I think this year they did have a playoff even though there were only six teams:Composite Division Basics:
• Participation in the Composite Division is optional, both by conference and by clubs within the conference. Any conference may determine whether to support a Composite Division, and any club in the conference may determine whether to participate in the Composite Division.
• The Composite Division Team will be the “second team” in the U18/19 age group
• The specific competition format for the Composite Division will be determined at the conference level, and may be home and away, home or away, or another logical format based on the participating teams. The ECNL must approve the final format.
• ECNL Composite Division players must be carded under the ECNL and will be subject to ECNL roster rules. Players can play for both the ECNL U18/19 Team and the ECNL U18/19 Composite Team, provided all ECNL Rules and Regulations are followed, including without limitation:
o Players may only play one (1) game per day. (Players may not play in a Composite Division game and another ECNL game.)
• ECNL Composite Division players may participate in any ECNL National Event for which they are age eligible.
• There will be no post-season competition for ECNL Composite Division teams.
The ECNL will support the Composite Division in the following ways:
• ECNL will add a “U18/U19 Composite Division” tab in standings on the ECNL website
• ECNL will host two (2) ECNL Composite Events during the season
• No Post Season for ECNL Composite teams