Espola's newest neighborhood

Since it is the anniversary of the Titanic's sinking, I saw someone posted a bad joke about it on FB.

The Titanic was built so well that even 100+ years later its swimming pool is still full of water.

Rereading the book Life on Man by Rosebury today, I came upon a reference to the shortest rhyming, scanning poem ever written. The title is "Fleas", subtitled "an ode to the origins of the genus siphonaptera" and its entire contents are --

Adam
Had 'em

On April 15, the traditional Tax Day (although it is delayed by various laws and regulations to April 18 or 19 this year depending on which state you live in) we got a letter from the IRS stating that they had received our January letter disputing their claim for additional taxes owed on our 2017 income, but that they didn't have time to look into it now. That's ok, take your time.

Finishing off the remnants of Saturday's rack of lamb and Sunday's prime rib roast reinforces my opinion that the best meat is next to the bone (especially in the leftovers).

Since I am retired and my wife is still an active realtor, she is responsible for getting our taxes done. Today she extracted a big chunk out of my credit union account to make our payment, Tonight she won more than that at the Indian Bingo parlor. So tomorrow I'll be putting the money back in even before the IRS can lay their hooks on their payment.

Since I am retired and my wife is still an active realtor, she is responsible for getting our taxes done. Today she extracted a big chunk out of my credit union account to make our payment, Tonight she won more than that at the Indian Bingo parlor. So tomorrow I'll be putting the money back in even before the IRS can lay their hooks on their payment.
“Indian”? . . . and they were here long before the rest of us.

There is a big slug of irony in the fact that the Earth Fair in Balboa Park always causes a huge traffic jam on Park Boulevard.

"You should have taken the bus."
"I did take the bus, but it was stuck in the traffic"

MTS ran a special Balboa Park shuttle between City College and the Route 7 stops in Balboa park, looping around at the Zoo entrance.

First stop was the Sierra Nevada beer garden (all drinks $6) where I had a long talk with a musician who had already finished his set. He and his wife were both from Vermont, so we had a long talk about that.

I stopped to chat with a lot of political groups. I asked the NORML guys what they did when they realized that had won. I stopped at a vegan tent and told them I was a cheeseburger giuy, so what was their best alternative? The best we could come up with was a Miracle Burger with vegan mayonnaise.

Last edited:
There is a big slug of irony in the fact that the Earth Fair in Balboa Park always causes a huge traffic jam on Park Boulevard.

"You should have taken the bus."
"I did take the bus, but it was stuck in the traffic/"

MTS ran a special Balboa Park shuttle between City College and the Route 7 stops in Balboa park, looping around at the Zoo entrance.

Firss top was the Sierra Nevada beer garden (all drinks $6) where I had a long talk with a musician who had already finished his set. He and his wife were both from Vermont, so we had along talk about that.

I stopped to chat with a lot of political groups. I asked the NORML guys what they did when they realized that had won. I stopped at a vegan tent and told them I was a cheeseburger giuy, so what was their best alternative? The best we could come up with was a Miracle Burger with vegan mayonnaise.
Certainly some pie in the sky aspiration’s going on there despite the obvious hypocrisy’s. This planet will be uninhabitable for humans long before most Americans ride their bike to work, stop eating animals and become more like Vietnam (although business interests are always pushing for Vietnam type wages). Barefoot in the park is a one day thing in America and only for the hopeless romantics.

If you see a red light ahead, speed up to about .28c and it will appear to be green (but not to the traffic cop standing still with respect to the light (but he's going too slow and will never catch you anyway))

Had to go to Oceanside today because my wife had Amtrak problems. While walking around the neighborhood, I noticed that the Burger King at the Transit Center has closed down, as has Ruby's restaurant out on the pier.

"La plus c'est change..." -- also, the former Fry's building in San Marcos is now a Costco. I didn't stop and go in to see if they had preserved the big fish tanks and Jacob's ladders.

Back