First year as 11vs11

Thank you all for the feedback! This helps us try to navigate the soccer paths we have for next season.
It seems most of you have emphasized that the coach matters most at this age and the development that comes from that coach, no matter what league or level. We have the unfortunate position where there will be a coach change next year, so that is a big question mark for us.
It makes me feel better that we arent alone in the struggle of trying to figure it all out, thanks again for alll the words of wisdom.

I think one thing worth pointing out, unless somebody already did and I missed it, is that ECNL/DA teams don't really break away from the Flight 1 teams until the fall. If you go to any top tournament you are going to play DPL, ECNL, ECRL teams. For that puts even more weight on choosing the right coach and that coach having the right training environment. To be perfectly honest, the Fall season is kind of a let down after some of the battles you get on Sunday during the summer.

No one asked but here is what I think you want to see from your new coach and team going into 11v11:

- At U13, their brains have finally developed to understand tactics because they can think spatially. (This one US soccer got right) Before anyone squawks about their player learning tactics prior to this age I can simply offer that it possible biologically. Anything before...passing patterns, etc. is just rote memorization. Just like getting a dog to sit on command. You train dogs, you develop people. So, look for a coach that wants to teach them tactics...from the beginning. If he/she just shoves them into a 4-4-2 that is a red flag. Personally I want to see some video analysis and wouldn't mind a little classroom in the spring and especially in the summer.

- Less time spent on Technical. In fact, you aren't even supposed to teach technical at this age. They should already know it and they should already be working to improve it outside of team training. If someone is behind, get them a trainer, go to skills and let them find a wall and a ball. This is better in theory than application but again something to look for.

- The biggest one is competition during training. I can't stress this enough. Let's do the math....48 weeks of soccer (give or take) = 12 league games + 6 tournaments (6x3.5 games = 21) + 5 friendlies = 38 games = 2660 minutes of soccer = 133 minutes of the ball at her feet (5% of touch time which is very generous) or 3 practices x 48 weeks x 90 min of practice = 12,960 minutes = 6480 minutes of the ball at her feet (50% just a guess). How important does league feel now? League is only 840 total. Even if your player had the ball at her feet the entire game ist 15% of what they do in training.

Better make sure the coach is pushing them in practice. Better make sure the other players came to play. What do I want to hear from a coach? Playing time is bought and paid for with effort. Payment is due every day. At u13, you have two 11v11 seasons until high school. Forget league, focus on the training environment and curriculum. There are plenty of coaches who put together a practice session that some Closed League teams wouldn't want to be a part of. Find one.

No matter what....Good Luck. As long as they keep playing that is all that matters.

- Less time spent on Technical. In fact, you aren't even supposed to teach technical at this age. They should already know it and they should already be working to improve it outside of team training.
I've heard this before and I find it so strange. What other sport suggests lessening technical training at 12? None that I know of. Every sport I ever participated in emphasizes technical training and fundamentals for your entire career. Can you imagine a golfer or basketball player or tennis player claiming that they "already know" the technical side and just want to focus on tactics?

I've heard this before and I find it so strange. What other sport suggests lessening technical training at 12? None that I know of. Every sport I ever participated in emphasizes technical training and fundamentals for your entire career. Can you imagine a golfer or basketball player or tennis player claiming that they "already know" the technical side and just want to focus on tactics?
Because the player should be doing technical work on their own and applying it in training as they team works on tactics.

Back