Espola's newest neighborhood

The news says that the Navy will scrap the Bon Homme Richard amphibious carrier because it will cost too much to repair the damage from the 4-day fire last summer. The first story was that a lot of flammable junk had been stored in an area intended to carry amphibious vehicles in normal operations caught fire when no one was working in the area, and that the shipboard fire-fighting systems had been disconnected while they were being upgraded as part of the shipyard work.

Also in the news are hints that the NCIS is investigating a sailor for arson. NCIS always looks so good on their TV show but not so good in real life. When I was in the Navy, we had a few NIS (as they were called at that time) snoops running around the base. The feeling I heard expressed at that time was that an NIS agent couldn't find his own ass with both hands in his back pockets, a feeling that was borne out in their attempt to blame the USS Iowa explosion on some sailors who had been killed. I guess they felt that no one would find out about the unauthorized gunnery experiments and the use of defective ammunition.

Not just NCIS, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives was also involved in questioning a sailor as reported by AP months ago.

Not sure if it means anything, but multi-agency collaboration does imply some unreported details.

Not just NCIS, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives was also involved in questioning a sailor as reported by AP months ago.

Not sure if it means anything, but multi-agency collaboration does imply some unreported details.

I'm dying to hear the details. The Navy tried everything they could to cover up what happened on the Iowa, right down to washing down the turret before they returned to port thus destroying any hope of a thorough forensic exam. Then they brought in Navy chemists who found "incriminating evidence" that turned out to actually be Brasso residue.

I'm dying to hear the details. The Navy tried everything they could to cover up what happened on the Iowa, right down to washing down the turret before they returned to port thus destroying any hope of a thorough forensic exam. Then they brought in Navy chemists who found "incriminating evidence" that turned out to actually be Brasso residue.

No new news reports on the fire/investigation. Inquiring minds want to know more.

Good analysis of Kobe Bryant crash. Declared a minor emergency requiring IFR, but then apparently ignored his instruments.

I read about a similar test with $10 wine, $20 and $200. Most people picked the $25 as the best.

My daughter sent me this as a birthday gift. One of her buddies from college recorded and edited it (and was the secret pourer).

As I said in the video, I couldn't taste enough difference between them to justify the prices.

I used to participate in a monthly or so wine tasting where everyone would bring a bottle of whatever the theme was that month and we would all get to compare them. Some of those were really bad (at least to my taste), none were the magic elixir I had been hoping for.

This could get interesting. I can imagine some FREEDUMB! advocates refusing to get on the scale ==

Because of my contesting health challenges, my weight varies over about a 40-pound range. If they ask me my weight at the gate I could honestly tell them that I really don't know.

Being still of sound mind and acceptable vision, I signed up as a volunteer transcriber of old letters. My first effort was to identify the catalog # of the Cuban postage stamps on an envelope sent from Martha Gellhorn Hemingway to Hemingway's mother (#170 1940 Centenario del Premier Sello Postal). Then I reviewed a transcription of a Civil War letter home and researched General Prim of Spain, who had visited Union troop positions near Washington, and who was mentioned in the letter.

Those are both in the Middlebury College collection.

Safety suggestions for using Roundup in your yard to kill off a persistent weed, shrub, or tree,

1. Hire someone else to do it. This avoids any direct exposure to the stuff or its fumes, not even during a trip to the store to buy it.

2. After the target organism has been removed, sell the house.

3. Move to another town.

I’m not sure if it’s the same for you, but every time I’ve overworked my back it was something that I could do without issue just a few years ago.

It was a 20-lb sack of potting soil. I used to carry 80-lb kids upstairs (but they were co-operating).

Back