Face Coverings required for Soccer Practice?

tjsoccer

BRONZE
Did anyone else get an email from their club that said that their child must wear a face covering while practicing? I guess it comes from the guidance from the State.
"Participants in youth and adults sports should wear face coverings when participating in the activity, even with heavy exertion as tolerated, both indoors and outdoors (unless the face covering could become a hazard), and face coverings must be worn when not participating in the activity (e.g., on the sidelines).1 "

Since it is on the State web page, are all CA youth sports required to wear masks, or is this something a club may choose to follow as a "best practice"? Are there consequences for not complying? Is this something that all clubs are doing, or is it being driven internally in certain clubs by membership?

I don't see how a child can have much fun running around with a mask on their face. Not hard to know what to do, just wish we didn't have to pay the monthly fee while our kids are doing other things!

Did anyone else get an email from their club that said that their child must wear a face covering while practicing? I guess it comes from the guidance from the State.
"Participants in youth and adults sports should wear face coverings when participating in the activity, even with heavy exertion as tolerated, both indoors and outdoors (unless the face covering could become a hazard), and face coverings must be worn when not participating in the activity (e.g., on the sidelines).1 "

Since it is on the State web page, are all CA youth sports required to wear masks, or is this something a club may choose to follow as a "best practice"? Are there consequences for not complying? Is this something that all clubs are doing, or is it being driven internally in certain clubs by membership?

I don't see how a child can have much fun running around with a mask on their face. Not hard to know what to do, just wish we didn't have to pay the monthly fee while our kids are doing other things!
Placer sent an email today reminding players to continue to follow protocols such as wearing masks to and from the fields but nothing about wearing masks while practicing.

Placer sent an email today reminding players to continue to follow protocols such as wearing masks to and from the fields but nothing about wearing masks while practicing.
Some clubs are requiring masks at all times. it seems that clubs or counties are interpreting the guidelines differently.

Even the item below was not taken seriously by all clubs and there seems to be no enforcement mechanism so it seems to not matter what the guidelines say.
  • Teams must not participate in out-of-state tournaments; several multistate outbreaks have been reported in CA residents and around the nation.

The guidance is ‘must’ for those not participating and ‘should’ for players.... as for the club/team it seems open to interpretation as written.

The guidance is ‘must’ for those not participating and ‘should’ for players.... as for the club/team it seems open to interpretation as written.
Some interpret this as what is meant by should "(unless the face covering could become a hazard)".

The fact that it is open to interpretation is an indication that the guidance is poorly written in this area.

We practiced with kids wearing masks and only taking them off for water breaks. U11. I think it helped put some parents’ minds at ease with allowing their kids to come out. The kids adapt fast and it didn’t seem to be a problem. It helps we are not in a hot area and we practice after the sun has gone down. With no competitions or games coming up, we didn’t have a reason to go all out during practices anyways.

Our club is requiring masks at all times, citing that it was part of their agreement with the organizations that are hosting us on their fields.

Thanks for the feedback. After learning more, I guess this has more to do with the club's membership and concerns about the relationship with the community. It isn't a State mandate. Volunteer club BOD's are dealing with a whole lot more than what they signed up for.

Same with my daughter's club. it is recommended not mandatory.

Back