FC Golden State responsibility?

Tragic, RIP Shane.

Great kid, sad he's gone to soon.

He loved playing and his new team, honor him like his parents do instead of trying to pass around blame or judge.

It was 111 degrees… it takes. 2 weeks to acclimatize to that temp.. no excuses … FC Golden state didn’t care
Thousands of kid play in 100+ degree weather in the summer. Yes the club should have not held practices. Parents also need to make a decision if it’s too hot to practice don’t send your kid. This is not something that you can just blame the club.
If you blame the club, blame the city for allowing practices when the weather gets too hot. Blame the parents for sending their kids to practice without thinking of the consequences.
This is a horrible loss but we’ve seen kids in this same situation at 90 degree weather.

If we want change it needs to come from Insurance companies that cover the liability for youth sports No club insurance coverage when games are played in over 100 degree weather.

Thousands of kid play in 100+ degree weather in the summer. Yes the club should have not held practices. Parents also need to make a decision if it’s too hot to practice don’t send your kid. This is not something that you can just blame the club.
If you blame the club, blame the city for allowing practices when the weather gets too hot. Blame the parents for sending their kids to practice without thinking of the consequences.
This is a horrible loss but we’ve seen kids in this same situation at 90 degree weather.

If we want change it needs to come from Insurance companies that cover the liability for youth sports No club insurance coverage when games are played in over 100 degree weather.
Wrong… it is well known that children and young adults do not regulate body temperature the same way adults do.

Was the temp over 111 for two to three consecutive weeks… nope… they knew it and played anyway…

Today France and Hungry had a final… Guess what they had… water breaks… cooling breaks in the shade. No mention of the protocol was followed by FC Golden State…

Then the kid goes alone on an errand for the coach…yep… alone in 111 degree heat… not acclimated…oh well.

Blame the victim for an accident the Club had a duty to mitigate.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to follow and establish a risk matrix..

Kids life ended because the adults were lazy and worried about insurance.

Wrong… it is well known that children and young adults do not regulate body temperature the same way adults do.

Was the temp over 111 for two to three consecutive weeks… nope… they knew it and played anyway…

Today France and Hungry had a final… Guess what they had… water breaks… cooling breaks in the shade. No mention of the protocol was followed by FC Golden State…

Then the kid goes alone on an errand for the coach…yep… alone in 111 degree heat… not acclimated…oh well.

Blame the victim for an accident the Club had a duty to mitigate.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to follow and establish a risk matrix..

Kids life ended because the adults were lazy and worried about insurance.

One thing is still not clear to me -- who is blaming the victim?

Kids die every year from heat stroke. Parents put their trust in clubs to make the right decisions, and that trust can often be misplaced. It's regularly 100 degrees at Norco, and the artificial fields will melt cleats. Water breaks should be required at all matches above 80 degrees, and parents should worry less about their kid letting down their team than letting their kid get hyperthermia playing in another meaningless tournament.

A few tips:
  • Heat stroke typically occurs the day AFTER the athlete complains about symptoms, so tournaments are especially dangerous.
  • Heat stroke can occur at any temperature above 80 degrees, depending on exertion levels and hydration
  • Athletes in the heat can sweat 1-2 L an hour, and most athletes drink less than they sweat. The result is dehydration. Dehydration increases heart rate and decreases cardiac output.
  • Early warning signs of impending heat stroke may include irritability, confusion, apathy, belligerence, emotional instability, or irrational behavior. The coach may be the first to note that a player, heating up, can no longer think clearly. Giddiness, undue fatigue, and vomiting can also be early signs. Paradoxical chills and goose bumps signal shutdown of skin circulation, portending a faster rise in temperature. The player may hyperventilate — just as a dog pants — to shed heat; this can cause tingling fingers as a prelude to collapse. Incoordination and staggering — "running like a puppet on a string"— are late signs, followed by collapse with seizure and/or coma.
  • In heat stroke, every minute counts. Field treatment is fast cooling. No faster way to cool exists than dumping the athlete into an ice-water tub. Submerge the trunk — shoulders to hip joints. Research suggests ice-water immersion cools runners twice as fast as air exposure while wrapped in wet towels.

I am less interested in blame than change.

Does anyone have a hot day protocol they are proud of? Standards for when to cancel practice, when to require water breaks, and so on... Something others can copy.

The problem is there is no known protocol (at least as I know) that leagues have for training that the teams have to follow. Something like if it's over 90 degrees at the start of practice, there needs to be a water break every 30 minutes and to provide shade. Same thing when it rains, most teams will not practice in the pouring rain but my daughter's old coach did (of course, he's from England so.....). Also, if leagues did have a weather training protocol, if would most likely differ between leagues like CSL, ECNL, SCDSL/SoCal, etc.
Even when I was in the Marines, if it was a "black flag" day which was when the temperature was above 90 degrees, all physical training, strenuous exercise, and company/battalion hikes were suspended. And all the branches of the military followed that weather flag conditions. Now, do all units follow this, of course not. But if someone died during a hike in black flag conditions, a lot of leaders will be responsible because they did not follow protocol. So what I'm saying is that all the leagues need to get together and put something in place for every club so this will not happen again.

The problem is there is no known protocol (at least as I know) that leagues have for training that the teams have to follow. Something like if it's over 90 degrees at the start of practice, there needs to be a water break every 30 minutes and to provide shade. Same thing when it rains, most teams will not practice in the pouring rain but my daughter's old coach did (of course, he's from England so.....). Also, if leagues did have a weather training protocol, if would most likely differ between leagues like CSL, ECNL, SCDSL/SoCal, etc.
Even when I was in the Marines, if it was a "black flag" day which was when the temperature was above 90 degrees, all physical training, strenuous exercise, and company/battalion hikes were suspended. And all the branches of the military followed that weather flag conditions. Now, do all units follow this, of course not. But if someone died during a hike in black flag conditions, a lot of leaders will be responsible because they did not follow protocol. So what I'm saying is that all the leagues need to get together and put something in place for every club so this will not happen again.
Exactly… the adults were in charge… people who supposedly knew better … FC Golden State leaders…this was preventable… was not accidental.. a series of events led to his death… and the adults are the root cause.

Back