Espola's newest neighborhood

Me and baseball sign stealing --

Our local Pony League (players aged a year or two out of Little League, or as we called because we were unaffiliated with the national LL organization, Peanut League) figured out the signs being given by an opposing coach, He wasn't very good at it - for a steal sign, he just made a big "S" motion across his chest with one hand.

Our high school team noticed that an opposing catcher was giving signs to his pitcher with his hand held low enough that we could see them from our bench. We started cheering for our batters with first name for fastball and last name for curve. Our big Babe Ruth lookalike slugger said he didn't want to know because he couldn't hit a curve anyway (that's the point, dummy).

Sorta related to that - the high school yearbook baseball team picture had to be retaken because a couple of the Seniors were displaying the Hawaiian Good Luck Sign.

When I first heard about the Astros banging a trash can as a signal for an off-speed pitch, my first thought was that they should be able to afford something more subtle. The news this week showed that they were - a wireless buzzer worn under the jersey.

I remember when we worried about bandwidth and storage space. Now Amazon includes a picture of your package by the front door in its tracking tool.

1579750255058.png

When the latest "upgrade" to this website occurred some time ago, I complained about some information paths going dark. By accident I found a way around this - click Members, then your name, then your name in the little box, and then a page shows up with Latest Activity and Postings tabs.

In the "I grew up in Vermont" Facebook page someone posted a picture of the remnants of the East Haven cold-war-era radar towers, up near the
Canadian Border.

1588174449122.png

That inspired me to write a little verse based on Arlo' Guthrie's "Coming into Los Angeles"

Watching out for Russians coming over the pole
Flying in their big jet bombers
Radar hopes to pick them up as they come down
Trying to ruin everyone's summers

Heading down to Los Angeles
Hauling something worse than disease
Don't let them pass if you please
Mister Air Force man

I tried to find a good karaoke version of Arlo's song, but the ones I found online suppress the melody along with the voice, leaving only the rhythm and percussion, so here is Arlo's original - you can sing along with the new words to the first verse.

In the "I grew up in Vermont" Facebook page someone posted a picture of the remnants of the East Haven cold-war-era radar towers, up near the
Canadian Border.

View attachment 6997

That inspired me to write a little verse based on Arlo' Guthrie's "Coming into Los Angeles"

Watching out for Russians coming over the pole
Flying in their big jet bombers
Radar hopes to pick them up as they come down
Trying to ruin everyone's summers

Heading down to Los Angeles
Hauling something worse than disease
Don't let them pass if you please
Mister Air Force man

I tried to find a good karaoke version of Arlo's song, but the ones I found online suppress the melody along with the voice, leaving only the rhythm and percussion, so here is Arlo's original - you can sing along with the new words to the first verse.

A. You suck at lyrics..
B. You are on the edge of copyright infringement. ( Theft )
C. Your " Hero " had a Communist dad....

Somethings don't change......

DEMOCRATS = CRIMINALS

I'm drinking Mexican beer and eating sushi purchased at a German grocery chain watching an American space launch by a company founded by a South African.

My summer superpower has returned - I am able to improve the flavor of meats and some vegetables using nothing other than the materials found on my patio.

While most of the people with whom I communicate on this forum could be comfortably seated in my living room without bringing in the patio chairs, my recent Memorial Day postings on Facebook identical to the ones I posted here have brought contact with hundreds in reactions, comments, and shares. I also got a friend request from a family member of another of the sailors lost with my cousin on the USS Grayback. She seems to be an unofficial historian of the sub.

Back