GA, ECRL is there a difference??

If there is already a thread about this I apologize, please show me the thread. I am curious if there is a big difference between GA and ECRL.... I notice that a lot of RL teams are overflowing with players and GA teams aren't or at least the ones I have seen. I don't want to start an argument with RL vs GA, but I am genuinely curious if there is a huge difference in regards to talent. I am still baffled by how a few clubs/teams continue to stay in the ECNL but that's a whole other thread.
My gut feeling is one top league and everyone else play Coast, or So Cal or whatever..... but what do I know

In So Cal ECRL is the B teams of the A clubs, GA is A teams of B clubs. Some of that is opinion. GA league is national and has its own showcases nationally as well as a playoff and good college attendance. ECRL is regional only as of now I believe. They have expanded to regions other than SW but I don't think you play anything outside of your region yet.

In So Cal ECRL is the B teams of the A clubs, GA is A teams of B clubs. Some of that is opinion. GA league is national and has its own showcases nationally as well as a playoff and good college attendance. ECRL is regional only as of now I believe. They have expanded to regions other than SW but I don't think you play anything outside of your region yet.

This is a good take. Except ECRL now offers a couple National showcases for this season and beyond

If there is already a thread about this I apologize, please show me the thread. I am curious if there is a big difference between GA and ECRL.... I notice that a lot of RL teams are overflowing with players and GA teams aren't or at least the ones I have seen. I don't want to start an argument with RL vs GA, but I am genuinely curious if there is a huge difference in regards to talent. I am still baffled by how a few clubs/teams continue to stay in the ECNL but that's a whole other thread.
My gut feeling is one top league and everyone else play Coast, or So Cal or whatever..... but what do I know

I think GAL is a little bit stronger than RL with regards to competition but there are obviously exceptions......and I do have GA ahead with regard to events too vs RL

I not sure what the bit about how few clubs continue to stay in ECNL means..... nobody is leaving it's up to 17 in the SW and 13 in SoCali where almost all the top talent has aggregated (other than Sharks who are weak finishing last or second last across all age groups)......so there basically IS one top league, GA and RL give additional options that are still superior to Coast/So Cal leagues...........

This is a good take. Except ECRL now offers a couple National showcases for this season and beyond

I think GAL is a little bit stronger than RL with regards to competition but there are obviously exceptions......and I do have GA ahead with regard to events too vs RL

I not sure what the bit about how few clubs continue to stay in ECNL means..... nobody is leaving it's up to 17 in the SW and 13 in SoCali where almost all the top talent has aggregated (other than Sharks who are weak finishing last or second last across all age groups)......so there basically IS one top league, GA and RL give additional options that are still superior to Coast/So Cal leagues...........

You're right, I forget to look outside the box of age specific teams so although certain age groups are very weak, overall the club may be strong.

Not too many clubs in the GA SW... it will be interesting to see what happens

I do know while our ECNL sat last season the GA played... so they get points there

Anyhow whatever letter or non letter league your kid plays in good luck this season to all on the board...

Southwest ECRL = Many very good teams/clubs. A couple of not as good ones.

Southwest GA = A couple of very good teams/clubs. Many not as good ones.

Both are "B" level leagues. (Whatever that means)

The advantage of ECRL is you might get a shot at ECNL play.

The advantage of GA is you can be a superstar without having to play the top level. (Until Nationals)

Both are expensive.

GA seems to stepping up or offering additional events like showcase, champions leagues, playoffs that ECRL doesn't really match so that could be a advantage for teams doing well or players looks for a bit more exposure.

The travel might be more costly with GA due to above or that's it's more than just regional play sometimes.

For HS players some want a less demanding schedule of games and practices for the time their playing HS or during senior year and have other things going on. Not sure which league helps more with that but ECRL teams have the ability to potentially move more players around since there part of the clubs ECxx platform and can share USclub players.

Which do you think is the Stronger Southwest League?

GA Southwest
1. SDSC Surf
2. ALBION SC San Diego
3. City SC
4. LA Surf Soccer Club
5. West Coast F.C.
6. Murrieta Soccer Academy

ECNL Southwest
1. Arizona Arsenal
2. Arsenal FC
3. Del Mar Sharks
4. Eagles SC
5. Heat FC
6. LA Breakers FC
7. Phoenix Rising FC
8. Real So Cal
9. Rebels SC
10. San Diego Surf
11. Slammers FC
12. Slammers FC HB
13. So Cal Blues SC
14 Strikers FC

Which do you think is the Stronger Southwest League?

GA Southwest
1. SDSC Surf
2. ALBION SC San Diego
3. City SC
4. LA Surf Soccer Club
5. West Coast F.C.

ECNL Southwest
1. Arizona Arsenal
2. Arsenal FC
3. Del Mar Sharks
4. Eagles SC
5. Heat FC
6. LA Breakers FC
7. Phoenix Rising FC
8. Real So Cal
9. Rebels SC
10. San Diego Surf
11. Slammers FC
12. Slammers FC HB
13. So Cal Blues SC
14 Strikers FC

You forgot Beach, Legends and Royals…

But TBF the OP is asking about GA and ECRL…..that is a fair question…..

Which do you think is the Stronger Southwest League? (updated because I forgot to add a couple of ECNL clubs)

GA Southwest
1. SDSC Surf
2. ALBION SC San Diego
3. City SC
4. LA Surf Soccer Club
5. West Coast F.C.

ECNL Southwest
1. Arizona Arsenal
2. Arsenal FC
3. Del Mar Sharks
4. Eagles SC
5. Heat FC
6. LA Breakers FC
7. Phoenix Rising FC
8. Real So Cal
9. Rebels SC
10. San Diego Surf
11. Slammers FC
12. Slammers FC HB
13. So Cal Blues SC
14 Strikers FC
15. Beach
16. Legends
17. Royals

Which do you think is the Stronger Southwest League? (updated because I forgot to add a couple of ECNL clubs)

GA Southwest
1. SDSC Surf
2. ALBION SC San Diego
3. City SC
4. LA Surf Soccer Club
5. West Coast F.C.

ECNL Southwest
1. Arizona Arsenal
2. Arsenal FC
3. Del Mar Sharks
4. Eagles SC
5. Heat FC
6. LA Breakers FC
7. Phoenix Rising FC
8. Real So Cal
9. Rebels SC
10. San Diego Surf
11. Slammers FC
12. Slammers FC HB
13. So Cal Blues SC
14 Strikers FC
15. Beach
16. Legends
17. Royals
I'd guess ecrl is stronger than ga this year, but hard to say for sure until we see which players decided to exit ga this year (I think many of the better players did). Last year, I would've probably said ga was a better place to be than ecrl, but I suspect ga took a big step back in overall quality this year.

I'd guess ecrl is stronger than ga this year, but hard to say for sure until we see which players decided to exit ga this year (I think many of the better players did). Last year, I would've probably said ga was a better place to be than ecrl, but I suspect ga took a big step back in overall quality this year.
Didn't the 2009 Albion GA team just go over the Sharks to play ECNL? Need any additional datapoints?

1631214842640.png

Didn't the 2009 Albion GA team just go over the Sharks to play ECNL? Need any additional datapoints?
Uh yeah, not sure one 2009 team potentially moving is really enough data for me to make an informed decision. :)

Like I said, I suspect ecrl is better now. We do know some girls who have moved from ga to ecnl this year, and a few who have moved from ecrl to ga. Ecrl still only has a couple of national events and one of them is right in the middle of high school season, which is a misstep if you ask me.

Maybe, I'm sure everyone has their own reasons.

But what about Beach, Eagles, and Legends switching from GA to ECNL?

Eagles were never in GA. Beach and Legends wanted to be in ECNL from the beginning so them leaving was never in question. But this thread was comparing GA to ECRL. I don't think anyone is questioning that ECNL is the better league.

GA Southwest
1. SDSC Surf
2. ALBION SC San Diego
3. City SC
4. LA Surf Soccer Club
5. West Coast F.C.

ECNL Southwest
1. Arizona Arsenal
2. Arsenal FC
3. Del Mar Sharks
4. Eagles SC
5. Heat FC
6. LA Breakers FC
7. Phoenix Rising FC
8. Real So Cal
9. Rebels SC
10. San Diego Surf
11. Slammers FC
12. Slammers FC HB
13. So Cal Blues SC
14 Strikers FC
15. Beach
16. Legends
17. Royals
ECNL, hands down. I am sure there are some good GA teams, but
1 - SDSC will lose their best players to Surf, Rebels and Sharks
2 - Albion - same as SDSC
3 - City - same as SDSC but far enough north they will also lose some players to Blues, Slammers, Strikers, et al
4 - Do not know enough about this club
5 - West Coast - will lose players to all the great park practicing ECNL teams,
6 - Murrieta - will lose players to SD and OC ECNL teams + Legends

If you are comparing GA to ECRL it will be more of a team by team comparison and it will change year by year.
There are a lot of good kids, playing quality soccer at each level. And for a variety of reasons. Best of luck and an injury free season to everyone.

Back