Exotic Cars

Dominic

DA
Staff member
What is the most exotic car you own or have driven in? Pics is a plus!

For us rednecks, yes it does.
Those where cars that were owned by friends that I took out a few times. Fun and powerful cars. Almost scary. Personally I have owned a 2004 VW Toureg V8 with AllMotion. That was a beast. Very close in engine specs/output and performance to the first Porsche Cayenne. Also had a twin turbo V6 Audi Allroad. This was my favorite car. Currently I have a Tesla Model 3. Very fun too.

Those where cars that were owned by friends that I took out a few times. Fun and powerful cars. Almost scary. Personally I have owned a 2004 VW Toureg V8 with AllMotion. That was a beast. Very close in engine specs/output and performance to the first Porsche Cayenne. Also had a twin turbo V6 Audi Allroad. This was my favorite car. Currently I have a Tesla Model 3. Very fun too.
Electric is the wave of the future and the Teslas are incredibly fast. But try driving from CA to AZ for a soccer tournament in an electric. I will take my 6.4 liter V8 American made HEMI every day.

Electric is the wave of the future and the Teslas are incredibly fast. But try driving from CA to AZ for a soccer tournament in an electric. I will take my 6.4 liter V8 American made HEMI every day.
Totally agree. I considered it for both an AZ and NV trip for games. It’s very difficult and increases travel time. That’s why I took my wife’s vehicle. :D But, it’s great for our driving to OC and SD. This may sound crazy but I almost think gas stations should consider having a few charging stations on site.

Totally agree. I considered it for both an AZ and NV trip for games. It’s very difficult and increases travel time. That’s why I took my wife’s vehicle. :D But, it’s great for our driving to OC and SD. This may sound crazy but I almost think gas stations should consider having a few charging stations on site.
They will as they start losing business. We are one battery breakthrough away from gas stations starting to disappear. Most families have more than one vehicle, soon at least one of them will be an EV.

Back on topic. How about a 65 Corvair with a 350 small block sporting a six pack hooked up to a ZF transaxle out of a Pantera? That car was such a sleeper. It was very difficult to break the rear tires loose. The only two vehicles I have personally driven that would out accelerate that car were a Tesla S and an old Yamaha YZ 490.

We have the electric mustang, which I think is more fun than the Tesla I drove (friend's), and definitely more fun than the first mustang I owned long ago. Its range is 310 miles, and I have done long road trips with it. When we did need to charge, we'd stop at chargers by restaurants. Plug in, take a pit stop, grab some food, - no inconvenience at all really. Normally we just charge it at night in our garage.

We have the electric mustang, which I think is more fun than the Tesla I drove (friend's), and definitely more fun than the first mustang I owned long ago. Its range is 310 miles, and I have done long road trips with it. When we did need to charge, we'd stop at chargers by restaurants. Plug in, take a pit stop, grab some food, - no inconvenience at all really. Normally we just charge it at night in our garage.
How long does it take you to recharge? I can refill my tank and be back on the road in under 10 minutes.
I acknowledge that electric cars are the wave of the future, it just isn't here quite yet. And at some point we as a country need to have an honest conversation about how we are producing the energy needed to charge electric cars.

And at some point we as a country need to have an honest conversation about how we are producing the energy needed to charge electric cars.
THIS^^^^

The vast majority of our energy plants use some form of fossil fuels.

To convert to electric vehicles in large numbers, we need to build many more of those type of plants.

That is why the term "long tailpipe" comes about. The electric vehicles themselves don't emit, but the power plants that produce the electricity sure do.

THIS^^^^

The vast majority of our energy plants use some form of fossil fuels.

To convert to electric vehicles in large numbers, we need to build many more of those type of plants.

That is why the term "long tailpipe" comes about. The electric vehicles themselves don't emit, but the power plants that produce the electricity sure do.

Definitely. We need comprehensive plans to move as quickly as possible to greener energy systems overall. In the meantime, my electric pony is a blast to drive, and it's engine is more efficient than gas based combustion. Electric cars aren't perfect of course.

How long does it take you to recharge? I can refill my tank and be back on the road in under 10 minutes.
I acknowledge that electric cars are the wave of the future, it just isn't here quite yet. And at some point we as a country need to have an honest conversation about how we are producing the energy needed to charge electric cars.

The longest time it took to charge on an electrify america fast charger was about 40 min? We'd run the battery down quite low and needed it to be back up to 80%. I had a delicious coffee and breakfast; the car was done before we got back.

If I'm not going on a long road trip overnight, I haven't needed to visit fast chargers because it is done charging well before I wake up in the morning. We don't often drive more than 300 miles in a day in socal.

There is definitely more planning involved when road tripping with an EV. Add about an hour drive time from Phoenix to San Diego when driving an EV. There is also more vehicle management to figure out (climate control, speed, etc). Certainly a different take on driving.

Most people I know don't drive an EV because of their concern for the environment. It wasn't a criteria for us. They are fun to drive. Even the model 3 SR+ will blow the doors off of most performance production cars. 0-60 is fun but 40-70 in an electric car is something that can't be replicated in an ICE vehicle. Some people don't like how quiet EVs are and I get that. Something to be said about the music that a 700HP Hellcat puts out. Tesla has addressed that by downloading sound to their cars.

Plenty of videos on youtube showing Model S, Plaid, Model 3 blowing the doors off of (insert high horsepower super car name here). Going to the track and watching Teslas race is like watching cars of the future racing cars of the 1930s.

Back