Feeling Blues - Relegation Time

Most kids would not want to switch high schools unless there are some kind of extenuating circumstances like bullying. Kind of hard to imagine kids with that much athletic talent being bullied.

I thought the general rule here was not to discuss details of an individual minor player?

The school and/or family put out a press release. Start from there.

For reference as to admissibility, discuss the 13-year-old "professional" player in discussion recently here.

Most kids would not want to switch high schools unless there are some kind of extenuating circumstances like bullying. Kind of hard to imagine kids with that much athletic talent being bullied.
A player in our local area who is also on the U16 YNT switched from a public to private school because of her many absences related to soccer.

My second kid got 5 offers, only one of which was insufficient for us to afford the school. As it turned out, we went with the second-biggest offer (and perhaps best net) so he could go to the school he wanted. I know for a fact (because I know the parents) that two of the recruited players in his Freshman class got no money because the parents put it into their application appeal. My older son was also recruited at a California D2 school with no money, but a promise of guaranteed admission and roster spot.

Soccer is not a headcount sport where a player gets either all or nothing - it's an equivalent sport where the coach can (and usually must to have a decent roster) split the allowed 10.9 scholarships (that's the boys' number, I know the girls' is bigger) any way he wants.

So how do you know about the "money" she is getting?

Okay. First, this is women's soccer and they get more scholarships. Second, there are people who don't get money and the players know who gets money and who doesn't, they talk. Third, since you brought your kid up, my first child got more offers than I could count including to the 3 that she actually considered attending and they were all significant (I am going to have paid less for her college degree than I spent for 2.5 years of club soccer). Fourth, I never said I knew exactly how much money she was getting, I do however know for a 100% fact that she is getting money.

Rodman's daughter is athletic and a YNT player (I am being redundant). She would get plenty of money from many schools, and even more offers if she is a decent student (which she likely is -- her father may seem increasingly crazy, but he was demonstrably smart in his basketball marketing and play, and way ahead of his time). She has earned whatever offer UCLA made her.

As for your later statement, I disagree. I think many top colleges try to balance talent and need when it comes to allocating scholarship money. And some parents/players in more favorable financial positions, even very talented players, make it clear that money is not the deciding factor when it comes to marketing themselves to their child's first choice school.

I hear you but I was also told a story by a coach at a certain top 5 academic school in the state of California that he has given a full ride to a player that showed up in a Mercedes. Any school that wants a player will give them money regardless of need. If a kid earned a scholarship it has absolutely nothing to do with their ability to pay. The unicorn at that same school would be a player who is a YNT player and who had parents that made less than $60k a year combined. Now you and I have been around club enough to know that on the girl's side you would be hard pressed to find a club player who's parents fit that narrow demographic. US Soccer picks the best of who can afford to pay for club fees and private training and the rest.

You better believe that parents who have the means want their kid to get money. Now maybe they would take no money to go to Stanford but honestly if they aren't getting money and they are going to Stanford the odds of them seeing the field after their first year are minimal at best....

Okay. First, this is women's soccer and they get more scholarships. Second, there are people who don't get money and the players know who gets money and who doesn't, they talk. Third, since you brought your kid up, my first child got more offers than I could count including to the 3 that she actually considered attending and they were all significant (I am going to have paid less for her college degree than I spent for 2.5 years of club soccer). Fourth, I never said I knew exactly how much money she was getting, I do however know for a 100% fact that she is getting money.

And you know that because "they talk"?

Eagles notified they will not be invited back to GDA next year due to performance over the first two seasons (see "all in ecnl" as eagles try to spin as a positive).

Expect to see an "all in" announcement from Blues as they were also notified they would not be asked back to the GDA (not representative of US Soccer programming).

DA shortening the roster to make for a more exclusive league. Expect to see a couple more relegations.
We play with the Blues and they are steadfast in their mindset that we are playing DA this season and are not moving to ECNL exclusively. What do you know, or what you have heard, that made you make your statement? Thank you.

We play with the Blues and they are steadfast in their mindset that we are playing DA this season and are not moving to ECNL exclusively. What do you know, or what you have heard, that made you make your statement? Thank you.
I have no inside information whatsoever, but not surprised by the rumors about Blues or the original post. Word was that they were allowed to keep ECNL last year without a commitment of it being their A team at each age group because they won an ECNL national championship. While Surf had also planned to keep both, word was they were no allowed to do both because they didn't win an ENCL national championship. My understanding is that Surf found out about having to drop ECNL late, once the ECNL national championships were done in June/July. If what happened last year to Surf is true, how can Blues be steadfast in saying they are keeping both until this year's ECNL national championships are complete? Or are they telling you they will choose DA if forced to pick one? Additionally, they have not been great in DA this year, so I think DA could realistically drop them or demand that they drop ECNL in order to stay in DA. Just speculating, but the original poster's comments don't seem too far fetched to me. Has your coach committed that you will be DA and do you trust his word? Maybe they believe the partnership with FCGS will somehow allow them to keep both leagues? I'm sure parents who signed up with Surf ECNL last year were told by their coaches that it was a done deal, and then had to find a new team in the summer. Remember that last year's Blues team who planned to be DPL (2003/4 coached by Holly I believe) found out in the summer that they would not be allowed to play DPL and those girls all had to scramble to find a new team too.

Nothing! Absolutely nothing. He knows nothing which is evident by his post. He is trying to help plug a hole in the hull and bad mouthing is his way to do it. If Blues opt out of DA, it will be due to their own choosing, not US Soccer. That you can be pretty confident about.

Back