Forum life after the Great Schism

Now that we have been formally warned and divided into On and Off topic universes, I blame -- well, on second thought, I won't give her name, because I don't like being threatened with imaginary lawsuits.

On the other now-closed thread, I was asked about my family's history. Now that things have settled down a bit, I looked up the most infamous family member, Mary Corliss Neff. She was the oldest child of George Corliss, an immigrant from England in 1639, from whom I am a direct descendent through the Corliss family to my father's mother.

Mary married William Neff and after having children of her own, was hired as a nurse by Hannah Dustin, who had birthed a baby daughter just days before their home was raided by Indians sent by the French in Quebec. The rest of the story is in here --

On March 15, 1697, when she was a 51-year-old widow, Mary Corliss Neff was serving as a nurse for Hannah Emerson Dustin and her newborn baby. The women and baby were taken captive when Abenaki Indians from Quebec raided Haverhill, killed 27 of the settlers, and took 13 captive. Mary and Hannah were assigned to a family of 13 and sent north; along the way, one of the Indians killed Hannah’s six-day-old baby by smashing it into a tree.

The two women and a 14-year-old captive from Worcester, Samuel Leonardson, killed 10 of the 12 Indians who held them in captivity (two men, three women, and seven children, with one woman and one child surviving) — with Hannah killing 9 out of the 10. They returned to Haverhill with the scalps, to collect the bounty that was in effect for killing Indians. They were rewarded by the colony in both cash and land and became famous through Cotton Mather’s telling of the tale.

On the other now-closed thread, I was asked about my family's history. Now that things have settled down a bit, I looked up the most infamous family member, Mary Corliss Neff. She was the oldest child of George Corliss, an immigrant from England in 1639, from whom I am a direct descendent through the Corliss family to my father's mother.

Mary married William Neff and after having children of her own, was hired as a nurse by Hannah Dustin, who had birthed a baby daughter just days before their home was raided by Indians sent by the French in Quebec. The rest of the story is in here --

On March 15, 1697, when she was a 51-year-old widow, Mary Corliss Neff was serving as a nurse for Hannah Emerson Dustin and her newborn baby. The women and baby were taken captive when Abenaki Indians from Quebec raided Haverhill, killed 27 of the settlers, and took 13 captive. Mary and Hannah were assigned to a family of 13 and sent north; along the way, one of the Indians killed Hannah’s six-day-old baby by smashing it into a tree.

The two women and a 14-year-old captive from Worcester, Samuel Leonardson, killed 10 of the 12 Indians who held them in captivity (two men, three women, and seven children, with one woman and one child surviving) — with Hannah killing 9 out of the 10. They returned to Haverhill with the scalps, to collect the bounty that was in effect for killing Indians. They were rewarded by the colony in both cash and land and became famous through Cotton Mather’s telling of the tale.

I found my ancestry.com password. George Corliss, the immigrant from England, is my 8xgreat-grandfather, so Mary Neff would be my 8xgreat-aunt (maybe off by 1 either way).

I found my ancestry.com password. George Corliss, the immigrant from England, is my 8xgreat-grandfather, so Mary Neff would be my 8xgreat-aunt (maybe off by 1 either way).
Ok, that makes sense to me now and I like knowing who I'm dealing with.

Ok, that makes sense to me now and I like knowing who I'm dealing with.

Well then .....you need to go back and take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror...

https://chadhyams.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/mirror-mirror.jpg

Now that I look closer, the ancestry.com built-in identifier says "7th great-grandfather" and "7th great-aunt".

Back