First High School game for my daughter tonight. Excited to see it. Interesting journey to get there.

In general, what do your weekly schedules look for your DDs who are playing both High School and Club? Starting to hear more about injuries from friends and wanted to know what the grind is like. I stated earlier that my DDs club played both High School playoffs and Dallas Cup and the girls were exhausted and that was only one week. Can't imagine what toll it's taking over a 6-8 week period. Stay safe.

In general, what do your weekly schedules look for your DDs who are playing both High School and Club? Starting to hear more about injuries from friends and wanted to know what the grind is like. I stated earlier that my DDs club played both High School playoffs and Dallas Cup and the girls were exhausted and that was only one week. Can't imagine what toll it's taking over a 6-8 week period. Stay safe.
My dd chose High School Soccer ((all on her own)) only and then see where ECNL will be in late May after HSS playoffs. ECNL added home games in Vegas out of nowhere for clubs in socal with no fields. So if your a club with fields in socal, you get real home games. If no fields, then your SOL and traveling out of state to play home games. If my dd did both leagues, she would have 5 games in 7 days two weeks in a row. Were in a tough HS league and 90% of GDA players are playing this year so no way you can do both, MOO :)

Has 2 Club practices a week along (M,TH) with 2 games (Sat, Sun), one intense and one less intense. Has 2 HS practices (M,TH) a week and 2 games (TU,F), neither of which is that intense. Both coaches try to give her a rest in the games as well as some down time in practice. She does a good job of warming up/cooling down and stretching every day. We also have a hand held massager that she uses on her legs when she gets home. None of the activities has been more than 20 minutes from the house so far so that time suck hasn't been added in as of yet.

M-F either games (normally Wed & Friday) or practice with HS. Club asks her to attend either their Wed or Thursday practice. Club game(s) Saturday and/or Sunday. She misses HS on Thursday to train with club. No extra work and we leave her alone about getting rest. Different for her since she isn't running like field players, but still less time for injuries to heal. It is a lot. The other goalie on her team got injured last week in her HS game, so she is it right now. Situation is not ideal with all the games, but glad they have the opportunity to play.

Keeper daughter was doing High School track and club soccer, which included keeper training, team practice and games. Then asked to join High School soccer team with no practice required, just games. She started noticing that track practice was messing up her calf and groin. Too much for her with all the kicking that she was doing. Giving up track for good. While fast, didn't really enjoy it.

So 3 games a week, but no High School soccer practice, light team practice, and keeper training once a week right now. Much better than before. Already feeling better.

My dd chose High School Soccer ((all on her own)) only and then see where ECNL will be in late May after HSS playoffs. ECNL added home games in Vegas out of nowhere for clubs in socal with no fields. So if your a club with fields in socal, you get real home games. If no fields, then your SOL and traveling out of state to play home games. If my dd did both leagues, she would have 5 games in 7 days two weeks in a row. Were in a tough HS league and 90% of GDA players are playing this year so no way you can do both, MOO :)
If you're willing to share, what has that looked like in terms of practices / games. Has she chosen to sit out ECNL altogether until HS is over? How has her ECNL coach been about her decision? I hope she's not getting too much gripe over trying to stay healthy.

The reason I ask is my DD is having the opposite experience, she has gotten flack from her HS coach being petty about the balancing of the two commitments. Things seem to be stressed at this point but might be coming to a head in terms of just not doing HS due to the drama we usually have seen on the club side.

If you're willing to share, what has that looked like in terms of practices / games. Has she chosen to sit out ECNL altogether until HS is over? How has her ECNL coach been about her decision? I hope she's not getting too much gripe over trying to stay healthy.

The reason I ask is my DD is having the opposite experience, she has gotten flack from her HS coach being petty about the balancing of the two commitments. Things seem to be stressed at this point but might be coming to a head in terms of just not doing HS due to the drama we usually have seen on the club side.
Both of her coaches have been super supportive and they know what matters to her. ECNL games got cancelled and then added our home games in Vegas when they were originally schedule for March but got added in April, she knew she could not do both so it is what it is.

Both of her coaches have been super supportive and they know what matters to her. ECNL games got cancelled and then added our home games in Vegas when they were originally schedule for March but got added in April, she knew she could not do both so it is what it is.
Yeah, the "home" games in Arizona our girls did in the fall were pretty brutal. I have seen Strikers scheduled for some games locally in SoCal versus other teams who were able to secure fields so hopefully that was a plus.

Yeah, the "home" games in Arizona our girls did in the fall were pretty brutal. I have seen Strikers scheduled for some games locally in SoCal versus other teams who were able to secure fields so hopefully that was a plus.
To be honest bro, I have no idea what a plus or a minus is these days. I just wish ECNL had zero games scheduled during HSSS. My dd wanted to help both equally but that is not fair to her because she can;t play 5 games in 7 days with full ganas. I would have to step in and tell her one or the other. The cool thing is I didnt have to do that and she thought for herself like she always does. It sucks because she missed the Vegas games but she had two huge HSS league games that she had to be ready for. Driving 4 and half hours to go back to back home games in Vegas is lame but it is what it is.

To be honest bro, I have no idea what a plus or a minus is these days. I just wish ECNL had zero games scheduled during HSSS. My dd wanted to help both equally but that is not fair to her because she can;t play 5 games in 7 days with full ganas. I would have to step in and tell her one or the other. The cool thing is I didnt have to do that and she thought for herself like she always does. It sucks because she missed the Vegas games but she had two huge HSS league games that she had to be ready for. Driving 4 and half hours to go back to back home games in Vegas is lame but it is what it is.
I said this before, all it would take is for HS and club coaches to work together. Without practices, players will be fine just to play games. Not full games but if managed correctly, it would work. However all those coaches made a huge mess out of nothing.

Why dafuq is your club playing home games in Vegas......what kind of a show are Strikers running??!!!

DD is doing HS and club soccer as well as HS track. Her club teammates are in several different leagues so it's a challenge to schedule club practices around HS games since they're all different days of the week, so I think they've been averaging about 1 club practice a week. League is in full swing for hs track and soccer so with 2 hs games and 1 track meet a week and club games on the weekend, she's making it work - communication is key. She's also very fortunate that all her coaches have been really accommodating and flexible with multi-sport athletes in this unprecedented season (sadly I know for some kids this is not the case and coaches are making them choose). I can't imagine in a normal year they would be so accommodating - definitely a very unique time and situation.

DD is doing HS and club soccer as well as HS track. Her club teammates are in several different leagues so it's a challenge to schedule club practices around HS games since they're all different days of the week, so I think they've been averaging about 1 club practice a week. League is in full swing for hs track and soccer so with 2 hs games and 1 track meet a week and club games on the weekend, she's making it work - communication is key. She's also very fortunate that all her coaches have been really accommodating and flexible with multi-sport athletes in this unprecedented season (sadly I know for some kids this is not the case and coaches are making them choose). I can't imagine in a normal year they would be so accommodating - definitely a very unique time and situation.
My dd is going dual threat now as well. She will run in the 100 today. She is so fast now she might just break the HS track record:)

She's also very fortunate that all her coaches have been really accommodating and flexible with multi-sport athletes in this unprecedented season (sadly I know for some kids this is not the case and coaches are making them choose). I can't imagine in a normal year they would be so accommodating - definitely a very unique time and situation.
Glad to hear the coaches are being flexible, for my oldest DD club has been awesome with the flexibility and communication. High School however has been an ego trip as of late, getting pretty close to pulling both of the girls if it doesn't change.

Glad to hear the coaches are being flexible, for my oldest DD club has been awesome with the flexibility and communication. High School however has been an ego trip as of late, getting pretty close to pulling both of the girls if it doesn't change.
Talk to other team parents and talk to the athletic director at the school. It is possible that other parents have complained about the coach. Of course the HS AD could be worthless, but it doesn't hurt to try before pulling the girls off the team.

After the year these kids have had it makes me really sad to hear that coaches can't set aside their egos, even if only for one season. I hope it works out for them.

Talk to other team parents and talk to the athletic director at the school. It is possible that other parents have complained about the coach. Of course the HS AD could be worthless, but it doesn't hurt to try before pulling the girls off the team.
I just took your advice and e-mailed the AD who has always been open with us and checked in with my oldest yesterday who was coming off a injury and just got back from a showcase. He has always been very open and a great communicator and we will be chatting in person.

Will have a conversation with him, main objective is a FYI for him as the biggest concern I see here is a ethics hypocrisy and lack of communication from the coach. The player contract clearly states guidelines that the players are following but the coach is not adhering to.

Both of my kids have played for hard coaches, but every single time they knew where they stood in regards to playing time, starting, what they did well, and what they needed to work on. I'll take that any day over "Passive Aggressive" nonsense.

Most of the time, 95%, the kids handle all this dirty work, but they also have a tendency to "suck it up" and that what got my youngest in the predicament she was in with her abusive club coach and her quitting the game. I guess sitting by the corner flag with my air pods and a book isn't buying me any points for being the easy parent who writes checks and never complains. I guess I'm due every 5 years for a talk with a coach.

On the flip side, kudos to the HS track coach who has a "come and train whenever you can" policy for multi sport athletes he knows are getting in work elsewhere. The result? He has so many kids coming out the day of meets and competing and having fun. Silver lining they try it and see if they like it to the level where they invest more time in that and maybe less somewhere else.

His flexibility allowed for my oldest to be motivated and finish as a top cross country runner in league, which he also coaches, after she struggled balancing workload in prior years when DA was in place.

Back