ECNL Texas snub ... ?

Thanks LASTMAN --

Another of my please excuse my ignorance of the intricacies of the unfortunate sitch out west questions ...

How/why in THE hell would any county/local government official know (or care to know) about, or have the resources to track, a few kids flying to TX? Has CA already seceded?
My dd is leaving for Houston next month. I wish her the best. She just wants to ball. Time to play folks.

I would say that ECNL rumor is false. ECNL teams are traveling, including in other states where the guidelines say otherwise.
What I’m specifically saying is that ECNL teams in CA are not playing in ECNL showcase events since 12/14 when CDPH issued new guidelines prohibiting teams from playing in out of state tournaments.
The Arizona event was before 12/14, and yes, CA teams went. Surf was not an ECNL event (teams went using CalSouth player cards). To my knowledge, no CA teams played in the ECNL Florida showcase.

What I’m specifically saying is that ECNL teams in CA are not playing in ECNL showcase events since 12/14 when CDPH issued new guidelines prohibiting teams from playing in out of state tournaments.
The Arizona event was before 12/14, and yes, CA teams went. Surf was not an ECNL event (teams went using CalSouth player cards). To my knowledge, no CA teams played in the ECNL Florida showcase.
Way far to fly after AZ. Makes zero cents if you already did AZ in November. Those clips helped my dd draw a little interest. Patients is key. We have all the time in the world. Plus, so many of these players and teams flew to Florida every year for the GDA. They needed a holiday break. I think in the long run the healing of the mine and body will help these players reach their fullest potential for years to come. Time to let the kids play some games :) I'm playing one on one hoops this Sunday. I swear I feel amazing and ready to live life to the full.

Thanks LASTMAN --

Another of my please excuse my ignorance of the intricacies of the unfortunate sitch out west questions ...

How/why in THE hell would any county/local government official know (or care to know) about, or have the resources to track, a few kids flying to TX? Has CA already seceded?
Who are you mad at? The messenger? Or the enforcement? And, it’s obvious you missed a great deal of dialogue on how NorCal is handling the situation. Per NorCal posters Santa Clara County is monitoring it. And, clubs have been notified. Unless something has changed then that’s that.

Last edited:
I would say that ECNL rumor is false. ECNL teams are traveling, including in other states where the guidelines say otherwise.

Out of state Tournaments that accept USclub teams from CA have been ongoing last 3-4 weekends. Number of Feb President day weekend tournaments. ECNL AZ phoenix scheduled for the boys but will see about that maybe venue move!

March - April has a fair number of out of the state showcase, tournaments, Dallas, Vegas, etc to choice from.

Who are you mad at? The messenger? Or the enforcement? And, it’s obvious you missed a great deal of dialogue on how NorCal is handling the situation. Per NorCal posters Santa Clara County is monitoring it. And, clubs have been notified. Unless something has changed then that’s that.

Ummm ... "mad"? Not sure why the question ^ ...

I ain't mad at ya ... Got nothin' but love for ya ... Do your thing boy.

- Tupac

And of course I "missed a great deal of dialogue on how NorCal is handling the situation" ... hence the "Another of my please excuse my ignorance of the intricacies of the unfortunate sitch out west" preface.

We hear the ECNL TX schedules are coming out tomorrow and the latest "Teams List" (which were just updated again) includes Arsenal FC, DeAnza Force, Davis Legacy, LA Breakers, Marin FC, MVLA, Pleasanton Rage, San Juan SC, and Santa Rosa United ... all of which are CA based aren't they? Fingers crossed that these brave folks are able to evade the regime ; )

Ummm ... "mad"? Not sure why the question ^ ...

I ain't mad at ya ... Got nothin' but love for ya ... Do your thing boy.

- Tupac

And of course I "missed a great deal of dialogue on how NorCal is handling the situation" ... hence the "Another of my please excuse my ignorance of the intricacies of the unfortunate sitch out west" preface.

We hear the ECNL TX schedules are coming out tomorrow and the latest "Teams List" (which were just updated again) includes Arsenal FC, DeAnza Force, Davis Legacy, LA Breakers, Marin FC, MVLA, Pleasanton Rage, San Juan SC, and Santa Rosa United ... all of which are CA based aren't they? Fingers crossed that these brave folks are able to evade the regime ; )
Good luck brave families :)

@Chris Knight What squad? Age? Can someone please tell me about the Houston area and the field conditions? My dd has been training hard for this. Meaning, 4 days a week, every week for the Houston Classic. I looked at the U17 list and it's on. I will encourage my socal brethren to get on the waiting list. I hear Nocal might lose one or two.

@Chris Knight What squad? Age? Can someone please tell me about the Houston area and the field conditions? My dd has been training hard for this. Meaning, 4 days a week, every week for the Houston Classic. I looked at the U17 list and it's on. I will encourage my socal brethren to get on the waiting list. I hear Nocal might lose one or two.
NorCal ECNL will be there if State allows travel by month’s end. It’s my understanding ECNL won’t schedule or even accept said teams until then. Could be hearsay but that’s what I’m hearing.

NorCal ECNL will be there if State allows travel by month’s end. It’s my understanding ECNL won’t schedule or even accept said teams until then. Could be hearsay but that’s what I’m hearing.
I agree baller. I'm putting my positive vibes, half full glass mind set and of course, the will to live in freedom to cross interstate to ball. I'm sure the police will arrest her once she flys back from Houston. I think she should just go, no?

Last edited:
California teams never go to the winter events. They are in high school season at that time. So the only event they may not have attended is Florida (which is normal). But there are So Cal teams going to Texas in February for the ECNL Showcase. It is on the ECNL website.

From NorCal:
- Mustang, MVLA, Pleasanton, San Juan, and Santa Rosa in all age groups and De Anza in all the but the youngest (5 or 6 in each).

No schedule yet - likely due to the uncertainty of whether these teams are allowed to travel. In the fall, we found out the Sunday before the South Carolina ECNL showcase that we wouldn't be going as our club would be de-certified (I believe that was the term used) by the county or city if it attended the event. ECNL may hold off on scheduling games until they get the final word on whether any of these teams are allowed to travel.

From NorCal:
- Mustang, MVLA, Pleasanton, San Juan, and Santa Rosa in all age groups and De Anza in all the but the youngest (5 or 6 in each).

No schedule yet - likely due to the uncertainty of whether these teams are allowed to travel. In the fall, we found out the Sunday before the South Carolina ECNL showcase that we wouldn't be going as our club would be de-certified (I believe that was the term used) by the county or city if it attended the event. ECNL may hold off on scheduling games until they get the final word on whether any of these teams are allowed to travel.
Time to go bro and just go for it. Gimme a break man, come on, this is so lame. Time to ball bro. I want to watch MVLA play real soccer against some of those fast Texas teams.

California teams never go to the winter events. They are in high school season at that time. So the only event they may not have attended is Florida (which is normal). But there are So Cal teams going to Texas in February for the ECNL Showcase. It is on the ECNL website.

And yet another of what you fine folks my construe as an odd question ... But why would being in high school season have any affect whatsoever on a decision to not attend one of only a handful of national level recruiting events such as an ECNL showcase? Texas, for example, is in the thick of high school season during the ECNL TX.

And yet another of what you fine folks my construe as an odd question ... But why would being in high school season have any affect whatsoever on a decision to not attend one of only a handful of national level recruiting events such as an ECNL showcase? Texas, for example, is in the thick of high school season during the ECNL TX.
Not an odd question at all. Historically NorCal ECNL is off during “winter” high school season. This year - up until this week’s announcement from CIF - kids were allowed to play both HS and club. Given commitment to 2-3 events/year and that some didn’t even attend Nov Phx, large contingent ‘planning’ to go to Houston. Now with CIF announcement, who knows what happens. Either way, at the rate things are going - low confidence travel will even be allowed.

I don't quite know the intricacies of it, but HS athletic associations will disqualify teams if they have players that play in club events during the HS season. As @baller points out, that may be waived this year.

Ok believe that is a CIF rule. It was initially waived for this season due to Covid, but they refunded that waiver a few days ago.
In years past, there would often be club events right around the beginning of the hs season (think Thanksgiving weekend or first week of December). It is not a CIF violation to play in those events for your club as long as the player hadn't yet played in any hs games. Players would typically play in those club events and then move to their hs season immediately after. Considering the first possible game for the hs season this year (for CIFSS anyway) is February 27, there should be no CIF violation if someone plays for their club at the ECNL showcase Feb 13-15. Of course, I am only speaking to CIF rules, not health guidelines.

Back