Fall 2021 SoCal Flight 1 Brackets

You may be right that it wouldn't make to much of a difference playing up. The bigger issue is that there are 45 flight 1 teams. And this doesn't include CSL. I know there is no easy way to do this, but if it were held to 20 teams it would probably be better for everyone. Except those parents who want to brag about their kid playing flight 1 with no mention of the 0-17 score line.
0-17 Scores show the club where they need to improve or just quit and have the teams play rec.

Agree there are way too many teams in flight 1, but the blues coach feeling the need to rub the other teams nose it with a 0-17 win seems like a complete scumbag. A score of half that would have sent the message loud and clear.
I haven't looked at how Socal determines league standing. If it's purely on PF (goals) with no limit per game they might have created a situation where Blues are forced/incentivized to score as many goals as possible against not so good teams.

I haven't looked at how Socal determines league standing. If it's purely on PF (goals) with no limit per game they might have created a situation where Blues are forced/incentivized to score as many goals as possible against not so good teams.
They don't keep standings for 9v9.
I know some of the youngers Blues coaches like to get a big first half lead then put parameters in place that will keep the score more reasonable. For instance everyone on the field needs to touch the ball before scoring, or two touch only, or score only with your off foot...the list goes on and on. Evidently AR is not one of those coaches. I'm not sure what is worse. Losing by 17 or have a team up 10 then just toy with you. Either way, it's a bad situation all around.

I know some of the youngers Blues coaches like to get a big first half lead then put parameters in place that will keep the score more reasonable. For instance everyone on the field needs to touch the ball before scoring, or two touch only, or score only with your off foot...the list goes on and on. Evidently AR is not one of those coaches. I'm not sure what is worse. Losing by 17 or have a team up 10 then just toy with you. Either way, it's a bad situation all around.
Was this a brand new team that said “hey let’s play flight 1”? There should be a qualification process.

Was this a brand new team that said “hey let’s play flight 1”? There should be a qualification process.
No, they were flight 2 pre-Covid and made it out of pool play in the 2020 state cup. They’ve been active with scrimmages and not so much on the summer tournament circuit. They have a YSR score around 26 (like most low end F1/High End F2 teams) so they were projected to lose by 5, not 17 based off those standings.

I would suspect that next year we shouldn’t run into this with teams going ECNL/RL, Discovery, NPL and etc. I also agree there should be an inbetween league to separate upper echelon teams from flight 1 teams who are high flight 2 or low flight 1 making the leap to flight 1.

I heard AR was not there. It was another coach who coached that day. From what I hear AR would not have allowed them to run up the score that high. And on top of that I heard they played with the big 11v11 size goals.

I heard AR was not there. It was another coach who coached that day. From what I hear AR would not have allowed them to run up the score that high. And on top of that I heard they played with the big 11v11 size goals.

Who says he wasn’t there? His ecnl team wasn’t playing Saturday……

Standings 1/3rd into the season with points breakout. Some teams have only played 3 games and will have a heavier load towards the end of the season, others are front heavy with maybe 1-2 games in 2022. Blues is the only team who has shut every team out so far.

1633483234515.png

Standings 1/3rd into the season with points breakout. Some teams have only played 3 games and will have a heavier load towards the end of the season, others are front heavy with maybe 1-2 games in 2022. Blues is the only team who has shut every team out so far.

View attachment 11832
So cool that we finally have this kind of data.

Unfortunate that next year theres going to be an ECNL/GA split and we'll have to go back to rankings etc.

At least Socal is a step in the right direction + a glimpse into what the olders should be like as well.

You will not see sporting CA as well as Real SoCal now LAFC ECNL / ECRL who are both playing in the F2 09 bracket.

View attachment 11832
This is awesome, thank you!!!! Keep the updates coming as the season progresses.

A few things that jumped out at me:
- The east seems to be the only competitive division. The top teams in the other divisions are undefeated with 120-9 scoreline - average 6 goal victory
- Somebody on here said a bunch of the Albion team left? It seems like they're playing pretty well so far.
- Blues, Surf, Ole, Slammers are always mentioned as top teams, but should Beach be in that group also? I haven't seen them play, but they look very impressive based on their scores.
- 2nd Slammers team is 5/6 shutouts, only giving up goals to the Blues. It seems like there is some real depth in that program, which makes sense since they have 2 ECNL teams.

Back