ECNL-style Super League

According to my 13yr this is a very selfish move and not good , both him and his buddy (also 13) talked at length and I cant disagree , he said it’s just like ECNL , thought it was funny

The exciting part of the current system is to watch a Man city vs Barca or other great matchups every once in a while. If I have to see Man U vs psg every year play each other up to 4 times a year (with playoffs), this no longer makes it special.

Consumers should vote with their dollars and stop buying kits or watching these teams on tv as a statement

Interesting to see things happening at the highest level of soccer similar to what we experience at the almost lowest level of soccer and of course the common denominator is money rather then focusing on the beautiful game.

I would assume the thinking is...
- league in which clubs go beyond participating in it and actually form and run it
- closed competition based on club affiliation rather than yearly qualification or pro/rel

"We're the best because we say so therefore all the money is now ours"?

FIFA is trying to kill it.

According to the news I heard FIFA is saying players in this league will not be able to participate in the world cup.

"We're the best because we say so therefore all the money is now ours"?
I keep my editorial relatively limited where I can.

But this is particularly notable in the case of European football, as the idea of open competition and sporting merit have been entrenched for decades. While inherent structural disadvantages are in play, there’s a possible path for a 3rd tier English team to eventually compete in (and win) the Champions League.

What’s happened in our club soccer world deviates from that European tradition but aligns much more with the American pro sports tradition: closed leagues with the power dynamic heavily aligned with the club ownership vs. league administration. A team from a small club can do really well through U12, but due to a ceiling on their playing platform, most often what happens is the key players leave for the closed leagues to reach to top platform.

ECNL already has a champions league tournament for the top teams.

On the old board there was a lengthy thread about bringing together top teams from the various leagues to play a champion league like tournament.

Cal South eventually become interested in the idea and created CRL. Unfortunately that effort fell short with exclusion, high entry fees, poor quality venues, lack management, schedules, etc and clubs became disinterested pretty quickly and left Cal South for other opportunities.

Do we need another league or tournaments now?

Arsenal is dead to me after being a fan for thirty years if they do this. If they are not in the FA they are not Arsenal anymore. A big reason U.S. soccer is inferior is the lack of promotion/relegation. How great would it be if we had a German style pyramid, everybody earns their place? Too bad CalSouth couldn't pull it off.

FIFA is trying to kill it.

According to the news I heard FIFA is saying players in this league will not be able to participate in the world cup.
Sounds familiar. If you play HSS, you can't play in our pay to play league. What is wrong with this sport? Control freaks at its worst.

Sounds familiar. If you play HSS, you can't play in our pay to play league. What is wrong with this sport? Control freaks at its worst.
They think they are finally seeing the light and are going to be potentially gazillionaires.

Arsenal is dead to me after being a fan for thirty years if they do this.
Unfortunately I think they already took that type of reaction into consideration. Someone at these clubs did the math and concluded that pissing off domestic fans can be made up by TV rights from international markets. As we learned from matches during Covid, CGI-based fans and crowd noise can also be superimposed onto live TV.

Four north London derbies per year will get you more TV money than two matches regardless of the prestige and the importance of the matches.

After having spent some time processing the news from the last 24 hours, I'm amending my statement.

I hope the teams get thrown out of the FA. I hope the UK Government enacts a 50+1 ownership rule to throw out the oligarchs and the Glazers/Kroenkes/Henrys of the world. I hope UEFA enacts a rule that any new player signing for these 12 clubs is disqualified from national team duty. I hope the players all enact their relegation clauses. I hope the overwhelming number of forthcoming lawsuits, legal fees, injunctions, etc, grinds these 12 clubs down into dust.

I keep my editorial relatively limited where I can.

But this is particularly notable in the case of European football, as the idea of open competition and sporting merit have been entrenched for decades. While inherent structural disadvantages are in play, there’s a possible path for a 3rd tier English team to eventually compete in (and win) the Champions League.

What’s happened in our club soccer world deviates from that European tradition but aligns much more with the American pro sports tradition: closed leagues with the power dynamic heavily aligned with the club ownership vs. league administration. A team from a small club can do really well through U12, but due to a ceiling on their playing platform, most often what happens is the key players leave for the closed leagues to reach to top platform.

Superleagues seem to be the natural resting place of the top tiers if the market is allowed to function without interference. In other sports we've seen it in gridiron football, hockey, and basketball. Yeah, it's bad for the game, but remember (unlike the MLS with its salary caps and joint ownership), these superteams are pouring a bunch of money (beyond profitability in many cases) to build a winning franchise. To some extent this interview is right: UEFA created the situation and created a monster.

Its hilarious when the fans of the European leagues bring up "fair play", "sporting ethos" and the "sporting tradition". Truth is the super teams dominate all the leagues of Europe. Most one sided thing I have ever seen. Its been about the cash for years.

Look at the odds for teams other than the super clubs to win at the beginning of the season and tell me its sporting. In EPL when the sports betting has nearly every club outside the big 6 at such great odds to win do you really think the lower half teams can compete or any of the rich ones will get relegated? Its a complete farce. The sports betting industry which runs in the real world and not the moral high ground would disagree with you.

Have you looked at the last 20 years of CL and EPL champions? Its the same rich clubs over and over again. The one exception was the Foxes in 2015 and their odds to win were 5000-1. All of the Euro leagues are greatly unbalanced in favor of the rich super clubs. Give your head a shake if you think there is any form of sporting ethos involved. It is straight up cash. Sure its technically possible and I can win the lottery too but I don't call that "a sporting chance". When one team spends 80m and another 600m they shouldn't be in the same league.

Oh and don't get me started on how moral FIFA and UEFA are.. three words.. Qatar world cup. They are as shady as they come.

Back