Game films

Speed

GOLD
Anyone have any tips for filming and editing games that I can do on my own that doesn't require breaking the bank? I am not a techie person, nor do I want to be. Our previous DPL team had games filmed but quite frankly the best film I had was from my iPhone. Would be used to send to college coaches.

Anyone have any tips for filming and editing games that I can do on my own that doesn't require breaking the bank? I am not a techie person, nor do I want to be. Our previous DPL team had games filmed but quite frankly the best film I had was from my iPhone. Would be used to send to college coaches.

Adobe Spark software is pretty user friendly, (It's part of Adobe Creative package), the software is about $230 if I remember correctly, there's a video tutorial that explains how to edit, place clip's etc., pretty simple, I just had to review the "how to" video the second year since I had forgotten a few things from the prior year. This works great if you have sim card video's or DVD's, just mark the times you need, once you pull all of the clips onto your highlight video, you can rearrange them any way you want and send them in a link or the entire highlight video. Our team split the cost on game filming so it was pretty cost effective.

I use a Sony HDRCX675 camcoder bought used on ebay for ~150.00 and Magix VEGAS 16 for editing (used to be Sony) under 100.00. The beefier your computer the less time rendering videos. My home computer has a GTX1070 video card which does pretty well. I record @ 1080p/60fps but I think 760p/60fps is fine . Be warned, once you post your first video everyone will expect it from then on....lol

I use a Sony HDRCX675 camcoder bought used on ebay for ~150.00 and Magix VEGAS 16 for editing (used to be Sony) under 100.00. The beefier your computer the less time rendering videos. My home computer has a GTX1070 video card which does pretty well. I record @ 1080p/60fps but I think 760p/60fps is fine . Be warned, once you post your first video everyone will expect it from then on....lol
What do you mount the camera on? How high?

Do you hold it all game?
Do you keep it running during stoppages?
Are you doing this for the team or for individual player highlights?

Asking because I’d like to use something that shows a bit for of the field for tactical analysis.
But still be able to cut a highlight tape for a kid.

I hold it all game but it's not that bad once you get used to it. I have the camera in one hand and an umbrella for shade in the other.

I only record while the ball is in play. I follow the ball and "try" to maintain it in the middle of the screen.

I record this for the team. The main reason being that alot of the parents could not see their kids because they had to work. The coach also uses it for tactical analysis, I suppose.

The other camera I use (back up) is the Sony HDR-CX440. It does a good job with stability and records with similar quality as the 675.

Hope that helps.

QUOTE="timbuck, post: 281345, member: 29"]Do you hold it all game?
Do you keep it running during stoppages?
Are you doing this for the team or for individual player highlights?

Asking because I’d like to use something that shows a bit for of the field for tactical analysis.
But still be able to cut a highlight tape for a kid.[/QUOTE]

Hudl is amazing. If your film footage wasn't the best, maybe the equipment was faulty? I can't complain about Hudl.

ooh, i'd love an answer to this as well. still frames are nice, but the parents i deal with usually want to "relive" the moments.

I tried to film early on and later all of our DA games were filmed. Frankly the only value of the film was when we needed to send some clips to my dd college for their media release. Not sure if any college coaches ever watched any of our film. The coaches we talked to in the recruiting process said they did not watch film, they watched girls play games in person and they talked to the girl's coaches. I believe all of the endless hours I did of filming was just a waste of time. Wish I had just relaxed and watched those games instead.

I tried to film early on and later all of our DA games were filmed. Frankly the only value of the film was when we needed to send some clips to my dd college for their media release. Not sure if any college coaches ever watched any of our film. The coaches we talked to in the recruiting process said they did not watch film, they watched girls play games in person and they talked to the girl's coaches. I believe all of the endless hours I did of filming was just a waste of time. Wish I had just relaxed and watched those games instead.

A player watching film is invaluable to their development. Your DA team didn't watch film?

Back