GA departures

This all makes sense. There are dozens of smaller clubs unaccounted for with the SoCal/SCDSL announcement, though nearly all of the bigger clubs have made the move. Maybe there is a market with Presidio and CSL for smaller community/neighborhood clubs that don't care to compete with the bigger players in youth soccer. Time will tell.

USclub is fine with clubs in multiple leagues, ECXx, NPL's, SoCal, etc they have been making inroads vs Cal South now for years and this coming season 21-22 they maybe finally have greater numbers.

CSL is not going away they serve more of the LA and other county market for smaller to medium size clubs.

Presidio will likely downsize and continue on.

Overall Cal South will shrink some but USYS still has plenty of members in Socal. With the MLS Next platform they will still have new members to offset some of the losses to Cal South member leagues like CSL & Presidio.

You guys are missing my point. So Cal/SCDSL is a local league that is not in competition with ECNL. It is a developmental league that serves as a feeder for some of their clubs national league teams. ECNL clubs have always had teams in SCDSL.

ECNL did not let clubs compete in both ECNL and DA unless they met certain performance standards (very few did). I do not know if DA had the same policy or not. GA was created as a national league and is essentially direct competition for ECNL. So if ECNL offers Beach and Legends (which they did), I suspect they said all-in ECNL (no GA) or nothing.

You can be sure that both Legends and Beach will have their 2nd teams in ECRL next season. I am sure that it was discussed in length between the league and the clubs prior to them gaining acceptance. It's likely that the only ones that don't know this are the majority of speculators that post on this board these days and the GA league itself. Why cause a rift before the end of season. More likely that GA has been informed and is aware but is not in any hurry to tell it's member clubs so as to not drive away players or teams. If GA lasts more than 3 years, it's only because parents are dumber than I give them credit for.

You can be sure that both Legends and Beach will have their 2nd teams in ECRL next season. I am sure that it was discussed in length between the league and the clubs prior to them gaining acceptance. It's likely that the only ones that don't know this are the majority of speculators that post on this board these days and the GA league itself. Why cause a rift before the end of season. More likely that GA has been informed and is aware but is not in any hurry to tell it's member clubs so as to not drive away players or teams. If GA lasts more than 3 years, it's only because parents are dumber than I give them credit for.
That’s a blanket statement- essentially you called me and a few thousand other parents dumb. Nice classic boneheaded comment.

I must be a dumbass for letting my girl play on a solid ga team in which shes shown constant improvement and has grown under her coach than leave for the ecnl team that offered her a spot just because its ecnl. How could I be so stupid?

I must be a dumbass for letting my girl play on a solid ga team in which shes shown constant improvement and has grown under her coach than leave for the ecnl team that offered her a spot just because its ecnl. How could I be so stupid?

Has it been 3 years already? Man, time flies!!

I don't think you are a dumbass for letting your girl play on a GA team. But it is possible that you are one for not understanding my post.

Actually I could care less what e-classic thinks of GA and prospects for long term success. My kid loves her team, learning, improving, scoring goals and tasting some wins. Having seen first hand the machismo and sexist attitudes that are pervasive in soccer, I’m all in for a League that puts female players first.

I give much respect to those parents that are prioritizing a good coaching environment and friendships over just jumping to the alphabet ranking status. Our kids well being and development should come first always. If your kid is great he/she will get discovered by college scouts as long as your coach and club give them exposure.

I give much respect to those parents that are prioritizing a good coaching environment and friendships over just jumping to the alphabet ranking status. Our kids well being and development should come first always. If your kid is great he/she will get discovered by college scouts as long as your coach and club give them exposure.
To each his own soccer fan 4 life. No right or wrong, only what is right for the player and family. I have much respect for parents and kids who get the hell out of dodge ((unhealthy environment for kids)) and find a safe place. Everyone has a different experience, trust me :) It just sucks when some folks say the reason for the hop is to win medals or get scouted by the YNT scouts who said the only place to be seen was at the GDA. That was sad and not right and we ALL see how wrong that league was because that league was taken out for obvious reasons.

To each his own soccer fan 4 life. No right or wrong, only what is right for the player and family. I have much respect for parents and kids who get the hell out of dodge ((unhealthy environment for kids)) and find a safe place. Everyone has a different experience, trust me :) It just sucks when some folks say the reason for the hop is to win medals or get scouted by the YNT scouts who said the only place to be seen was at the GDA. That was sad and not right and we ALL see how wrong that league was because that league was taken out for obvious reasons.

My daughter wasn’t even on a club team during that “era” but GA seems to have a different focus than the DA. I know you know the difference between them - just a reminder not to conflate the two organizations.

End of day, top players put in the extra work, and maybe with some luck and coach connections, get somewhere.

Can’t remember where I heard that most starters at Long Beach are walk ons. if true, it might be that recruited players (who likely came from one of letter leagues), let off the gas once school started and lost starting time to tough, hardworking local ballers who didn’t come through the showcase ranks.

Curious if anyone has heard similar?

My daughter wasn’t even on a club team during that “era” but GA seems to have a different focus than the DA. I know you know the difference between them - just a reminder not to conflate the two organizations.

End of day, top players put in the extra work, and maybe with some luck and coach connections, get somewhere.

Can’t remember where I heard that most starters at Long Beach are walk ons. if true, it might be that recruited players (who likely came from one of letter leagues), let off the gas once school started and lost starting time to tough, hardworking local ballers who didn’t come through the showcase ranks.

Curious if anyone has heard similar?
Was this directed at me bro? I think you said your dd came late to the club scene and went through DPL first, worked hard and then got her chance with the call up to the big squad in GDA game and never got sent back to the minors? She has speed and is scoring goals and that's all that matters to many. She will be find 100% and I really love the story of hard work bro. My dd was balling in that "era" and it was done so fast and with no regard to the wellbeing of most of the girls. It was a power grab. GA in Socal is not going to work out, MOO! I'm just being honest with you bro. I do respect loyalty and staying with a coach youve been with since kid was 8. I'm telling you for most kids, they get a new coach every year. Good luck to your player. P.S. Go Dirt Bags!!!!

No it wasn’t directed at any individual. And yes you’re right. She joined a DPL, guest played a few times with DA. Then that league went poof and we all sorta went into Covid mode! Dang good that we might get to normal soon!

No it wasn’t directed at any individual. And yes you’re right. She joined a DPL, guest played a few times with DA. Then that league went poof and we all sorta went into Covid mode! Dang good that we might get to normal soon!
"Poof" is a great word on what happen to that league. I do agree with soccer fan 4 life that if your super happy with your coach and team then no reason to jump ship to play against the best of the best. My kid would have none of that btw. She and I come from the same cloth. She would 100% look to be playing with the best and against the best. She would leave bro for greener ((more competitive matches)) pasture, I wont lie.

Actually I could care less what e-classic thinks of GA and prospects for long term success. My kid loves her team, learning, improving, scoring goals and tasting some wins. Having seen first hand the machismo and sexist attitudes that are pervasive in soccer, I’m all in for a League that puts female players first.
Oh don't worry, this debate will continue forever. You will hear the sales pitch over and over. Keep your eye on the ball. Most college coaches will tell you that what's most important is environment , consistency, and grades. Of course quality of competition matters. The reality is that a few on this forum (or on any forum) will have players that will play on any YNT or go to a top rated P5 school. Those schools get pick of the litter. They get first dibs and roster space is limited (even though they are large rosters).

Everyone wants to kill the GA, I get it. They will be challenged to say the least. They have set the right temperament and priorities. The current track record clearly shows ECNL fills the rosters of top collegiate teams at a higher rate than anyone else, even when the GDA was around. And they should, ECNL's footprint is large. It's good to have choices. If your player can start for (Surf), be an impact player and be a leader, then go there. Not everyone on a Surf roster will play at Stanford, most won't. But if you are that good, Surf is a good place to be (just as an example). The recruiting process can be stressful, especially if parents and players don't level set expectations.

Find a coach that has shown success in placing players and has the temperament that you desire, stick with them as long as possible. Enjoy the ride.

Oh don't worry, this debate will continue forever. You will hear the sales pitch over and over. Keep your eye on the ball. Most college coaches will tell you that what's most important is environment , consistency, and grades. Of course quality of competition matters. The reality is that a few on this forum (or on any forum) will have players that will play on any YNT or go to a top rated P5 school. Those schools get pick of the litter. They get first dibs and roster space is limited (even though they are large rosters).

Everyone wants to kill the GA, I get it. They will be challenged to say the least. They have set the right temperament and priorities. The current track record clearly shows ECNL fills the rosters of top collegiate teams at a higher rate than anyone else, even when the GDA was around. And they should, ECNL's footprint is large. It's good to have choices. If your player can start for (Surf), be an impact player and be a leader, then go there. Not everyone on a Surf roster will play at Stanford, most won't. But if you are that good, Surf is a good place to be (just as an example). The recruiting process can be stressful, especially if parents and players don't level set expectations.

Find a coach that has shown success in placing players and has the temperament that you desire, stick with them as long as possible. Enjoy the ride.
Hey Happy, we all have a different ball(s) to look at. Some look at college only and that is where their eye is at. Some want to play against the best and it's just about pure competition balling. Some want to win championship ball game and will look to make a team so they win too. Some want...........fill in the blank. I dont want to kill the GA and I hope it stays in business. The GDA I was not a fan of at all. I was just being honest with what I could see with my eyes in socal. Find a coach? Enjoy the ride of a crazy ass roller coaster and for some, a coaster that goes into the darkness and never stops. The only way off is to jump off and hope to God you land on a cushion. Imagine jumping off Space Mountain Happy?

Last edited:
Hey Happy, we all have a different ball(s) to look at. Some look at college only and that is where their eye is at. Some want to play against the best and it's just about pure competition balling. Some want to win championship ball game and will look to make a team so they win too. Some want...........fill in the blank. I dont want to kill the GA and I hope it stays in business. The GDA I was not a fan of at all. I was just being honest with what I could see with my eyes in socal. Find a coach? Enjoy the ride of a crazy ass roller coaster and for some, a coaster that goes into the darkness and never stops. The only way off is to jump off and hope to God you land on a cushion. Imagine jumping off Space Mountain Happy?
Yep, find a coach, usually a good start.

We've experienced ECNL and GDA. GDA did soccer better than ECNL. ECNL ran/runs business better. We have a coach and environment that is right for us for right now. It's good to have choices and be in control of when/how to make choices. Parents just need to be informed. Kinda like going to the Dr. Have your list of questions ready and your research done. Parent temperament also plays an enormous role.

And yes, roller coaster it is, enjoy the ride - players only get one ride.

We've experienced ECNL and GDA. GDA did soccer better than ECNL. ECNL ran/runs business better. We have a coach and environment that is right for us for right now. It's good to have choices and be in control of when/how to make choices. Parents just need to be informed. Kinda like going to the Dr. Have your list of questions ready and your research done. Parent temperament also plays an enormous role.

And yes, roller coaster it is, enjoy the ride - players only get one ride.
GDA did not do better than ECNL. That is 100% a crock Happy. First, no playoffs for U14 kids. That was so stupid and lame. Second, no hs soccer allowed unless you had money and a waiver. Super stupid and probably one of the reasons that league was not better than ECNL and why it failed. Third, they used the YNT List as a carrot to sucker folks to their league. That was stupid and not fair to kids who were either far away from the GDA or were forced to make a move and go to another team that had GDA sign in the front window. I understand loyality but most kids had to transfer teams and then again and again. The soccer was weak and watered down. End of story!!!

Back