FIFA needs to stop "gaslighting" goalkeepers

Grace T.

PREMIER
Gee Michael, why stop with keepers who risk looking bad? We should go back to the old rules to protect all defenders who risk looking bad.

The 1863 Cambridge rules allowed all players to use their hands to bat down a ball and even to catch it in the air. If a defender was at risk of humiliation because he could not dispossess a dribbler, well, no problem! He could legally run over a dribbler if that's what it took.

After reading your posts, all I can conclude is that you were a goalkeeper who could not competently handle the ball with your feet. In a self-serving effort to ameliorate your public oafishness, you want to dumb down the rules so that incompetent stumble-bums look useful.

As for me and every other person I know, we will take rules that speed up the game and demand ball-control skills from every player on the field.
In fairness to the OP, on the boys end, there are a lot of keepers like this. Can't tell you how many times at 8, 9, 10 years old I see big hulking kids who can't run being put in goal because they can't play the field. The expectation at that age from a goalkeeper really should just be to stop balls that are hit directly to them, and those boys are big enough that they can do it and cover a large part of the goal. The problem is when they hit 11-13 they are expected to start diving....they have to in order to be effective as they move into the larger goal,and as strikers begin to learn to not shoot it directly at the keeper which also happens about this age. Some can still hang in there because they are beasts on defending the corner or scare the smaller strikers on 1 v 1 but without losing the weight they can't begin to develop the dive. And since they haven't' played on field they can't use their feet so eventually they are no longer of value to the team. They either give up (sometimes replaced by a superathletic kid or baseball player the coach has ID) or are replaced by the boys who have been training the position.

Goalie1310

SILVER
I would like to make one final point:

Every modern goalkeeper on any level, if they had a choice, would elect to pick up the ball especially if they have to play the ball quickly in order to prevent a goal from being scored on them. No goalkeeper wants to deal with balls with their feet, or God forbid dribbling it. This would be their préférence in the present, or in any future era in this beautifull game. We had this option in the past. Perhaps présent and future goalkeepers should have this option as well. Now wether or not they realize it, that is exactly what they want!
I respectfully disagree, I have two keepers G06, B07 who have been playing since 2010/2011 as keepers and field players. I highly recommend when soccer starts up again you check out some games from G06 ,07 , 08 B07,08,09 the training style and playing style in my opinion is very noticeable at these ages. You will see at the competitive levels the keepers are pretty good with their feet. Gk training are now well rounded which includes foot work and distribution , My keepers prefer a team that builds and pass in tight spots because they are more involved in the game. It’s amazing to go watch some u little move the ball around in the back, they will do it more than let’s say u 16-u17 team. In my humble opinion for parents with young keepers that want to play on the field let them demand it half and half .I say this because this will help them be a better keeper in the future ...oh ya and add Futsal have fun! @soccerkeeper1310

Grace T.

PREMIER
I, My keepers prefer a team that builds and pass in tight spots because they are more involved in the game.
The problem with this is that, particularly at the youngest ages, most teams do not build from the back. That's true of the highest level teams all the way down to the AYSO teams. (I'm open to the argument that it's less true of the girls than the boys for the simple reason that perhaps a team doesn't have a big legged girl defender that can boot the ball down the field). The reason why is because it takes the defenders quite a while to learn both tactically and technically when to hold onto the ball and dribble v. when to pass it back v. when to pass it forward. So, if a goalkeeper passes it short to a defender, the defender will lose it on their side of the field leading to GSCO. The coaches are judged purely on their wins and losses, so more often than not at that age they will have to resort to booting the ball to get it over the half way line.

I agree at these ages they should split time on the field and time in goal. The problem with that, though, is that it works only if the 2 keepers are equivalent in skill and dedication or if one is just going to be the lead and the other is content to know their place as a sub.

Goalie1310

SILVER
The problem with this is that, particularly at the youngest ages, most teams do not build from the back. That's true of the highest level teams all the way down to the AYSO teams. (I'm open to the argument that it's less true of the girls than the boys for the simple reason that perhaps a team doesn't have a big legged girl defender that can boot the ball down the field). The reason why is because it takes the defenders quite a while to learn both tactically and technically when to hold onto the ball and dribble v. when to pass it back v. when to pass it forward. So, if a goalkeeper passes it short to a defender, the defender will lose it on their side of the field leading to GSCO. The coaches are judged purely on their wins and losses, so more often than not at that age they will have to resort to booting the ball to get it over the half way line.

I agree at these ages they should split time on the field and time in goal. The problem with that, though, is that it works only if the 2 keepers are equivalent in skill and dedication or if one is just going to be the lead and the other is content to know their place as a sub.
I do agree that not every team plays out of the back but in my opinion it has gotten better with the younger teams I would say G06,07,08,09....and B07,08,09,10....from what I’ve seen these kids are learning and training out of the back , punting and just booting by the defenders is frowned upon again the age group really matters it could be GDA 05 and I saw plenty of long ball GDA 06 totally different style I’ve also seen the same in ECNL , DPL , flight 1 . I know we saw a different type of training in their soccer career since they started in the beginning very few teams passed back to the gk especially on the girl side. What was important for us was not the win but the style of play or in other words what was going to help them later. Now parents you need to ask yourself are you just wanting medals or the Title (Ecnl,GA,DA,ECRL,DPL,NPL) or whatever haha too many leagues that’s a whole other topic. Find yourself a coach that cares about how you play over just winning for GK this is very important if you want to play at the top levels whatever that is for you. As a family you decide what works for you a team with two or multiple gk or just you. This is for young u little to about u13-u14 my daughter played on the field and in goal about 50/50 most of her years but again everyone is different my son only played on the field for a few years and then decided he didn’t want to be a soccer player he only wanted to be a Goalkeeper haha his words. Most importantly have fun ! @soccerkeeper1310