G06 Surf Cup 2019

Seems like the brackets may be firmed up as they haven't changed in a while. Some real head scratchers in the bracketing. I get needing some out of state diversity in all the flights, but some of the out of state teams in the "best of the best" are clearly less deserving than Surf Brookfield/DPL, LA Surf DA, Rebels and Albion LV. Also, there are 2 Blues teams in the top flight. I get having the top Blues team there (Blues ECNL I think) but what about the 2nd team. Who is the 2nd team, and where did they play last year? Also, why put Surf DA and Galaxy DA in the same bracket, particularly when Bracket D looks so weak. It seems like Surf DA, Blues top team and Galaxy DA should all be seeded in different brackets. Surf Hawaii was a tough team last year so I could see them also seeded. This all seems pretty obvious stuff, wondering why Surf tourney peeps can't figure it out.

Seems like the brackets may be firmed up as they haven't changed in a while. Some real head scratchers in the bracketing. I get needing some out of state diversity in all the flights, but some of the out of state teams in the "best of the best" are clearly less deserving than Surf Brookfield/DPL, LA Surf DA, Rebels and Albion LV. Also, there are 2 Blues teams in the top flight. I get having the top Blues team there (Blues ECNL I think) but what about the 2nd team. Who is the 2nd team, and where did they play last year? Also, why put Surf DA and Galaxy DA in the same bracket, particularly when Bracket D looks so weak. It seems like Surf DA, Blues top team and Galaxy DA should all be seeded in different brackets. Surf Hawaii was a tough team last year so I could see them also seeded. This all seems pretty obvious stuff, wondering why Surf tourney peeps can't figure it out.
Looks who’s back. The Forum hasn’t heard from you since you went and hid after making that ridiculous comment last August about the “Blues/Legends team”. Blues had one Legends player guest for them since they were short but evidently that’s a big deal to you.

Looks who’s back. The Forum hasn’t heard from you since you went and hid after making that ridiculous comment last August about the “Blues/Legends team”. Blues had one Legends player guest for them since they were short but evidently that’s a big deal to you.
Ah, we have another fan of his "work" :D Still trolling...

Wow you Blues folks are really sensitive about the guesting thing. Just remember, the guesting police are watching you...

Wow you Blues folks are really sensitive about the guesting thing. Just remember, the guesting police are watching you...
Not sensitive at all, just don’t like people that blow things out of proportion and make false accusations. Let me ask you the same question
I asked you last year before you spouted off and disappeared. What Club does your daughter play on?

...Also, why put Surf DA and Galaxy DA in the same bracket, particularly when Bracket D looks so weak. It seems like Surf DA, Blues top team and Galaxy DA should all be seeded in different brackets. Surf Hawaii was a tough team last year so I could see them also seeded. This all seems pretty obvious stuff, wondering why Surf tourney peeps can't figure it out.
Just checked the schedules and they now have surf da, la galaxy da and blues da in the same bracket. Wtf? Hoping they aren’t serious.

Just checked the schedules and they now have surf da, la galaxy da and blues da in the same bracket. Wtf? Hoping they aren’t serious.
Looking at my hard copy (Tech and K4L):D it looks like Fever United was removed for the addition of blues. No kiddin WTF.

Can someone explain the difference between Blues Holley and Blues ECNL? Which one is the top team from last season?

YSR

Arsenal CO 94
SD Surf 3
LAG 8
Blues 5 (this is the ECNL team that will probably be DA)

Eastside 44
Manteca 243
SDSC 58
Surf Hawaii 528

Blackhawks 76
Crossfire. 70
Blues ECNL (no ranking this is the new squad)
Solar 85

LAGSD 79
OC Surf 39
Palo Alto 69
Walnut Creek 130

These brackets are FUBAR. So much for GS rankings.

Last edited:
I don't think that YSR ranking (528?) can be correct for Surf Hawaii. Lots of teams that I am unfamiliar with here, but I would expect most to consider Hawaii a top 4 team in this flight of teams, right? Or am I missing some change that occurred recently? I suspect that Blues ECNL should not be in Best of the Best at all and might regret asking for such a high placement in this tournament.

I don't think that YSR ranking (528?) can be correct for Surf Hawaii. Lots of teams that I am unfamiliar with here, but I would expect most to consider Hawaii a top 4 team in this flight of teams, right? Or am I missing some change that occurred recently? I suspect that Blues ECNL should not be in Best of the Best at all and might regret asking for such a high placement in this tournament.
I’m thinking/hoping that there are still a lot of adjustments to be made to the schedule, including teams moving to different brackets within a division and teams moving up or down into different divisions.

Agree with you on Surf Hawaii.

When my better half spoke to Surf Hawaii parents last year, they said that the team was made up of players from various Surf clubs on the islands. Don't know if is the case this year, but they are no doubt a potential top seeded team.

Can someone explain the difference between Blues Holley and Blues ECNL? Which one is the top team from last season?

DA will be there top team. So Blues Holley.

I suspect that Blues ECNL should not be in Best of the Best at all and might regret asking for such a high placement in this tournament.

The team listed as "Blues Holley" is the DA team for 2019-20, click on the team link and it shows the DA acronym in the team info. The "Blues ECNL" is the new ECNL team for 2019-20.

Both teams will be co-coached by Abner Rogers and Brandy Holley. Blues has been on the recruiting trail and player additions have been made to support both teams. Don't be surprised to see some of the players from last years ECNL team stay put and play ECNL as the choice between DA and ECNL is a factor to consider for some.

In regards to the placement of both teams into the top flight, that is a trend that isn't beholden only to the 06 age group.

The team listed as "Blues Holley" is the DA team for 2019-20, click on the team link and it shows the DA acronym in the team info. The "Blues ECNL" is the new ECNL team for 2019-20.

Both teams will be co-coached by Abner Rogers and Brandy Holley. Blues has been on the recruiting trail and player additions have been made to support both teams. Don't be surprised to see some of the players from last years ECNL team stay put and play ECNL as the choice between DA and ECNL is a factor to consider for some.

In regards to the placement of both teams into the top flight, that is a trend that isn't beholden only to the 06 age group.
Don’t know how it will shake out but the plan for the Blues is to have the two teams in different flights. The ECNL team did not request the top flight.

None of the girls from last year’s ECNL team are playing on this year’s ECNL team. It is a completely new team.

haven't been in this age group since the birthyear change and I'm an ECNL parent, but likely SurfCup is following DA protocal and having DA teams play only against other DA teams. It's insular but also logical as it follows the DA recommendations and the "development" theme. New DA parents will have to wean themselves off the "winning-a-tournament" adrenaline because at u14, DA clubs are not supposed to care about winning per DA (that's why there is no playoffs for U14). Now, if they are consistent, they will have only one game per day for each DA team and not run the girls through a harried 4 or 5 game weekend, risking injury, and ensuring ugly soccer in the semifinals and finals because the girls are exhausted. The girls' bodies at 13 are not as forgiving as when they're 10yrs.

haven't been in this age group since the birthyear change and I'm an ECNL parent, but likely SurfCup is following DA protocal and having DA teams play only against other DA teams. It's insular but also logical as it follows the DA recommendations and the "development" theme. New DA parents will have to wean themselves off the "winning-a-tournament" adrenaline because at u14, DA clubs are not supposed to care about winning per DA (that's why there is no playoffs for U14). Now, if they are consistent, they will have only one game per day for each DA team and not run the girls through a harried 4 or 5 game weekend, risking injury, and ensuring ugly soccer in the semifinals and finals because the girls are exhausted. The girls' bodies at 13 are not as forgiving as when they're 10yrs.
For the 2019/20 season I believe there will be playoffs and a championship for the U14 age group in Girls DA unlike in the past two seasons.

Also as Surf Cup is being played in July and the DA protocol for events/games doesn’t kick in until August, Surf Cup won’t have to do a separate “DA Bracket” and so you will see DA teams play against ECNL/non-DA teams and it'll be the same at Silverlakes as well. It also means they don’t have to stick to the only one game a day rule.

Back