favorite pictures was taken before I had any clue what I was doing. The sun was setting, I was on the wrong side of the field shooting into the sun it got too dark for the camera to use a fast shutter. I have tried a few times to get the same effect, but sometimes it is better to be lucky.20091030 Notts vs Scripps United 148_cr.jpg

Nice pics everyone. I originally got a camera so that I would have a reason to keep my mouth shut. I have taken some good pictures over the years. I usually shoot video now, but will take pictures if the light is really good. That being said, one of my favorite pictures was taken before I had any clue what I was doing. The sun was setting, I was on the wrong side of the field shooting into the sun it got too dark for the camera to use a fast shutter. I have tried a few times to get the same effect, but sometimes it is better to be lucky.View attachment 11265
Same reason why I started to take pics at games. I caught myself one too many times and decided I needed to keep busy on the sidelines.

Got a little Baker look
:)
I have one in the back ground at practice at those old ranch fields. I best not share. He didnt know and it could be perceived the wrong way. I can say many love his style and that's their choice. How sad though those fields were snatched away from the kiddos. What really happened? I drive by those old grass fields and no one is using them. My mom fell on her face at that Revs place that owns the land that I heard leased the fields out for small change. I wonder if some cheaters got to them and pulled the rug from under them? Those were so good for kids.

Really Great shots everyone.... hmmm @outside! and @fjc8871 bought cameras to keep their mouth shut on the sideline... I think I know just what to buy a family on one of my kids team, maybe it will help ;)
I was futzing with the camera between games when two ~15 year old latina girls walked by and said "Nice camera". I said thank you and explained I have it to give me a reason to keep my mouth shut during games. They said "Wow, all Mexican soccer parents should get a camera!". I replied that there are plenty of loud obnoxious soccer parents of all races that need cameras.

A note to all the photographers and videographers out there, please actually keep your mouth shut! Many times you will need to be on the wrong side of the field to have good lighting. If you are quiet, friendly with the refs, stay out of the way and helpful with the balls that inevitably seem to be aimed at the camera person, you are much less likely to be told to leave. This also makes it easier for everyone else who is serious about using a camera.

Back