GA 2020-2021 Season

Well your teams will be at full capacity. AIA just cancelled winter high school sports in AZ. So all those players will be back at club practice next week.
Rumor has it that the season may be back on, in some form or fashion, with or without AIA. My oldest is having a pow wow tomorrow with coaches and the other team captain. We shall see.

Surf Cup was very well run. Protocols were in place. The event is outside. As someone who attended and knows many who did, I have not heard a single 'story' of anyone catching the virus there.

My sons team attended and three players contracted Covid 19. Symptoms started to show three days after arriving home. They were tested before leaving for Arizona and they were negative.

My sons team attended and three players contracted Covid 19. Symptoms started to show three days after arriving home. They were tested before leaving for Arizona and they were negative.
What precautions did they take?

Did you guys choose airplanes and restaurants , or driving and sandwiches in the hotel ?

No judgement. Just trying to plan.

You must be lying. People here say it is impossible to get Covid from a soccer tournament. The players teleport onto the fields during games and then teleport back right after.

I’m sure those kids were never in contact with anyone at any point during or after the tournament, right? That’s the best thing about the teleportation protocols; there is no need to go through and airport or travel in a car with other people.

You must be lying. People here say it is impossible to get Covid from a soccer tournament. The players teleport onto the fields during games and then teleport back right after.

I’m sure those kids were never in contact with anyone at any point during or after the tournament, right? That’s the best thing about the teleportation protocols; there is no need to go through and airport or travel in a car with other people.
I read about the crazy outbreak - it was brutal. All of those kids..

I thought US Soccer was reporting near bankruptcy with a financial loss of over $100 mil. They cited the DA and legal issues are contributing to that financial problem. It was in a recent Soccer America article

I heard this camp is virtual but don't know how true that is

140 players invited.
Initial zoom is Friday. Subsequent calls between then and end of March will be position specific.
I’m sure the goal is to reestablish connection and share information/teach.

Putting aside the distractions, financial woes and drama, those directly involved with YNTs have been trying to stay connected since the pandemic began. Early on, each age group staff was having periodical zoom meetings, bringing on great guest speakers (current WMNT head coach/former coaches, etc), and giving the girls assignments. That waned towards the end of summer. It's good to see them doing something. We will see how this virtual camp plays out. We have a keeper an age group up from my DD selected - her first time.

It's exciting for those newly selected and a sigh of relief for the "old timers". Unfortunately the newly selected girls won't get the whole experience. The staff does a great job of fully immersing the girls into a WMNT style training camp. The Chula Vista facility is excellent.

General question please: Player gets taken down in penalty area as she’s taking her shot. Penalty awarded. Another player scores the PK. Does that go down as an assist? Thanks

So having tracked the call ups for camps and international events for the past 5-6 years it is safe to say that these “call-ups” will help with recruiting and getting a scholarship but it says nothing about opportunities with the full team or actual performance at the college and adult level. Of the main “superstars” over the years with repeated youth call-ups that are now adult age I would say Pugh, Pickett, McKeown, Sanchez. and Smith are the main ones - where are they today? Pugh skipped college and hasn’t been in a game for a long time with lingering injuries and won’t be in She Believes and probably not Olympics. Sanchez left college and went pro but no call up to the full team. McKeown and Pickett were drafted and hopefully will have opportunities with the full team but not yet. Smith is the only one that seems to be on a solid track. So that is 5 out of 200 - 300 players with call-ups in this age group over the years. I always support dreams and every player should put the work in to reach those dreams but I used to think the call-ups and the training centers meant something but now, having followed it for years and watching how these players are doing at the college level I see they don’t mean that much.

So having tracked the call ups for camps and international events for the past 5-6 years it is safe to say that these “call-ups” will help with recruiting and getting a scholarship but it says nothing about opportunities with the full team or actual performance at the college and adult level. Of the main “superstars” over the years with repeated youth call-ups that are now adult age I would say Pugh, Pickett, McKeown, Sanchez. and Smith are the main ones - where are they today? Pugh skipped college and hasn’t been in a game for a long time with lingering injuries and won’t be in She Believes and probably not Olympics. Sanchez left college and went pro but no call up to the full team. McKeown and Pickett were drafted and hopefully will have opportunities with the full team but not yet. Smith is the only one that seems to be on a solid track. So that is 5 out of 200 - 300 players with call-ups in this age group over the years. I always support dreams and every player should put the work in to reach those dreams but I used to think the call-ups and the training centers meant something but now, having followed it for years and watching how these players are doing at the college level I see they don’t mean that much.
Great work 43. You know your stuff and I appreciate all the hard work. I know I rant too much and I cause many a heartache. After 4 years of my own investigation, it was 100% a ticket to Big U. I had no idea back when my dd was in 7th grade how it helped get in the Door. It's all good and I now understand how things worked back in the day. I see a bright future for all of us soon :)

If the camps, call ups, etc. are not the path to national team, how are players identified then? How was Rose Lavelle found? Or Sam Mewis? Do their dads and moms know someone?

Or are you saying that is the path, but that getting called up is the easy part? And from there, the real work starts...

Back