First College Coach Call

MamaBear5

SILVER ELITE
Trying to prep the kiddo for the first college call. Pretty sure we know what to ask the coach but what kinds of questions should we be ready to field? Want to compile a little cheat sheet and maybe practice ahead of time (phone skills aren't something many in this generation are good at). TIA

"What are you interested in studying?" - I'm convinced that the coaches don't really care, especially for young recruits, but they just want to hear HOW the kids answer the question.

They will probably end with "and do you have any (more) questions for me/us?" So hold one question back for the end.

I also think that as much as we want to let our presence be known, they really don't want to hear from the parents. My daughter took most of her calls on speaker (so I could hear them) but I was always silent - it was not easy (especially when she mis-identified the program's conference!)

Exciting time. Good luck.

Trying to prep the kiddo for the first college call. Pretty sure we know what to ask the coach but what kinds of questions should we be ready to field? Want to compile a little cheat sheet and maybe practice ahead of time (phone skills aren't something many in this generation are good at). TIA

I totally blew my son's first call from a coach. He was away at a soccer camp that week, so I spoke to the recruiting assistant myself. I told him that I didn't know much about his school and didn't even know they had a DI program. It was Akron, who lost in PK's in the NCAA final in 2009 and won it all in 2010.

I totally blew my son's first call from a coach. He was away at a soccer camp that week, so I spoke to the recruiting assistant myself. I told him that I didn't know much about his school and didn't even know they had a DI program. It was Akron, who lost in PK's in the NCAA final in 2009 and won it all in 2010.

Oops...First thing we did when the coach reached out by email was do a deep dive on the school and their program.

Oops...First thing we did when the coach reached out by email was do a deep dive on the school and their program.

Don't worry if the call is not perfect or if your kid sounds like, well, a kid. My daughter definitely sounded competent and mature when discussing soccer and sounded like a young teen when talking about "college" because she was. Coaches understand that. They do not expect a polished end-of-high school young adult. At least, that was our experience and the parts when my daughter sounded immature did not "cost" her in any way.

First calls generally are geared to the “get to know you phase”, at least that’s what it’s been like in our house. Coaches will often share a lot about their program, facilities, team dynamics, and maybe get into a little bit about tactics. They just want to get to know the kid, and are well aware that young people are probably a little intimidated by this process until a relationship has been established. It’s typically not a do-or-die situation if they aren’t perfect on the first call.

First calls generally are geared to the “get to know you phase”, at least that’s what it’s been like in our house. Coaches will often share a lot about their program, facilities, team dynamics, and maybe get into a little bit about tactics. They just want to get to know the kid, and are well aware that young people are probably a little intimidated by this process until a relationship has been established. It’s typically not a do-or-die situation if they aren’t perfect on the first call.
All the calls my kid was on was all about offers and needing a quick decision.

Did she give them a quick decision? Did she make them wait? Did she sign?
On some calls, she gave them a quick decision back. On some she had time to think long and hard. Spoke to some student athletes to get a lay of the land. Because of the last 20 months, my dd never really got the official visits she was hoping for. Lot's of super talented 2022s committed in 8th grade and took up most of the spots. Most schools are only taking 5 or 6 players, instead of like 12. One school said she is always welcome and spot is there if she wants it. Pretty cool of the coach and he really liked her. Far away though and super cold and weather played a factor in saying no.

A precaution here -- just because you think the offer is not what you were looking for, it may find it is no longer there after you have tested the waters elsewhere.
I agree Espola. If you email a coach saying your interested and then the coach offers you a nice deal and you say, "let me think about it." That's why getting 7th and 8th graders to commit was insane, moo. If your kid can ball, dont send 40 emails out hoping one will bite. I don;t like that style. Patients is key and do research and seek lot's of advice. If you know the school(s), then go all in and be prepared for a killer offer. My dd got some very nice offers and as a family, were super proud of her.

Well, good for you.
Good for her to be honest. This process was tough for 2022s. I'll be frank here. These girls have been through the grin of all grinds with everything that went on with the big battle for supremacy GDA vs ECNL, age change and then the extra year for the current players has made this process difficult. I am one proud papa of my kids maturity. She did all the calling and emailing. Basically, she worked the phones like a champ. I told her to go after what she wants and nothing less.

Best of luck to you and your kiddo!!

On some calls, she gave them a quick decision back. On some she had time to think long and hard. Spoke to some student athletes to get a lay of the land. Because of the last 20 months, my dd never really got the official visits she was hoping for. Lot's of super talented 2022s committed in 8th grade and took up most of the spots. Most schools are only taking 5 or 6 players, instead of like 12. One school said she is always welcome and spot is there if she wants it. Pretty cool of the coach and he really liked her. Far away though and super cold and weather played a factor in saying no.

Still confused about what year is your kid and has she accepted an offer?

Congrats to your daughter, she must be elated!

As for questions from coaches, what is the best answer to give when asked "when do you see yourself committing?"
We've been asked this a few times and it has left my daughter squirming to find the right answer. She didn't want to say as soon as I can but felt that leaving too much time wasn't good either.

Any thoughts??

As for questions from coaches, what is the best answer to give when asked "when do you see yourself committing?"
We've been asked this a few times and it has left my daughter squirming to find the right answer. She didn't want to say as soon as I can but felt that leaving too much time wasn't good either.

Any thoughts??
I'm assuming the question is directed at me? I'm also assuming an offer has been put on the table? What year? Wat is #1 importance to player? #2? #3? Answer these questions for me.

Coach: When do you see yourself committing?

Student:

I have a few ways I would encourage your dd to answer the best way for both parties based on the answers you give. I'm here to help anyone who needs advice. It's just advice and take some of it, all of it or none of it.

Any thoughts??
It's nice to have a plan in place and choices to choose from. I know were all grateful as a little family to see the joy on her face. She truly loves to play soccer matches with and against other girls and is looking forward to the next chapter in her journey to play soccer after high school :)

Back