GA departures

You beat me to the punch. Of the 2 clubs in GA in AZ this year, the better club went back to ECNL. To be honest Royals are probably the best club out of the ECNL/GA clubs in AZ.

del Sol will have issues going forward at the younger ages coming in.

Parents and kids know in the SW ECNL is the stronger option. So they will go to the 3 ECNL clubs first.

del Sol also has the problem that now they are not in the SW playing So Cal teams. They are offering competition vs NM, NV, CO and UT. That competition isn't as good. The other issue? The travel for them got a lot worse considering they now have to fly to games in UT and CO.

All that adds up to them being option 4 out of the 4 clubs offering ECNL or GA.

Let's hope they have their sales pitch together. Honestly, many are flying now but not having the option to drive is not a good thing. This new travel didn't deter parents from coming over after tryouts. It may drive them out once they put it into practice for one season.

Royals are in the best position for sure.

It's not their strength and their model. Their focus is always on their platform teams and recruiting away from other clubs, finding players where no one else is
This is what they did.

When they had ECNL it was just del Sol and Sereno. Sereno had gotten lazy about recruiting. del Sol wasn't. They offered the top league. At the age when kids could start ECNL, the best players moved to del Sol. It was easy pickings for them. They had the best platform.

So for years they had the best teams in AZ. They got comfy with that arrangement. They on the girls sides don't have a lot of state teams anymore and the ones that they do are not good. They have a very small rec program.

Things started to change when Sereno became RSL/Royals and merged with Legacy and some other clubs in the Valley. Suddenly not all the best players were going to del Sol. Then when Rising and Arsenal got ECNL things changed. Rising usually has some of the best girls teams at the younger ages. The problem they always had was when those kids were old enough to play in ECNL the best one left for del Sol. With Rising having ECNL that pipeline is gone. With RSL/Royals having ECNL that pipeline is gone. Same with Arsenal. And those 3 clubs are now very actively recruiting non ECNL clubs...ie places where del Sol used to be the only game in town.

So they have a problem going forward. They wont get the pick of the litter anymore like they used to a few years ago. They now offer a league that parents and players know isn't as good in the SW area as ECNL. Then factor in travel...and they have problems.

People talk about coaching, etc. If del Sol had never had ECNL/DA/GA in the past, the vast vast majority of the players they had would not have moved over. The reality is that parents/kids prioritize leagues over coaching. We can all agree that a good coach is vital. But the reality is league takes priority for most people. That is simply just a fact. What del Sol is offering vs the other 3 ECNL clubs is not as good of an option marketing wise.

This is what they did.

When they had ECNL it was just del Sol and Sereno. Sereno had gotten lazy about recruiting. del Sol wasn't. They offered the top league. At the age when kids could start ECNL, the best players moved to del Sol. It was easy pickings for them. They had the best platform.

So for years they had the best teams in AZ. They got comfy with that arrangement. They on the girls sides don't have a lot of state teams anymore and the ones that they do are not good. They have a very small rec program.

Things started to change when Sereno became RSL/Royals and merged with Legacy and some other clubs in the Valley. Suddenly not all the best players were going to del Sol. Then when Rising and Arsenal got ECNL things changed. Rising usually has some of the best girls teams at the younger ages. The problem they always had was when those kids were old enough to play in ECNL the best one left for del Sol. With Rising having ECNL that pipeline is gone. With RSL/Royals having ECNL that pipeline is gone. Same with Arsenal. And those 3 clubs are now very actively recruiting non ECNL clubs...ie places where del Sol used to be the only game in town.

So they have a problem going forward. They wont get the pick of the litter anymore like they used to a few years ago. They now offer a league that parents and players know isn't as good in the SW area as ECNL. Then factor in travel...and they have problems.

People talk about coaching, etc. If del Sol had never had ECNL/DA/GA in the past, the vast vast majority of the players they had would not have moved over. The reality is that parents/kids prioritize leagues over coaching. We can all agree that a good coach is vital. But the reality is league takes priority for most people. That is simply just a fact. What del Sol is offering vs the other 3 ECNL clubs is not as good of an option marketing wise.
Great AZ takes Hound. It's not like Docs don't sell parents on the "Elitistness" of their league and why their league is the true and only pathway to greatness. When my dd was 10, Blackhawks were the top team in AZ, hands down. They played really good soccer.

This is what they did.

Thanks for the analysis. At the end of the day, none of this is good for clubs in AZ but great for club pockets. I've been around for a while - almost too long and know the story well. What I do know is that things change in a heart beat. This year the GA re-aligns conferences based on the desire of one of their top markets. Next year could happen in ECNL. The rumblings are getting louder in CA. Why travel to AZ to play 3 teams, when we have teams down the street. Allow a few more teams in and ECNL re-aligns as well. The writing is on the wall.

Arsenal is in the worst position. They've lost a top player here and there.

I do wish them all luck. It's unfortunate that club/league greed gets in the way of providing a true top platform for our players.

Great AZ takes Hound. It's not like Docs don't sell parents on the "Elitistness" of their league and why their league is the true and only pathway to greatness. When my dd was 10, Blackhawks were the top team in AZ, hands down. They played really good soccer.
oh come on

Arsenal is in the worst position. They've lost a top player here and there.
I think Arsenal is in a spot to be in a good position in the next 10 yrs. Why? The Valley is pushing further and further east. They will benefit from it.

That said out of the 3 clubs in ECNL, they are in the weakest position due to their location now.z

By the way, there are a lot of people that don't like del Sol for whatever reason. I am not one of those people.

I think Arsenal is in a spot to be in a good position in the next 10 yrs. Why? The Valley is pushing further and further east. They will benefit from it.

That said out of the 3 clubs in ECNL, they are in the weakest position due to their location now.z

By the way, there are a lot of people that don't like del Sol for whatever reason. I am not one of those people.
Sounds like good logic. Expansion is occurring across the Valley but the east side seems to be a few a few steps ahead. The northwest valley will expand quickly once the Semi Conductor plant comes to fruition (and all of its supporting entities).

Del Sol isn't liked by many. A few things come to mind - 1. attitude of their way is THE way 2. They stick to their style of play. It's hard to be consistent in their style at the younger age groups which means they lose more than they win. 3. They are not afraid of having the tough conversation in regards to the development/talent of your player. This turns sensitive parents away, attracts others. They've never changed and I don't think they will. I can appreciate their approach - don't mind it at all. Good thing we have choices I suppose.

They have a knack for finding players in corners of the valley that others haven't and then develop them. Their 05/06 teams are full of those types of players. I think you stated that other clubs are starting to do the same. Of note, the size of clubs like RSL and Rising also means that talent on 2nd teams get lost in the salad. As you well know, not much connection between ECRL/DPL teams and top teams. Del Sol has had success this year tapping into that. Plenty of talent in RSL, they are enormous. One or two tryouts for a top team isn't usually enough. Extended invites to practices seems to be the key to ID talent.

As you well know, not much connection between ECRL/DPL teams and top teams.
The clubs rarely pull up from the ECRL/DPL teams. It does happen...but not to the extent the clubs advertise it.

What seems to happen is the other clubs look and pull from those teams. So it is beneficial in the sense that playing on those teams can mean an offer from another club.

I have enjoyed reading your discussion on the AZ club soccer landscape. I am curious where the better Tucson players play? They do not have GA or ECNL, correct?
Great question. I know families that commute 3 times a week to practice in phoenix from Tucson and Flagstaff. Don't know any prescott players.

FC Tucson is a great club, well staffed and run. Some age groups do very well in State League (the 06s come to mind). I wonder if getting DPL and likely elevation to GA will keep some talent home.

On a more extreme scale, both Del Sol and RSL routinely had part time players coming in from out of state (NV/NM). Talented players that were happy to get the opportunity to play at a higher level, gain exposure, etc.. With the GA expanding to ABQ and in Vegas, that pipeline will close - which is great for those communities.

The clubs rarely pull up from the ECRL/DPL teams. It does happen...but not to the extent the clubs advertise it.

What seems to happen is the other clubs look and pull from those teams. So it is beneficial in the sense that playing on those teams can mean an offer from another club.

No doubt.

Scouting/recruiting the ECRL/DPL teams is definitely happening. ECRL expansion out west by Rising has identified plenty of talent. Del Sol has been first to the watering hole this time around. Maybe Rising figures it out and doesn't let that happen next go around. It's interesting to say the least. More girls getting opportunities where there wasn't in the past. I suppose in a sense, the DPL/ECRL theory can work, just not in house.

Great question. I know families that commute 3 times a week to practice in phoenix from Tucson and Flagstaff. Don't know any prescott players.

FC Tucson is a great club, well staffed and run. Some age groups do very well in State League (the 06s come to mind). I wonder if getting DPL and likely elevation to GA will keep some talent home.

On a more extreme scale, both Del Sol and RSL routinely had part time players coming in from out of state (NV/NM). Talented players that were happy to get the opportunity to play at a higher level, gain exposure, etc.. With the GA expanding to ABQ and in Vegas, that pipeline will close - which is great for those communities.
My dd plays for RSL Southern Arizona (Tucson) and the 06 and 08 teams are doing very well. Both won state cup. Like FC Tucson ( who the 06’s beat in the final 3-0) Rsl Tucson is also joining DPL next season. For smaller clubs that don’t have GA or ECNL, DPL should be an excellent opportunity To showcase their teams. And for Tucson players , maybe they don’t have to hike to the Phoenix area to play on the other letter teams.

Back