GA, ECRL is there a difference??

I suppose this will be debated until either the GA doesn't survive or becomes established as good alternative to ECNL that provides opportunity for players that don't have access to ECNL. Seems like a win for DDs everywhere.
The debate is not going to end. As my kid gets ready to age out we have seen ECNL only (leaving out the other leagues) to ECNL and DA to ECNL and GA and now ENCL/GA/ECNLR. Some clubs will get stronger, some will get weaker, some will disappear all together, some will rebrand multiple times (Lighting/Wave - Carlsbad United - LAGSD - City SC, just to name one). Coaches will move, some kids will follow. DOCs will be on a rotating basis (rhymes with Murph). Leagues will come and go. How about another age change back to school year instead of birth year? The only constant has been change.

Find a coach that believes in your kid. Is supportive. Understands mistakes happen as it is part of the process, commits to playing quality soccer in spite of the results and is a good human being (Alex Walker @ City for example), and enjoy the ride as it ends a lot quicker than you think. IMO.

The debate is not going to end. As my kid gets ready to age out we have seen ECNL only (leaving out the other leagues) to ECNL and DA to ECNL and GA and now ENCL/GA/ECNLR. Some clubs will get stronger, some will get weaker, some will disappear all together, some will rebrand multiple times (Lighting/Wave - Carlsbad United - LAGSD - City SC, just to name one). Coaches will move, some kids will follow. DOCs will be on a rotating basis (rhymes with Murph). Leagues will come and go. How about another age change back to school year instead of birth year? The only constant has been change.

Find a coach that believes in your kid. Is supportive. Understands mistakes happen as it is part of the process, commits to playing quality soccer in spite of the results and is a good human being (Alex Walker @ City for example), and enjoy the ride as it ends a lot quicker than you think. IMO.

Leagues are more important to parents. Everything you mention is 100% true. In the grand scheme of things there is room for two "top" leagues, the evidence is right in front of us. Which one is better? Depends on who you ask, what's important to them, and where you live.

Leagues are more important to parents. Everything you mention is 100% true. In the grand scheme of things there is room for two "top" leagues, the evidence is right in front of us. Which one is better? Depends on who you ask, what's important to them, and where you live.
I would argue that many parents don't know what they're getting into regarding the different leagues and why or if one is shinier than another.

I see quite a few players that are dual (or even triple) rostered on ECNL, ECRL and SoCal League teams. And a couple dual rostered on DPL and SoCal League teams

I see quite a few players that are dual (or even triple) rostered on ECNL, ECRL and SoCal League teams. And a couple dual rostered on DPL and SoCal League teams

what is your opinion on that?

As a parent it's her ride not mine so I'm pretty go with flow when it comes to my dd and soccer but if lost minutes to a kid who wasn't even on the team she'd be none too happy and so neither would I be......

what is your opinion on that?

As a parent it's her ride not mine so I'm pretty go with flow when it comes to my dd and soccer but if lost minutes to a kid who wasn't even on the team she'd be none too happy and so neither would I be......
If a kid is on a RL team- I think it's cool that they get to have opportunities to play on the ECNL (non-rl) team.
If a kid is on an ECNL team but not getting much playing time, I think it's cool that she gets an opportunity to get in games on the RL team.

I think its "not" so cool if a kid is being moved around to help a lower team win games at the expense of a player on that team not getting playing time.

If a kid is on a RL team- I think it's cool that they get to have opportunities to play on the ECNL (non-rl) team.
If a kid is on an ECNL team but not getting much playing time, I think it's cool that she gets an opportunity to get in games on the RL team.

I think its "not" so cool if a kid is being moved around to help a lower team win games at the expense of a player on that team not getting playing time.

Agree with the above.......but what I've seen is kids from unaffiliated clubs listed as discovery kids at certain totally different big clubs.......crazy and as usual paying parents get screwed.......

Agree with the above.......but what I've seen is kids from unaffiliated clubs listed as discovery kids at certain totally different big clubs.......crazy and as usual paying parents get screwed.......
I'll also say that this year is still funky due to covid. Lot of teams have smaller than ideal rosters so they are supplementing however they can. I think next year, we'll see a bit of a "reckoning" (even more than this year)

I'll also say that this year is still funky due to covid. Lot of teams have smaller than ideal rosters so they are supplementing however they can. I think next year, we'll see a bit of a "reckoning" (even more than this year)

Reckoning there's just not enough paying customers that want to travel crazy amounts every weekend to play the same teams so unless things are scaled back or reorganized not sure?

Peak 2019 numbers not sure will see those again for some time. ~ 25-33% off this year but for 22-23'? What's you guess from peak 18-19'?

Reckoning there's just not enough paying customers that want to travel crazy amounts every weekend to play the same teams so unless things are scaled back or reorganized not sure?

Peak 2019 numbers not sure will see those again for some time. ~ 25-33% off this year but for 22-23'? What's you guess from peak 18-19'?
I think it all depends on what the u-littles look like this year. For anything 2007/2006 and older- the numbers will be way low. Blood in the water for mega-clubs to absorb lots of players without even having to purchase entire clubs.

I think it all depends on what the u-littles look like this year. For anything 2007/2006 and older- the numbers will be way low. Blood in the water for mega-clubs to absorb lots of players without even having to purchase entire clubs.

You're talking about non letter league 06-07 being low correct? because if you look at ECNL, RL, and even GA rosters they're all at around 18-20 some even more than that which is crazy.... yeah yeah injury and all that but still crazy

You're talking about non letter league 06-07 being low correct? because if you look at ECNL, RL, and even GA rosters they're all at around 18-20 some even more than that which is crazy.... yeah yeah injury and all that but still crazy

I think it's across the board. I haven't looked at every team in ECNL- But a few 03/04 and 05 teams have players spread across 2 or 3 rosters.
So for an ECNL, ECNL-RL and a Discovery/F1 Team - They have about 50 players total.
For clubs that don't have ECNL status - They had 2 team in an age group last year. Now they only have 1. It may have a decent sized roster (18+), but in 2019 that same player pool would be about 30 deep and spread over 2 teams.

Last edited:
I think it's across the board. I haven't looked at every team in ECNL- But a few 03/04 and 05 teams have players spread across 2 or 3 rosters.
So for an ECNL, ECNL-RL and a Discovery/F1 Team - They have about 50 players total.
For clubs that don't have ECNL status - They had 2 team in an age group last year. Now they only have 1. It may have a decent sized roster (18+), but in 2019 that same player pool would be about 30 deep and spread over 2 teams.

Oh okay I see what you're saying, as usual I just skimmed through before I responded (doh!) my bad...

Lafalafa: I was wondering what the impact of COVID was on the total

Lafalafa: can you point me to where you get those numbers?
numbers. Where do you get that data? I would like to dig deeper into those.

AYSO numbers are down across the board. The pipeline has shrunk for 2012s 2013s and 2014s who you would expect to graduate from AYSO to local clubs. Expectation is currently that 2022 fall may look brighter once the ulittles have their shots in arms, so then you would expect club pipelines to pick up in 2023 spring.

I use to get caught up in this endless silly argument over which league, club, and team was stronger or better. I just scanned this thread for old times sake. I can tell you that eventually it will not matter. Everyone should be focused instead on whether your kid is happy. Do they enjoy soccer, their team and teammates? As a parent are you having fun watching your kid and being involved? For the few that can really aspire to playing college ball are they getting better? Are the getting visibility by coaches? Nothing else matters.

AYSO numbers are down across the board. The pipeline has shrunk for 2012s 2013s and 2014s who you would expect to graduate from AYSO to local clubs. Expectation is currently that 2022 fall may look brighter once the ulittles have their shots in arms, so then you would expect club pipelines to pick up in 2023 spring.
Interesting data from Colorado. 15% drop in current participation.

Back