Food Shortages?

Dominic

DA
Staff member
Has anyone went shopping for food lately? I found rice and beans to be non existent at both target, and smart and final. Is the supply chain of food slowing down?

Hoarding is definitely a problem but with people scared to do restaurants and the children now at home even for lunch the weekly grocery orders have also gone through the roof. Even the meat sections of our market look positively Soviet. My parents have a weekly delivery set up in their burb but that has collapsed due to inavailability of items.

jpeter

PREMIER
Nah, all the normal restaurants seem to have plenty.

Went shopping at our local supermarkets morning and they actually had a decent selection of meat: roast, pork chops, steak corned beef, not much chicken.

Paper supplies gone, no sugar, low on the soup, pasta, little bread.

No lines or anything, plenty of frozen foods, chips, drinks, veggies. I pretty much bought what I do every week.

In a couple weeks when everyone calms down hopefully the shelves return to semi-normal.

We use commerical paper, jumbo 1000' foot rolls, paper tools, touchless foam soap dispensers like you see in offices. Already had a 3 month supply of that stuff. They don't sell these supplies at supermarkets but I was able to buy from home Depot and my regular places on Wednesday and received them already. We're good for the next 6 months now. Not hording and any of our neighbors or friends that needs supplies I give them out no questions asked.

I checked and everyone seems to have what they need for the most part. We bake our own bread and gave some out yesterday since a couple people we know had trouble finding some.

Water, we filter and bottle our own. Those bottle per fees (5cent) are a rip-off as the state just hords those fees so we convert to in house years ago.

blam

SILVER
I wonder...about toilet paper...its silly.

People do know you can just wash with your hand right? Moslem do this all the time in many countries. This is why they have a hose instead of toilet paper in public toilets. Wash it with your left hand and eat with your right. Or, can order a bidet.

MWN

PREMIER
I wonder...about toilet paper...its silly.

People do know you can just wash with your hand right? Moslem do this all the time in many countries. This is why they have a hose instead of toilet paper in public toilets. Wash it with your left hand and eat with your right. Or, can order a bidet.
... butt ... butt ... I'm left handed ... crap.

dad4

SILVER ELITE
Give it a few days. Supply trucks are still running.

Social distancing means people buy food in big chunks. Instead of buying 2 days of food, people bought 2 weeks of food.

We all bought 2 weeks of good at the same time. Emptied the shelves.

Now, while we all eat our 2 weeks of food, the trucks run and refill.all the shelves we emptied.

soccer661

SILVER ELITE
All of my stores are out of food.
Ours have been depleted as well...I would say at least the last 5 days...
My husband finally asked yesterday about it and nice store clerk told him they were going to be unloading a truck last night and best bet was to come before the store opened at 6am.
I was down to our last couple rolls of toliet paper, so getting desperate....so sure enough-- I woke up at early this morning and got in line at Albertson's at 5:45am before the open time...it was crazy...all of us in line with our carts --like it was Black Friday and we were hoping to get the newest Nintendo or something!! But instead we were all hoping for toliet paper, eggs, bread, etc...CRAZY!!
They had maybe about 20 packs of toliet paper-- I was number like 15 in line-- I got ONE!!!!
It was maddening in this store at 6am...I have never seen a grocery store like this.
They still were out of eggs, but did have bread and a little meat and some frozen food...Also little bits of soups, pasta, canned goods, etc.
So they were a little better stocked for the morning crowd but I'm sure by noon today it was all gone again.
Moral to my story-- ask a grocery clerk when the truck(s) are coming in for delivery/re-stock and be at the store the next morning as early as possible!!
Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!!

ChrisD

SILVER
The big problem is the go back carts , when someone thinks there above the system and the sign reads 4 cans per person or one package of paper and the customer tries to buy more , then the cashier says they can only buy 1 or four of that item, the cashier then has to place the pulled items from the dum dum that thought he could buy more in a overstock cart to get restocked later that night. Look around and you will see carts filled waiting to be restocked, all because someone doesn't want to follow the rules

I went to Stater bros and smart and final and they had more that enough meat and vegetables there, stores are refill'n PO's daily. Paper issue may be a issues due to people hoarding a bit more than normal. Be safe and be positive , everything will work out in the end.

Enjoy the slowdown, shop wisely and be courteous to others , last thing we need is people freaking out , there is not going to be a food shortage.

jpeter

PREMIER
Maybe it's just my area but I went to the big 99 cent store yesterday and there stock was pretty good. Limit 4 on the paper products but the two people in front of me got what they needed: toilet paper, paper towels, etc. They have groceries at this one so I bought some muffins, salad, carrots, milk, ice cream and couple other items like witch hazel, cotton balls, etc.

Did notice some restaurants closed cuz it's just not worth it for take out only for them I guess but I would say 70% open and all the fast foods ones.

Soon all you will see on highways is stores supply trucks. Relax, production and distribution will ramp up to meet the need . . . THAT is the beauty of the free enterprise system! The good side of capitalism as well.