Espola's newest neighborhood

How long did it take to accumulate that? All personal or are you dumpster diving?

Last recycling trip was Jan 2. This trip was to clean out the CRV barrels in the back of my pickup in preparation for its repair and/or sale. It turns out that with the back seats down in my new little car everything fit (2 30-gallon trash cans and a few trash bags) I could have got a lot more in if I had been better organized.

Most of it is ours, but I pick up CRV aluminum that is right in my path (I respect the priority rights of the urban aluminum miners and leave the trash cans alone) and pick CRV containers our of the condo common bins if I see then (but I don't go looking for them).

Driving home from the bus stop yesterday, I got a Low Fuel warning on my car information display. I knew that San Diego area gas prices are generally coming down (according to gasbuddy.com), so I stopped and got $5 worth at the Arco on the corner I had to pass anyway, even though the price there has gone up to $3.459/gallon.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I drove by the Arco on the corner yesterday - 87 octane is down to $3.379/gallon. I had to confirm the price at gasbuddy.com.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I drove by the Arco on the corner yesterday - 87 octane is down to $3.379/gallon. I had to confirm the price at gasbuddy.com.

Interesting to hear you use the lower grade gasoline E. I've always been curious is the higher octane gases higher cost is made up in better mpg and less wear on the engine...

Interesting to hear you use the lower grade gasoline E. I've always been curious is the higher octane gases higher cost is made up in better mpg and less wear on the engine...

I did a months-long experiment to figure this out several years ago. My unscientific result is that you get a little better mileage with 91 over 87, but not enough to make up the difference in price. My wife's cars over the years (three MBs and now an Acura) require 91 (the Acura has a turbo booster) and will complain if the engine computer thinks you are cheating with the cheap stuff.

Before cars had engine computers, using lower-quality fuel risked damage to the moving parts because of pre-ignition (the fuel/air mixture started burning while the piston was still compressing it). The original meaning of "octane" was how well the fuel mix worked in pre-ignition tests compared to pure iso-octane (8 carbon atoms in a line with two hydrogen atoms attached to each carbon, plus a hydrogen atom at each end). But that was in the days when fuel was mixed by aspiration in a carburetor and spark timing was set by rotating the distributor until the engine ran just right and them clamping it in position with a screwdriver. Pure octane didn't burn as quickly as the cheaper stuff used in the mix called "gasoline" (originally a waste product that refineries had to find a use for after making kerosene, paraffin, and road tar - any that could not be consumed in the refinery making heat for internal processes was just dumped in lakes or streams, or burned in open pits) so 100 Octane was seen as some unattainable perfection - until the oil companies found out what a difference a pinch of lead would make. In modern cars, the engine computer is required by law to meet emission and efficiency standards, and those little chips figure out how to run the engine correctly by adjusting fuel injection quantity and ignition timing and reading sensors embedded in critical points.

Anyone traveling north or south on I-5 to or from NorCal the next few weeks should bear in mind that the intersection with SR46 at Lost Hills and most of the road between the half-dozen gas stations there (who all compete to have the best prices posted 100 feet in the air, except for one that is mysteriously about $1 more a gallon) is torn up and blocked off into detours to streets I didn't even know existed. And it doesn't show anything about that on the Caltrans road conditions report.

Anyone traveling north or south on I-5 to or from NorCal the next few weeks should bear in mind that the intersection with SR46 at Lost Hills and most of the road between the half-dozen gas stations there (who all compete to have the best prices posted 100 feet in the air, except for one that is mysteriously about $1 more a gallon) is torn up and blocked off into detours to streets I didn't even know existed. And it doesn't show anything about that on the Caltrans road conditions report.

All I could find --

https://www.bakersfield.com/highway-widening-project/pdf_3dbc7e79-5ec2-50ad-9d48-194012b12aef.html

Fun with neurologists --

Today during my exam (DMV requires a Doctor's statement at least one more time to keep my driving license) the Doc said "repeat these three words back to me -- blue apple dog". I got them all. After he checked me all over and asked about my left foot disability (they lied about there being no needles, but it was just pokes with a safety pin screening for numbness) he asked me to repeat the words again. I said "red pear cat", and then, after he gave me The Look, "blue apple dog".

Fun with neurologists --

Today during my exam (DMV requires a Doctor's statement at least one more time to keep my driving license) the Doc said "repeat these three words back to me -- blue apple dog". I got them all. After he checked me all over and asked about my left foot disability (they lied about there being no needles, but it was just pokes with a safety pin screening for numbness) he asked me to repeat the words again. I said "red pear cat", and then, after he gave me The Look, "blue apple dog".
Such the rebel.

QUOTE="espola, post: 280426, member: 3"

Last recycling trip was Jan 2.
This trip was to clean out the CRV barrels in the
back of my pickup in preparation for its repair and/or sale.
It turns out that with the back seats down in my new little
car everything fit (2 30-gallon trash cans and a few trash bags)
I could have got a lot more in if I had been better organized.

Most of it is ours, but I pick up CRV aluminum that is right
in my path

(I respect the priority ( property ) rights of the urban aluminum
miners and leave the trash cans alone) and pick CRV containers
our of the condo common bins if I see then
(but I don't go looking for them).

Except those of the Golf Course you pillaged/plundered....

/QUOTE

1H-2T.jpg

This answers some of the questions I had about the dive boat disaster -- only one way out of the bunk room and it leads to the galley.

I count 13 double bunks, 19 singles (not counting the one reserved for crew), mostly in stacks 2 or 3 high. I assume there is berthing for most of the crew on the upper decks or engine room closer to their work areas.

conception-bunk-layout.png

This answers some of the questions I had about the dive boat disaster -- only one way out of the bunk room and it leads to the galley.

I count 13 double bunks, 19 singles (not counting the one reserved for crew), mostly in stacks 2 or 3 high. I assume there is berthing for most of the crew on the upper decks or engine room closer to their work areas.

conception-bunk-layout.png
What happened to the captain going down with the ship if he had to?

QUOTE="espola, post: 285784, member: 3"

And an interior picture --

attachment.php

/QUOTE

Looks VERY spacious if you ask me.....

So how did the fire/explosion come about.....

AND...they had an emergency escape exit to the rear...

What happened to the captain going down
with the ship if he had to?

A better question is :

Why didn't he/they activate the " Modern Fire Suppression System "
that was on the boat....or ....why didn't it work.
Everything points to a massive explosion/inferno ....this just doesn't
pass the smell test at all.
The boat had passed all the current regulations, just as it's sister ship had
that is still sitting in the dock.

Gathering bits of info from various news reports --

-The boat had a fire suppression system, as required by Coast Guard regulation, but it only covered the engine room aft of the bunkroom.
-The galley had a propane stove and oven. It's not clear what kind of space heaters the boat had.
-There was only one exit from the bunkroom - up the stairs into the galley and main salon.

Fact --
-Propane is denser than air.

Conjecture - a propane leak in the galley filled the bunk room with propane vapor, which was ignited by a random spark. At that point, everyone is doomed - those not already asphyxiated by the propane would be burned in their bunks before they could get out.

Back