ECNL Sporting California Program

Hello Everyone,
I would like feedback on the Sporting California ECNL program. My DD was invited to join the 2011 ECNL team. I would love it if anyone can reach out thru private message with any feedback and advice.
Thank you.

Hello Everyone,
I would like feedback on the Sporting California ECNL program. My DD was invited to join the 2011 ECNL team. I would love it if anyone can reach out thru private message with any feedback and advice.
Thank you.
It depends what your aim is for your 2011… Sporting California was amazing on the boys side in the early 2000s. Legends is the beast within that area. Again, it all depends on what your DD’s goals are…I’m hoping that this club doesn’t disappoint you

It depends what your aim is for your 2011… Sporting California was amazing on the boys side in the early 2000s. Legends is the beast within that area. Again, it all depends on what your DD’s goals are…I’m hoping that this club doesn’t disappoint you
Thank you for responding. We are currently playing up on G2010 E64 team. We wanted to see at level she was at in regards to her development, if she could compete with "ECNL" talent. My aim is for her to play at the highest level she can compete. As far as I understand from reading this forum, is that ECNL the most completive league for girls at this time.

Anyone know if ECNL clubs offer scholarships? Thanks again.

As a parent who has been through this, go with a coach you really like and who really likes/is excited about your kid. At that age, the club isn’t that important. Better to go to a team where she will play a lot and have fun. Through time, you will naturally see how competitive she is and whether it’s the right fit in the long term. If you don’t like and trust the coach there, keep looking. If you do, don’t overthink the W/L.

Thanks for responding, I saw their w-l records. At the younger age groups. how important are w-l records? How much do w-l relate to development with youngers?
Clubs tend to win or lose based on their leadership/coaching and overall club culture. This sounds like a simple thing but it's not, especially when a game might be decided by 1 goal or even worse it ends in a tie. By looking at club history you know what to expect before you're kid even steps on the field.

Keep in mind that just because W/L numbers aren't ideal it doesn't nessasarally mean XYZ club isn't a good fit. Maybe your kid will get more minutes, or maybe practices are only 10 minutes from your house.

If your kid tears up a not so good team they will get noticed + recruited by other clubs. If this happens you can make a choice to join a higher level team. In the end it wont matter. Cream will always rise to the top.

Regarding playing at the highest level + training. Teams still practice but what's worked on changes from teaching individual skills to team concepts. Individual skills are considered table stakes + either have them or don't play + coaches dont care if you're paid in full for the team.

We are currently playing up on G2010 E64 team. We wanted to see at level she was at in regards to her development, if she could compete with "ECNL" talent.

You don't mention which G10 E64 team, and you don't need to, but there are only a handful of G10 E64 teams in California. Here are all of them, matched up against this 2011 ECNL team. Almost every 2010G E64 team is significantly stronger than this 2011 ECNL team, most by several goals. None of this means this new team is or isn't a fit. But it does imply that if she's hanging on just fine on her current team, she'd likely be perfectly competitive where you are considering.

e64 2.jpg e64 1.jpg

You don't mention which G10 E64 team, and you don't need to, but there are only a handful of G10 E64 teams in California. Here are all of them, matched up against this 2011 ECNL team. Almost every 2010G E64 team is significantly stronger than this 2011 ECNL team, most by several goals. None of this means this new team is or isn't a fit. But it does imply that if she's hanging on just fine on her current team, she'd likely be perfectly competitive where you are considering.

View attachment 17653 View attachment 17654
Thank for responding. At our current team we are experiencing problems with a very negative coach. putting down the girls during games, half time and end of games. Not taking partial personal responsibility for the some of the issues,, whether the girls win or lose. There is also a cancerous click lead by the team's mean girl. If you aren't part of the click, you rarely get the ball passed to you. I noticed that you can't play like a team if the click spreads to the game. Also it looks like the coach has reached his coaching limit, as the team has plateaued for the past four months.

Can you please let me know the name of the website you used to compare the teams.
By way a big thank you for taking the time to run the numbers and sharing.

Clubs tend to win or lose based on their leadership/coaching and overall club culture. This sounds like a simple thing but it's not, especially when a game might be decided by 1 goal or even worse it ends in a tie. By looking at club history you know what to expect before you're kid even steps on the field.

Keep in mind that just because W/L numbers aren't ideal it doesn't nessasarally mean XYZ club isn't a good fit. Maybe your kid will get more minutes, or maybe practices are only 10 minutes from your house.

If your kid tears up a not so good team they will get noticed + recruited by other clubs. If this happens you can make a choice to join a higher level team. In the end it wont matter. Cream will always rise to the top.

Regarding playing at the highest level + training. Teams still practice but what's worked on changes from teaching individual skills to team concepts. Individual skills are considered table stakes + either have them or don't play + coaches dont care if you're paid in full for the team.
I agree with you regarding win/losses at this age. If we join the new club, practice location goes from 10 minute to 45 minute drive. I also agree with you with the necessity of private skill training. My DD would not have reached her current level without private skills training. And definitely don't expect to get skill training at your club.

As a parent who has been through this, go with a coach you really like and who really likes/is excited about your kid. At that age, the club isn’t that important. Better to go to a team where she will play a lot and have fun. Through time, you will naturally see how competitive she is and whether it’s the right fit in the long term. If you don’t like and trust the coach there, keep looking. If you do, don’t overthink the W/L.
Totally agree you regarding liking or disliking the coach. We are very dissatisfied with our current coach's negativity. So one of the first questions I asked my daughter after practice was if she liked the coach and how positive she found him. As you said, having the coach "who really likes/is excited about your kid" is really good sign. Thanks for sharing your experiences, it is showing me that I may be headed it the right direction.

Thank for responding. At our current team we are experiencing problems with a very negative coach. putting down the girls during games, half time and end of games. Not taking partial personal responsibility for the some of the issues,, whether the girls win or lose. There is also a cancerous click lead by the team's mean girl. If you aren't part of the click, you rarely get the ball passed to you. I noticed that you can't play like a team if the click spreads to the game. Also it looks like the coach has reached his coaching limit, as the team has plateaued for the past four months.

Can you please let me know the name of the website you used to compare the teams.
What you're describing reguarding cliques is fairly common for girls + happens on many teams when transitioning from youngers to orders.

Usually there's a parent in the background "stirring the pot" + going out of their way to make everyone else's life difficult.

This type of action from the player or parent will dimish if the team, coach, and club culture is focused on wins + its also one of the big reasons parents jump from club a to club b.

Comparing teams W/L: Most people use soccer rankings. It's an app, not a website.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to W/L, though. Looking for a coach your kid likes is way more important.

Soccer Rankings. App Store version. Android version. Link to main FAQ page. Rankings are free, $10/year sub for access to all team data, including full game histories/ratings/predictions, 30-day free trial. Link to 10+ page thread on SR right here. Thread started back when it was a website (YSR), and continues after it was rebuilt as an app last year (SR).

I wouldn't pay too much attention to W/L, though. Looking for a coach your kid likes is way more important.

Those aren't incompatible goals. Coach is most important, and it doesn't matter how good a team might be if your player can't stand a coach. But teams with losing records over time are problematic not just because they have losing records per se. It is just a game. But everything that comes along with it can turn out to be more stress and trouble than it's worth - if better teams are just as easily available. If a team isn't progressing from season to season, the impacts are easily predictable. The stronger / more competitive players will leave, and further team progression becomes that much harder as either the team rebuilds entirely or falls apart.

Totally agree you regarding liking or disliking the coach. We are very dissatisfied with our current coach's negativity. So one of the first questions I asked my daughter after practice was if she liked the coach and how positive she found him. As you said, having the coach "who really likes/is excited about your kid" is really good sign. Thanks for sharing your experiences, it is showing me that I may be headed it the right direction.

I would also have extensive conversations with the coach as parents and not take your daughter’s word for it especially at her age. Discuss what play time looks like on the team and your daughter’s goals. If the coach is reluctant to commit or doesn’t want to give you plenty of time to talk, walk away. Ask around about the coach’s reputation…SoCal is a small/big soccer community. Everyone knows everyone. If there are red flags, explore other options. There are tons of teams to choose from. Driving a little farther for a great coach is worth it as long as your daughter is super committed and on board.

What you're describing reguarding cliques is fairly common for girls + happens on many teams when transitioning from youngers to orders.

Usually there's a parent in the background "stirring the pot" + going out of their way to make everyone else's life difficult.

This type of action from the player or parent will dimish if the team, coach, and club culture is focused on wins + its also one of the big reasons parents jump from club a to club b.
Unfortunately. the click leader is the coaches DD. It's either ignored or is oblivious. The result, is that my DD gets less touches during matches. I was kidding myself that the problem would diminish, it hasn't and came to conclusion that it is time to move on.

I would also have extensive conversations with the coach as parents and not take your daughter’s word for it especially at her age. Discuss what play time looks like on the team and your daughter’s goals. If the coach is reluctant to commit or doesn’t want to give you plenty of time to talk, walk away. Ask around about the coach’s reputation…SoCal is a small/big soccer community. Everyone knows everyone. If there are red flags, explore other options. There are tons of teams to choose from. Driving a little farther for a great coach is worth it as long as your daughter is super committed and on board.
Thanks for the tips.

I want to thank all of you who took the time to respond to my first post and share your advice and stories. Your shared experiences have helped me immensely in deciding what the best place for my DD.

Much appreciated.

And a big thank you to the Forum member that reached out thru private message.

My daughter was recruited by a couple ECNL teams at Goalkeeper, but stayed with her club and is now going to college. I know Legends and Sporting decently well as my daughter played with a number of the girls in ODP, High School, plus practiced and trained with them at different times. Both send a decent number of players to college, from D1 down to NAIA, but very few to P5 schools (which for most of us is fine). I know Sporting actually gets some college coaches out to their practices at the two highest age levels, while Legends works hard on the girls side to get them to college.

The big key here is you get to play really good ECNL teams in So Cal so your competition will definitely improve your player. So even if your team turns out to be at .500, your kid can still stands out vs competition. Make sure your kid is happy with her teammates. Keeping them playing should be at the top of every parents goals, which means keeping them happy.

Back