Foul Clip

NickName

SILVER ELITE
Its been a bit quiet around here.

I wanted to get opinions as to the "severity" of the following foul.

As usual, its pretty short (I should have looped it) so it wont color the commentary.

High school game? Those don't help referees get great angles to see play. That said, it looks like the forward looks to see where the defender is, and initiates the contact. Pretty soft, but not an egregiously bad call. Adding in the way the play turned out, I don't think coaches/players would complain too much if it was given.

Yeah, thought that might have been where this was going. At the very least, players get to learn to deal with adversity.

Don't you think the defender deliberately jumped into the blue player for the sole purpose of taking him out of the play? I just can't support that if there's no attempt to play the ball. It wasn't even shoulder to shoulder... that was his only intent.

Don't you think the defender deliberately jumped into the blue player for the sole purpose of taking him out of the play? I just can't support that if there's no attempt to play the ball. It wasn't even shoulder to shoulder... that was his only intent.
Watched it back again (a bit more carefully this time), and it does look like the white defender pulls the blue player back and spins him around. It looks like he misjudged the flight of the ball and just held the blue player back. Could have resulted in a caution.

As I said though, the 2 man system doesn't make it easy on referees, often providing horrible sight lines and forcing referees to stay on the last man. Hard to say what the "right" call is here. I would be tempted to just play on.

Back