ECNL Refunds

It is not $10K a year. Not even close. Stop with the false propaganda.
It's pretty close to that with traveling. It's 7-8 K if your child travels without family and splits costs between teammates but if not, it's at least 10K.

It's pretty close to that with traveling. It's 7-8 K if your child travels without family and splits costs between teammates but if not, it's at least 10K.
GDA was bank. ECNL in the old days when Maps was paying was a lot less. It got crazy when my dd got to 13 and 14. I would say between $6,000-$20,000 a year, depending on what parents do for a living, that's if they still live in the OC and have a job. This year, I already figured it out. I can do it for $5000. We wont be going unless we can drive. I have a cool spouse tent with a mattress that blows itself up. I know some spots for free in Vegas and AZ. We only eat fruits, nuts, vegetables, salads and lot's of juices and other natural foods. I'm a different person :)

First ECNL costs do not include family. So if you choose to take your family on vacation to watch the games that is your choice, and a vacation is what it is. It is not an ECNL expense. ECNL requires players stay together. So they split the cost. $7K is nowhere near 10K. Like I said ... false propaganda. And, even 7K is higher than I pay.

First ECNL costs do not include family. So if you choose to take your family on vacation to watch the games that is your choice, and a vacation is what it is. It is not an ECNL expense. ECNL requires players stay together. So they split the cost. $7K is nowhere near 10K. Like I said ... false propaganda. And, even 7K is higher than I pay.
I like this example. Most of us in 2017 hopped over ECNL to the GDA in Socal and never experienced the true costs of ECNL. We only experienced the cost of GDA and that's why Hope Solo was saying it can cost up to $15,000.00 a year to play and pay in style. Style is first class just so you know. First in line and first to get the best of everything. The rest can get the rest that's left over. Fly first class baby, stay at the best hotel, get a killer rental car, golf and eat out at nice places and make sure DD get's what you want for her. I think we all know what that is.

I like this example. Most of us in 2017 hopped over ECNL to the GDA in Socal and never experienced the true costs of ECNL. We only experienced the cost of GDA and that's why Hope Solo was saying it can cost up to $15,000.00 a year to play and pay in style. Style is first class just so you know. First in line and first to get the best of everything. The rest can get the rest that's left over. Fly first class baby, stay at the best hotel, get a killer rental car, golf and eat out at nice places and make sure DD get's what you want for her. I think we all know what that is.
Plus, 25% of the games your DD will start. Don;t have to work for that start, it's all guaranteed baby!!!

GT45 - not arguing but would like to learn. It sounds like you are really able to keep costs down. I know a lot of families that would like to know how you guys do it considering everyone is trying to cut costs and renovate their homes more. Can you share? Club fees for our friends and families range from 3200-4200 and then travel/tourney cost ranges from 3500 to10K - depending on how many are traveling and where to.

Thanks.

The good news is, this year, we are saving a lot in travel and our cost is below 4K.

Last year our expenses were about $6,500. $3,400 for club dues. Two trips to AZ and one to LV at about $700 per trip and we're at $5,500. Adding about $1000 more for misc expenses - gas for socal games, uniforms, other tournaments. If someone is spending $10k they aren't doing it right.

Last year our expenses were about $6,500. $3,400 for club dues. Two trips to AZ and one to LV at about $700 per trip and we're at $5,500. Adding about $1000 more for misc expenses - gas for socal games, uniforms, other tournaments. If someone is spending $10k they aren't doing it right.
Or, they have a few more $$$ and go in style. Regardless, if you can stay in a airbandb or a tent and not hang out with other parents, you save a ton of money.

GT45 - not arguing but would like to learn. It sounds like you are really able to keep costs down. I know a lot of families that would like to know how you guys do it considering everyone is trying to cut costs and renovate their homes more. Can you share? Club fees for our friends and families range from 3200-4200 and then travel/tourney cost ranges from 3500 to10K - depending on how many are traveling and where to.

Thanks.

GT is a coach or has some financial incentive to paint a picture that's ECNL is somehow not costly, college soccer sholarships are still plentiful in the future, and it's has the best competition.

It's been a good competitive league for the girls and now the most expensive around after you add everything up including the showcase, travel, etc. Just the airfare, hotels, transportation expensives for a player is several thousands not to mention the club and team fees. Not even considering family travel.

If you're not traveling this year why would it be worth it to play the same teams you could locally without all the extra expenses.

I like the ECNL platform but let's call it what it really is: a good competitive platform, that's higher priced and closed that sells it's itself on being able to draw college coaches who in the past could offer sholarship or preferred admissions to some colleges for a limited number of impact players.

Both of those are now in questioned with the payola celebrity scandals and the reduction of money in college sports due to covid19.

Play for the love of game, pay for good coaching & training if that's ECNL so be it but there are other options and offerings that can meet that want also.

GT is a coach or has some financial incentive to paint a picture that's ECNL is somehow not costly, college soccer sholarships are still plentiful in the future, and it's has the best competition.

It's been a good competitive league for the girls and now the most expensive around after you add everything up including the showcase, travel, etc. Just the airfare, hotels, transportation expensives for a player is several thousands not to mention the club and team fees. Not even considering family travel.

If you're not traveling this year why would it be worth it to play the same teams you could locally without all the extra expenses.

I like the ECNL platform but let's call it what it really is: a good competitive platform, that's higher priced and closed that sells it's itself on being able to draw college coaches who in the past could offer sholarship or preferred admissions to some colleges for a limited number of impact players.

Both of those are now in questioned with the payola celebrity scandals and the reduction of money in college sports due to covid19.

Play for the love of game, pay for good coaching & training if that's ECNL so be it but there are other options and offerings that can meet that want also.
I've been saying forever that too many dads have their money and say in this game. It just slants one's perspective. I dont have the answers and my dd will be long gone but the dads who saw soccer as a means to an end needs to get out of the game. Let the coaches coach and let the girls play for fun. If some of them are truly goat players, they will find true Goatville. I'm super excited to see the 3 x 3 Heartbreakers and be VIP. I feel so honored. We won and the dads got so pissed. The other four goats played ball and we kicked ass, plus we played up like two years i think or maybe it was just one. It was amazing and the girls had a blast :)

3 x 3.jpg

Thanks.
Anyone paying $4200 for club fees is overpaying significantly compared to other ECNL clubs in the area. $3500, including uniforms. AZ trips (and LV if you choose to go to that one) are drivable. Room costs are divided by 4 players. Parents and siblings are not required to attend. That is a choice expense by a family (i.e. vacation). PDA is expensive for the older age groups, but if you book your flight well in advance you can save a lot. If you cannot afford that trip talk to your coach. Another player would jump at the exposure opportunity.

So, $10k is a controversial amount? LOL. I said $10k including traveling cost and I am aware that fees are around $3,500 or so.

My point is that the investment and sacrifice is big if you dont have the means to pay for travel or take time off work for travel.

There has to be a better way than the current process. Maybe it's more local games and you travel only for major tournaments. Maybe it's starting ECNL at age 14 and not 12. Keep the rosters to 17 and not 22 to allow more playing time for all kids. This could also help them pull up players from the ECRL team when needed.

This whole system needs a do over. I can guarantee you that the economics dont add up. You will now see that scouts will have smaller budgets for travel so they will need to pick fewer tournaments to attend.

So, $10k is a controversial amount? LOL. I said $10k including traveling cost and I am aware that fees are around $3,500 or so.

My point is that the investment and sacrifice is big if you dont have the means to pay for travel or take time off work for travel.

There has to be a better way than the current process. Maybe it's more local games and you travel only for major tournaments. Maybe it's starting ECNL at age 14 and not 12. Keep the rosters to 17 and not 22 to allow more playing time for all kids. This could also help them pull up players from the ECRL team when needed.

This whole system needs a do over. I can guarantee you that the economics dont add up. You will now see that scouts will have smaller budgets for travel so they will need to pick fewer tournaments to attend.
You needing to take off work is not an ECNL issue. That is you wanting to go watch games. Your attendance is unnecessary and not required. I covered that. Your $10,000 figure is way off. That was the point of my response. If you want only local games play SCDSL. There is a league for everyone. ECNL does not need to change for you. In So Cal we are fortunate compared to literally everywhere else in the country. We have the majority of our games played locally. Suck it up butter cup or go play in a league that fits your criteria.

Your last point about scouts attending less events (whether that is true is certainly debatable) makes ECNL that much more important.

Back