Female Goalkeepers and College Recruiting

I have heard and read so many things about this subject and I am very interested to hear from folks with experience on this subject. My daughter is only in 7th grade though an 06 and I have been focused on her thoughts and opinions of what and where she wants to go. Her goal has remained to play in college and she does have the general necessary requirements such as height, athleticism, passion for the position (after goal keeper training it is as if somebody gave her speed...she is so amped and plays on 2 Mexican league boys teams along with her club team. I am cutting that down to 1 ML team because it is too much for ME.). She LOVES being a Keeper and I love watching her. She is pretty good at it. People tell me all the time how much they love watching her too because she is fearless. Having said that, I don't see anything changing related to her desire for the position and her goal which is why I am reaching out to you folks now.

Do you really need to be on an ECNL, DA, DPL, ECNLR or the other alphabet soup of teams as a Keeper and at what point? I heard one respected trainer say you don't need to be. I hate politics which is why I love the Mexican League so I would prefer to stay out of it as long as I can though my daughter is much better at dealing with it than I am. She is the one that needs to be dealing with it now thank God and I am just the bank and the uber driver.

I would love to hear experience. Notice I am not saying scholarship nor do I have that expectation. She wants to play in college and that is what I am focused on gathering information. Of course a scholarship would be nice. I am a planner and just want to make sure she is informed about what she needs to consider in making her decisions about teams and levels etc. at this point and going forward.

I get her to good trainers and we already know about the technical things she needs to be looking for in a team as well as her joy in the position and team. My request for information is focused on what she needs to consider about teams and clubs aside from the technical/development stuff and coaches etc. and when she needs to consider it, so she can attain her goal of playing in college.

I break her from video games to read some of your responses. Especially the ones where you agree with what I have already told her because I alone have no knowledge in her eyes. LOL

It all depends what level she wants to play at.

If she wants to play for a top college program, the best way to get exposure is to play DA or ECNL. If she doesn’t, it will help to be on a team (or guest play with a team) that’s good enough to get seeded with that level of play in a major tournament where college coaches are going to be so she can get seen. Freshman year would be the right time to start.

She doesn’t necessarily need showcases. College specific ID camps can work instead. This is especially true if she just wants to play in college and the level isn’t so important. You will need to have a feel for what her level of play is in order to target the right colleges. You should expose her via ID camps summer after 8th grade to Junior year.

It all depends what level she wants to play at.

If she wants to play for a top college program, the best way to get exposure is to play DA or ECNL. If she doesn’t, it will help to be on a team (or guest play with a team) that’s good enough to get seeded with that level of play in a major tournament where college coaches are going to be so she can get seen. Freshman year would be the right time to start.

She doesn’t necessarily need showcases. College specific ID camps can work instead. This is especially true if she just wants to play in college and the level isn’t so important. You will need to have a feel for what her level of play is in order to target the right colleges. You should expose her via ID camps summer after 8th grade to Junior year.
This is just what I was looking for. Thank you!

My GK daughter signed her NLI on the 13th so we just finished the process you are starting. I agree with @Soccerfan2

I will add that the unique nature of the position means the recruiting can be approved a bit differently than with field players - nothing inconsistent with the good advice from @Soccerfan2 . While it can be VERY difficult for a field player to stand out at an ID camp, a GK can. And then the purpose is to give the coaches a good reason to want to see her again, in live action. The guest playing is really good advice for non-GDA/non-ECNL players not because the player can't show her individual ability but so she can show it against top-level competition. It can be a challenge to get that guest opportunity b/c those teams may have their own GK they want to showcase (even if your daughter is the stronger player) but hopefully your kid's coach/DOC can look at her interests and find some opportunities. (an example: my daughter plays for a club in NorCal. A couple of years ago, her DOC received a call about guesting with a pre-ECNL team from AZ (so not threat of poaching) b/c their GK had an injury. The event was in SoCal and my kid played for them. While they were about a year from the scouting window opening and b/c her team would have opportunities, the substantive impact may have been low but we were able to use the coach as a reference (in the old days of resumes), he made recs for her (so there may have been scouts her saw her because of this coach - I do think US Soccer's interest was impacted by this guy) and the experience, had her own club/team situation been different, would have been incredibly valuable)

Since she is soon to be entering the window, it does make sense to sit with the coach/DOC/GK coach to discuss how to raise her exposure - find out what they can do to help. Listen carefully b/c you need to feel confident that they understand CURRENT recruiting rules, pathways, etc. You don't want BS, you want honesty. If the coach thinks your query is about assessing a go/stay decision, he/she may try to say, "well, here's what we are going to do with THIS team . . ." But the truth is: other than some small # of tournaments, the exposure she will have with her team won't come close to comparing to GDA/ECNL. That's a sad truth. So the answers they give you have to be necessarily narrow - focused on your daughter - and not team-based. Whom will they call for guesting opps? Whom will the coaches contact among their college contacts? What ID camps should she attend? Etc. Etc. Etc. She CAN be the consummate team player and still focus on her personal goals.

I agree with both posters above. The answer depends on what “playing college soccer” means for her.

There’s soooo many different college soccer experiences out there, from small schools to big, junior college and NAIA, NCAA 1, 2, and 3. Does a kid have to play in ECNL or DA to play soccer in a college somewhere? Absolutely not. My daughter played with an older Flight 2 team for a season when she played “up” by two age groups as an 8th grader. Five of her teammates on that squad went on to play in college. Two play at a small NAIA school in the Midwest, one went to a great local Division 3 school, and two others went to Division 2 schools in California. They did some of the big showcases but never in the elite brackets. It was enough for them to be seen and get interest.

On the other hand, if your daughter wouldn’t be satisfied playing for a small school, local, such as Cal Ploy Pomona or Occidental, or Cal State San Marcos, or perhaps out in places like Nebraska, or Iowa, and only has the goal of playing at the highest level possible, thinking of only big D1 schools, then she probably should try to get on an ECNL or DA team.

It’s not that the quality of soccer at big D1 schools is necessarily better than at small schools, it’s that those schools’ coaches just generally shop for talent in the same few places. The smaller schools have to be more creative where they look and start looking generally later (senior year). The reason is that the number of kids who have the ability to play D1 soccer is far, far greater than the number of scholarships out there. It’s also greater than the number of roster spots available. So the small schools wait until the D1 schools finish their recruiting and gobble up the “D1” level players who still remain uncommitted. You have to figure out now what “playing in college” means for her.

Take these scenarios:
1. Recruited to play D1 at a big Pac12 school, given a small scholarship to cover books only. Being on the team is a full time job. Sits on the bench for two years, no playing time. Plays 5-6 games as a junior, but they’ve recruited two keepers, one who is a National Team level player, and she only plays again for one half of a game on senior night the next year.
2. Recruited at a medium D2 school. Small scholarship, but tuition is affordable. Plays a little here and there first two years, starts as junior and senior.
3. Goes to a junior college, full ride for two years. Starts from day one. Gets D1 offers, transfers to big D1 school and plays as #2 keeper as junior and starter as a senior.

These are VERY realistic scenarios for the exact same player, but the only one that would require playing DA or ECNL is the first one, which arguably is the least attractive scenario from a playing standpoint. By the way, the vast majority of “elite” club players face these same choices. There’s only a small handful that are choosing between multiple great, big scholarship offers from big time D1 programs.

It’s hard to ask your 7th grader to define her college soccer dreams if she doesn’t know what the reality is. It would be great to find college players at various schools and introduce your daughter to them and have them show her what college soccer player life is like. That may not be realistic, but the main thing is to start figuring out what she wants now and aligning her club experience to those goals.

Really good post by @Mystery Train

we get very focused on D1 while the right situation for any specific kid may be quite different than D1 or Power Five. I have a family member who played her first year at an NAIA school and it was perfect for her. Lots of playing time on a squad she enjoys at a school that is right for her.

my two younger kids want to play in college but their path will not be the same as their sister. It is good to know that a lot of different avenues exist for kids to pursue their dreams.

My GK daughter signed her NLI on the 13th so we just finished the process you are starting. I agree with @Soccerfan2

I will add that the unique nature of the position means the recruiting can be approved a bit differently than with field players - nothing inconsistent with the good advice from @Soccerfan2 . While it can be VERY difficult for a field player to stand out at an ID camp, a GK can. And then the purpose is to give the coaches a good reason to want to see her again, in live action. The guest playing is really good advice for non-GDA/non-ECNL players not because the player can't show her individual ability but so she can show it against top-level competition. It can be a challenge to get that guest opportunity b/c those teams may have their own GK they want to showcase (even if your daughter is the stronger player) but hopefully your kid's coach/DOC can look at her interests and find some opportunities. (an example: my daughter plays for a club in NorCal. A couple of years ago, her DOC received a call about guesting with a pre-ECNL team from AZ (so not threat of poaching) b/c their GK had an injury. The event was in SoCal and my kid played for them. While they were about a year from the scouting window opening and b/c her team would have opportunities, the substantive impact may have been low but we were able to use the coach as a reference (in the old days of resumes), he made recs for her (so there may have been scouts her saw her because of this coach - I do think US Soccer's interest was impacted by this guy) and the experience, had her own club/team situation been different, would have been incredibly valuable)

Since she is soon to be entering the window, it does make sense to sit with the coach/DOC/GK coach to discuss how to raise her exposure - find out what they can do to help. Listen carefully b/c you need to feel confident that they understand CURRENT recruiting rules, pathways, etc. You don't want BS, you want honesty. If the coach thinks your query is about assessing a go/stay decision, he/she may try to say, "well, here's what we are going to do with THIS team . . ." But the truth is: other than some small # of tournaments, the exposure she will have with her team won't come close to comparing to GDA/ECNL. That's a sad truth. So the answers they give you have to be necessarily narrow - focused on your daughter - and not team-based. Whom will they call for guesting opps? Whom will the coaches contact among their college contacts? What ID camps should she attend? Etc. Etc. Etc. She CAN be the consummate team player and still focus on her personal goals.
Congratulations!!!! Thank you so much! You gave me some thoughts I haven't even considered. While I am talking to her coach and the GK trainer, I never even thought about the DOC. If I suggested that to my daughter she would think I was crazy and beg me to not do it. Now that you a stranger has suggested it, she will think it is a good idea. LOL Thank you!

I agree with both posters above. The answer depends on what “playing college soccer” means for her.

There’s soooo many different college soccer experiences out there, from small schools to big, junior college and NAIA, NCAA 1, 2, and 3. Does a kid have to play in ECNL or DA to play soccer in a college somewhere? Absolutely not. My daughter played with an older Flight 2 team for a season when she played “up” by two age groups as an 8th grader. Five of her teammates on that squad went on to play in college. Two play at a small NAIA school in the Midwest, one went to a great local Division 3 school, and two others went to Division 2 schools in California. They did some of the big showcases but never in the elite brackets. It was enough for them to be seen and get interest.

On the other hand, if your daughter wouldn’t be satisfied playing for a small school, local, such as Cal Ploy Pomona or Occidental, or Cal State San Marcos, or perhaps out in places like Nebraska, or Iowa, and only has the goal of playing at the highest level possible, thinking of only big D1 schools, then she probably should try to get on an ECNL or DA team.

It’s not that the quality of soccer at big D1 schools is necessarily better than at small schools, it’s that those schools’ coaches just generally shop for talent in the same few places. The smaller schools have to be more creative where they look and start looking generally later (senior year). The reason is that the number of kids who have the ability to play D1 soccer is far, far greater than the number of scholarships out there. It’s also greater than the number of roster spots available. So the small schools wait until the D1 schools finish their recruiting and gobble up the “D1” level players who still remain uncommitted. You have to figure out now what “playing in college” means for her.

Take these scenarios:
1. Recruited to play D1 at a big Pac12 school, given a small scholarship to cover books only. Being on the team is a full time job. Sits on the bench for two years, no playing time. Plays 5-6 games as a junior, but they’ve recruited two keepers, one who is a National Team level player, and she only plays again for one half of a game on senior night the next year.
2. Recruited at a medium D2 school. Small scholarship, but tuition is affordable. Plays a little here and there first two years, starts as junior and senior.
3. Goes to a junior college, full ride for two years. Starts from day one. Gets D1 offers, transfers to big D1 school and plays as #2 keeper as junior and starter as a senior.

These are VERY realistic scenarios for the exact same player, but the only one that would require playing DA or ECNL is the first one, which arguably is the least attractive scenario from a playing standpoint. By the way, the vast majority of “elite” club players face these same choices. There’s only a small handful that are choosing between multiple great, big scholarship offers from big time D1 programs.

It’s hard to ask your 7th grader to define her college soccer dreams if she doesn’t know what the reality is. It would be great to find college players at various schools and introduce your daughter to them and have them show her what college soccer player life is like. That may not be realistic, but the main thing is to start figuring out what she wants now and aligning her club experience to those goals.
I have said it before to you Mystery Train...your advice is soooo appreciated! We are not status type people and my daughter just loves being a Keeper. One possibility that you didn't mention was a D1 like Cal State Fullerton etc. They currently have a red shirt freshman playing Keeper. At this point we go to CSUF games and know a couple of girls on the CSUF team and one of her Keeper trainers was the goalkeeper at CSUF mens team so at this point that is what she desires but that is probably because that is what she knows. She wants to be an attorney and I think that is perfect for her since she has an extraordinary amount of experience arguing with me. Kidding aside, she also has the perfect demeanor for it. With that said, #3 sounds like a perfect place for her. She loves her current team but I felt like this year she needed to pull the trigger and make the effort to get on a more elite team to meet her long term goal. Because the makeup of those elite teams has been mutilated by the alphabet soup of leagues to a point that I find several flight 1 teams better than some of those so called elite teams, I question the appropriate development and the timing of the hop. Thank you so much for food for thought for her. I will share!

I have said it before to you Mystery Train...your advice is soooo appreciated! We are not status type people and my daughter just loves being a Keeper. One possibility that you didn't mention was a D1 like Cal State Fullerton etc. They currently have a red shirt freshman playing Keeper. At this point we go to CSUF games and know a couple of girls on the CSUF team and one of her Keeper trainers was the goalkeeper at CSUF mens team so at this point that is what she desires but that is probably because that is what she knows. She wants to be an attorney and I think that is perfect for her since she has an extraordinary amount of experience arguing with me. Kidding aside, she also has the perfect demeanor for it. With that said, #3 sounds like a perfect place for her. She loves her current team but I felt like this year she needed to pull the trigger and make the effort to get on a more elite team to meet her long term goal. Because the makeup of those elite teams has been mutilated by the alphabet soup of leagues to a point that I find several flight 1 teams better than some of those so called elite teams, I question the appropriate development and the timing of the hop. Thank you so much for food for thought for her. I will share!
Cal State Fullerton has a great program. I consider them to be pretty big time, since they often make the NCAA tournament. Definitely worth aiming for. Good luck to you and your keeper!

Cal State Fullerton has a great program. I consider them to be pretty big time, since they often make the NCAA tournament. Definitely worth aiming for. Good luck to you and your keeper!
So I shared your posts with my daughter at the dinner table last night. Here is how it went....do you remember how Mystery Train gave us some great advice a year ago? Yes. This is what Mystery Train said today...My daughter answers I don't know what college experience I want. Me...why the hell not...you are 13 and have had 13 years to figure it out. LOL....I didn't really say that. Joking aside...you gave her some things to contemplate or have in the back of her head for now which is what I was looking for. The #3 you posted we never even thought about. Her eyes lit up with that one. Thank you again for taking the time to answer the question!

Great responses - saved me a lot of typing in my response :) A few things to add...if she really, really wants to play college she should do 2 things. 1) start doing her homework to narrow down exactly what type of school and study she is considering. That doesn't mean pick her top 10 list, but she should know 4 basic things (size of school, location preference, academic area of interest, then lastly type of athletic program D1-NAIA or JC). 2) get on a team that can get her exposure, training, and success at the schools that she is drawn to both for soccer and academics. She may not get to the second part (a team) until she is a Freshman or older, but she will need college showcases both for visibility and playing against teams on the same track. She will also probably be on a team that has 2 keepers that split time. Some hate splitting the position, others don't. That's a whole other thread - but sum it up this way...games are split but training isn't. Having another keeper to train with, bond with, and play with is a win-win IF the two keepers are compatible and support each other (and their teammates do as well). If they are too competitive, fight for game time, or have very different playing styles, it will not be a healthy situation.

Another recommendation since she is only in 7th grade...go to Soccerplus GK training camp. College ID camps are the best when she knows which schools/programs are on her radar. But Soccerplus is the best training and GK networking option around IMHO. They have a great camp in July (has been at UCR the past couple of years) and other summer programs mostly in the midwest, south and east. My keeper knows other keepers from all over the country and will be playing both with and against them in college. Those GK relationships are priceless - no one understands being a keeper better than another keeper.

Lastly, expect burnout. Maybe your keeper is superwoman in training. But from my experience, the mental and physical wear and tear will be a factor probably around 10-11th grade. If she needs a break, give her a break. She will get through it and so will you! So much changes between 8th-10th grade - physically, socially, athletically, and mentally. She has a lot of time, and sounds like both you and her are doing all the right things now. Also consider signing up with NCSA - a recruiting service. If you aren't on a team/club that offers a lot of college information or recruiting assistance, it is definitely worth the $ IMHO. But like anything, it's a service that your kid has to 'own', not you or anyone else. She has to do the work and tap into the resources on her own. It works if you work it :) Best of luck!

Best advice.....be patient. It's a long journey! My DD was playing her first year of club in 7th grade. This was pre-ECNL and good old Cal South promotion/relegation. Things were simple. She's now a junior playing in the Big Ten. Go Blue. It's not a linear path. Lots of ups and downs along the way. Identified and invited to attend U14 NT camp in 8th grade. Broken hand with surgery playing HS soccer in 9th grade. Committed to Pac-12 school in summer after 9th grade. Had to work her way back into NT program and lots of emotional ups and downs before making U17 WC Roster in Jordan. Decommitted and recommitted with Big 10 team. Sprained MCL playing club, then broke her other hand and needed surgery. Spent time with PT and getting back in form. Out of NT cycle until worked her way back at U19. Attended a NT camp on the eve of WC for U20s and made the roster. Spent the summer in France. YAY! On the day before the start of the WC, went out to train and tore meniscus and returned immediately for surgery. Ugh! Did not get back on pitch until the women's Big Ten season. Had an ok season and played with local UWS team this season and finally got into top form to get back to school healthy and complete a great season this year ending with elimination in Round of 16 by UNC. So many ups and downs. So much is unpredictable. Made it through with a top notch GK trainer who started with her when she was young and a tremendous work ethic. As a parent, just be there to support. Things never really go according to the best laid plans. Choosing school with strong academics and support for athletes was always the goal. She made it after a long journey. Most important piece of advice.....enjoy every minute. The journey may be long, but it sure goes fast. And I miss those weekend car rides with my daughter.

Best advice.....be patient. It's a long journey! My DD was playing her first year of club in 7th grade. This was pre-ECNL and good old Cal South promotion/relegation. Things were simple. She's now a junior playing in the Big Ten. Go Blue. It's not a linear path. Lots of ups and downs along the way. Identified and invited to attend U14 NT camp in 8th grade. Broken hand with surgery playing HS soccer in 9th grade. Committed to Pac-12 school in summer after 9th grade. Had to work her way back into NT program and lots of emotional ups and downs before making U17 WC Roster in Jordan. Decommitted and recommitted with Big 10 team. Sprained MCL playing club, then broke her other hand and needed surgery. Spent time with PT and getting back in form. Out of NT cycle until worked her way back at U19. Attended a NT camp on the eve of WC for U20s and made the roster. Spent the summer in France. YAY! On the day before the start of the WC, went out to train and tore meniscus and returned immediately for surgery. Ugh! Did not get back on pitch until the women's Big Ten season. Had an ok season and played with local UWS team this season and finally got into top form to get back to school healthy and complete a great season this year ending with elimination in Round of 16 by UNC. So many ups and downs. So much is unpredictable. Made it through with a top notch GK trainer who started with her when she was young and a tremendous work ethic. As a parent, just be there to support. Things never really go according to the best laid plans. Choosing school with strong academics and support for athletes was always the goal. She made it after a long journey. Most important piece of advice.....enjoy every minute. The journey may be long, but it sure goes fast. And I miss those weekend car rides with my daughter.
Thank you so much for sharing your story! I guess I need to make sure my insurance premium is paid before my house payment. LOL I let my daughter read your comment and her comment was....we had someone famous respond! Could you please let me know what the name of the goal keeper trainer either here or private message? It is always good to have a long list of trainers.

Great responses - saved me a lot of typing in my response :) A few things to add...if she really, really wants to play college she should do 2 things. 1) start doing her homework to narrow down exactly what type of school and study she is considering. That doesn't mean pick her top 10 list, but she should know 4 basic things (size of school, location preference, academic area of interest, then lastly type of athletic program D1-NAIA or JC). 2) get on a team that can get her exposure, training, and success at the schools that she is drawn to both for soccer and academics. She may not get to the second part (a team) until she is a Freshman or older, but she will need college showcases both for visibility and playing against teams on the same track. She will also probably be on a team that has 2 keepers that split time. Some hate splitting the position, others don't. That's a whole other thread - but sum it up this way...games are split but training isn't. Having another keeper to train with, bond with, and play with is a win-win IF the two keepers are compatible and support each other (and their teammates do as well). If they are too competitive, fight for game time, or have very different playing styles, it will not be a healthy situation.

Another recommendation since she is only in 7th grade...go to Soccerplus GK training camp. College ID camps are the best when she knows which schools/programs are on her radar. But Soccerplus is the best training and GK networking option around IMHO. They have a great camp in July (has been at UCR the past couple of years) and other summer programs mostly in the midwest, south and east. My keeper knows other keepers from all over the country and will be playing both with and against them in college. Those GK relationships are priceless - no one understands being a keeper better than another keeper.

Lastly, expect burnout. Maybe your keeper is superwoman in training. But from my experience, the mental and physical wear and tear will be a factor probably around 10-11th grade. If she needs a break, give her a break. She will get through it and so will you! So much changes between 8th-10th grade - physically, socially, athletically, and mentally. She has a lot of time, and sounds like both you and her are doing all the right things now. Also consider signing up with NCSA - a recruiting service. If you aren't on a team/club that offers a lot of college information or recruiting assistance, it is definitely worth the $ IMHO. But like anything, it's a service that your kid has to 'own', not you or anyone else. She has to do the work and tap into the resources on her own. It works if you work it :) Best of luck!
My read your post and said...I don't even know what color of shirt I am going to wear and I need to figure out what schools I want to go to? LOL I really appreciated your response. We threatened to go to SoccerPlus last year but your comment ensured we need to this year. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. This thread turned out better than I expected and gave my daughter things to think about. TY

All of this!!! Great post.

Just remember most keepers are recruited at a later age, and that for development being on the best team isn't always in the best interest of a keeper. Our team has played a couple ECNL teams in the past year. They were better than our team, but my daughter had 5 times the action. You still have 3-4 years of development before the need to be recruited, so training and experience should be of the most importance.

My humble opinion is that to play for a DA & ECNL Programs is like the old saying. "When you have all the chickens in the valley, you don't have to go looking for the fox, the fox will come looking for you" meaning that the "Top" college programs will go hunting there first and not only going to games but going to their team practices as well to observe. BUUUUT..... If not wanting to play in DA or ECNL, it's no worries because Female goalkeepers are hot commodity, speaking with college coaches I have had some tell me that if they have God given height they're eye candy immediately without looking at how good they are... Sad but true for some college programs.

That being said, you can always guest play at Surf Cup with out of state teams and get looked at or attend ID Camps for what ever college your daughter would be interested in. Hope all works out for her.

Good luck to you!!! #gkunion

My humble opinion is that to play for a DA & ECNL Programs is like the old saying. "When you have all the chickens in the valley, you don't have to go looking for the fox, the fox will come looking for you" meaning that the "Top" college programs will go hunting there first and not only going to games but going to their team practices as well to observe. BUUUUT..... If not wanting to play in DA or ECNL, it's no worries because Female goalkeepers are hot commodity, speaking with college coaches I have had some tell me that if they have God given height they're eye candy immediately without looking at how good they are... Sad but true for some college programs.

That being said, you can always guest play at Surf Cup with out of state teams and get looked at or attend ID Camps for what ever college your daughter would be interested in. Hope all works out for her.

Good luck to you!!! #gkunion
Thank you so much for your input!

Back