ECRL - what does this mean?

I know that ECNL is "Elite Club National League" and that ECRL is "Elite Club Regional League", but what does that mean exactly? I'm guessing it means ECRL doesn't travel as far. Is that right? If so, what does that mean for the level of competition? Is it just as good as ECNL, but limited to teams in the region? Or is it a step below?

Is ECRL basically meant to be the equivalent of DPL to DA, meaning, can a player on an ECRL team guest on an ECNL team for their same club? Is the goal that ECRL players will train to eventually be promoted to ECNL?

ECNL-1st team
ECRL-2nd team
In our case.

Does anyone on the 2nd team ever get a chance to be moved up to the 1st team? Or is it pretty rare?

Also, does that mean that both 1st and 2nd travel equally? Or does one travel less than the other?

What about showcases? Does the 2nd team ever get to go? Or do they have to make the 1st team to be "seen" in that way?

Thanks again! This is obviously all new to me!

Does anyone on the 2nd team ever get a chance to be moved up to the 1st team? Or is it pretty rare?

Also, does that mean that both 1st and 2nd travel equally? Or does one travel less than the other?

What about showcases? Does the 2nd team ever get to go? Or do they have to make the 1st team to be "seen" in that way?

Thanks again! This is obviously all new to me!
Good questions. Will there be relegation at the end of the season with some ECNL moving down and ECRL moving up?

I know that ECNL is "Elite Club National League" and that ECRL is "Elite Club Regional League", but what does that mean exactly? I'm guessing it means ECRL doesn't travel as far. Is that right? If so, what does that mean for the level of competition? Is it just as good as ECNL, but limited to teams in the region? Or is it a step below?

Is ECRL basically meant to be the equivalent of DPL to DA, meaning, can a player on an ECRL team guest on an ECNL team for their same club? Is the goal that ECRL players will train to eventually be promoted to ECNL?
From my kid's experience (two data points: B team at one club, then A team at another club), there was next to zero interaction between the A and the B teams unless there were significant injuries. I personally would not place any value on any suggestion of a more direct path to the A team. I think as in life, you are usually worth more to your competitor and can always get a bigger promotion/raise from another employer. :). Having said that, I'm guessing your kid is a keeper and the dynamics for keepers might be completely different if the main team does not carry multiple full-time keepers. You might want to ask someone in the GK forum. There are some very helpful parents there.

Last year (2019-20) ECRL did not include an Arizona team, but has a Nevada team. I don't think they played as many games either.

However, this coming year an Arizona team is included. ECNL team plays home/away, but I'm not sure about ECRL since there will be 17 teams. You might get lucky and get the Arizona team at home if it's not a home/away structure.

Someone posted earlier that the winners of the ECRL divisions get to play in ECNL's 4th tier playoffs Open Cup. Other than that, I haven't seen anything on showcases.

Best of luck.

From what I have been told clubs are selling their ECRL players on the idea of a "player pool" where girls will move between the ECNL and ECRL teams.

From what I have been told clubs are selling their ECRL players on the idea of a "player pool" where girls will move between the ECNL and ECRL teams.
What’s the end goal of ECRL? If it’s always the B team and no interaction with the A team, it’s just a money maker for clubs. College athletic scholarships are drying up.

So what happens when the former DA teams join ECRL and start beating the crap out of the the other clubs 2nd teams? That is not going to look good.
The former DA team will be ECNL not ECRL. I would be very surprised to see a DA club first team be ECRL.

Not all DA teams have been “admitted” to ecnl. Some were granted permission to play in ecrl as a “trial”.
That is why they need a path for ECNL. Some of those DA teams would beat the top ECNL for that club. Putting them against a second team will be a slaughter. They can't keep making everything simply bigger either, they are going to have to drop some clubs that are ECNL now down to make room. If ECNL wants to be the most "Elite" league they are going to have to pitch some dead weight and let the play on the field decide who is in or out.

I’ve said it before- now that DA is gone- if you think your kid belongs at the top level / ecnl- tryout for an ecnl team. If your kid doesn’t make it- play local. No shame in playing local club league. Stay in touch with the team you want to play for and tryout again soon. Chances are there will be a player who leaves the team before the season is over (injury / burnout / job transfer / etc).

Last edited:

I was told ECRL will mirror ECNL and will have 2 showcases..travel will depend on the region your are in for hour league

What’s the end goal of ECRL? If it’s always the B team and no interaction with the A team, it’s just a money maker for clubs. College athletic scholarships are drying up.
Not everyone plays youth soccer to go on to college soccer. Some people play for the love of the sport. And, exactly which schools are 'drying up' scholarships? Not sure how else to write that.

That is why they need a path for ECNL. Some of those DA teams would beat the top ECNL for that club. Putting them against a second team will be a slaughter. They can't keep making everything simply bigger either, they are going to have to drop some clubs that are ECNL now down to make room. If ECNL wants to be the most "Elite" league they are going to have to pitch some dead weight and let the play on the field decide who is in or out.
It's a tough problem for ECNL. They've shown that protecting existing clubs is a priority for them, even denying nearby and arguably higher caliber DA clubs access in the process. Relegating weaker clubs is really a death knell for them because once relegated, the girls just jump to the nearest un-relegated teams. There is no recovery from that unlike EPL. And further, pro/rel emphasizes wins above development. A pro/rel scheme seems unlikely. from ECNL. I suspect they will just seek to add more regional showcases to allow more teams entry in 2021-22.

I thought there was a path for ECNL; win, consistently, against the best talent.
I would imagine that ECNL will look to have the "right number" of clubs in each market, and I would expect underperforming clubs to be put on notice that they need to improve or be replaced.

Not everyone plays youth soccer to go on to college soccer. Some people play for the love of the sport. And, exactly which schools are 'drying up' scholarships? Not sure how else to write that.

Several articles on lack of funding in the coming years for colleges. They just allowed colleges to go below the minimum required to offer in college athletic scholarships.

My point is what’s the difference between a flight 1 team and ECRL. I am certain that many flight 1 teams can compete against ECRL teams.
Exclude former DA teams.

I thought there was a path for ECNL; win, consistently, against the best talent.
I would imagine that ECNL will look to have the "right number" of clubs in each market, and I would expect underperforming clubs to be put on notice that they need to improve or be replaced.
What would make you think that?

We haven't been around long enough to know, but did ECNL bounce any clubs for poor performance in the years prior to GDA? I suspect the answer is no. I don't think ECNL's mantra is to ruthlessly cull the best of the best. I think it's a business designed to support their member clubs at an elite competitve level that produces a college pathway.

What would make you think that?

We haven't been around long enough to know, but did ECNL bounce any clubs for poor performance in the years prior to GDA? I suspect the answer is no. I don't think ECNL's mantra is to ruthlessly cull the best of the best. I think it's a business designed to support their member clubs at an elite competitve level that produces a college pathway.
Looks that way. But by locking out clubs that have the talent and keeping clubs that do not they are planting the seeds of a rival league constantly.

GDA AND ECNL 2020 Standings Per Club by PPG
GDA Current Standings (Based on PPG)
AVG StandingsU14U15U16U17U18/U19
San Diego Surf2.421441
Legends417525
LA Galaxy536178
Real So Cal5.2482102
Beach Futbol Club6.6132639
SC Blues6.6649113
Albion SC7.25510511
LA Galaxy San Diego8.210133114
Pateadores9.21212787