ECNL, College, Time-Balance

SccrDad

BRONZE
Hi all, this is my first post on this thread and I finally had to ask and get some input from everyone. My daughter is currently playing on an ECNL team and is doing very well. Her goal is to play in college and beyond. With the grind of the ECNL schedule for practice, training, games, tournaments, and showcases, I am really worried about her maintaining this schedule as she starts HS. Then four years from now, still being excited about wanting to continue this pace in college. I have had many of my friends and colleagues who tell stories of these kids getting burned out. On the flip side, is the ECNL the end-all, be-all path to being exposed to and eventually receiving the best college scholarship offers? The worry, maybe like many of you, is that if we decide to pull her back and play for say a Flight 1 team, that yes her schedule will free up more time and money, but then will she miss out on being exposed to the top colleges or could they frown upon the level she is playing at. Mom and I recently had the conversation about dropping down a level but maybe playing a year up if it worked out. Plus with the newfound time and money, we would have more time to visit schools and/or have our daughter attend ID Camps. I thank all of you ahead of time for your experienced input on this!

Let me gather my thoughts and I will share what I know to help you bro. My dd is a senior and where down to a few more games and then it's all over. My heart aches with pain but time has gone by so fast I can;t believe it. You have this under the boys as well so I can;t post until you move it. Need to move it over to the Girls side.

My suggestion: Stop chasing the dragon.

Do you really believe that college coaches are following the progress of a 13-year old girl's league? Right now, they are busy trying to sort out the 17-year-olds.

If your daughter has the goods, she will be found, and it doesn't matter where she is playing at age 13 or 14. If soccer is the thing you want her to do, then start by deciding exactly what kind of player she wants to become, and then locate the trainers and coaches who can honestly help her get there. Develop skills and a knowledge of the game.

It may be counterintuitive, but sometimes playing on an ECNL team is the worst thing you can do for your daughter if she wants to play into college and beyond. The ECNL teams I have seen are training players - who already have size and speed - to play more aggressively, because that is what wins games at age 13 and 14. Aggressive play is a good skill to have, but it is a short-cut. Your daughter needs skills first, and aggressiveness second.

You have long-term aspirations for your daughter. Don't worry about a team's ECNL or other designation, because it is not relevant at your daughter's age. I suggest you find a team which plays sophisticated soccer. That team will probably already have a coach who is teaching a system and skills, rather than just teaching kids how to be more aggressive. Then find a trainer to will teach the additional skills your daughter will need to become the player she wants to be.

When she is 16, that is the time to put her on a team with more exposure.

My suggestion: Stop chasing the dragon.

Do you really believe that college coaches are following the progress of a 13-year old girl's league? Right now, they are busy trying to sort out the 17-year-olds.

If your daughter has the goods, she will be found, and it doesn't matter where she is playing at age 13 or 14. If soccer is the thing you want her to do, then start by deciding exactly what kind of player she wants to become, and then locate the trainers and coaches who can honestly help her get there. Develop skills and a knowledge of the game.

It may be counterintuitive, but sometimes playing on an ECNL team is the worst thing you can do for your daughter if she wants to play into college and beyond. The ECNL teams I have seen are training players - who already have size and speed - to play more aggressively, because that is what wins games at age 13 and 14. Aggressive play is a good skill to have, but it is a short-cut. Your daughter needs skills first, and aggressiveness second.

You have long-term aspirations for your daughter. Don't worry about a team's ECNL or other designation, because it is not relevant at your daughter's age. I suggest you find a team which plays sophisticated soccer. That team will probably already have a coach who is teaching a system and skills, rather than just teaching kids how to be more aggressive. Then find a trainer to will teach the additional skills your daughter will need to become the player she wants to be.

When she is 16, that is the time to put her on a team with more exposure.
This exactly + you also have to consider that to create aggressiveness as a coach you encourage animosity between the players and parents + reward the ones willing to be aggressive. Once it becomes clear that aggressiveness = minutes the entire team will become a bunch of little gladiators.

The big bullies with little skill get to start, the ones with skills get sidelined, and the chances the players getting hurt goes through the roof. But who cares because if they're hurt they get replaced next season.

This exactly + you also have to consider that to create aggressiveness as a coach you encourage animosity between the players and parents + reward the ones willing to be aggressive. Once it becomes clear that aggressiveness = minutes the entire team will become a bunch of little gladiators.

The big bullies with little skill get to start, the ones with skills get sidelined, and the chances the players getting hurt goes through the roof. But who cares because if they're hurt they get replaced next season.
My kid was always the smallest. The big girls would knock her down. She played for Blues and back then it was hard core and very physical. We were direct and took no prisoners. Only when we went up 8-0 did we stop scoring. It was physically rough all the time for the smallest player at Blues practice. Plus we scrimmaged the #1 02' team ever in youth soccer every month. That's why my dd went to play possession at Surf, not for the free handouts. The fully funded part was icing on the cake. So I watched my dd win it all playing direct ((some say kickball, it was more like smash ball and we had the players to play that style)) and I watched her win the USYS Natty playing keep away and possession at Surf. I personally like the possession style better as a fan. The kids never beat the crap out of each other at practice. If you dribbled too much ((show off)) and held unto the ball too long ((ball hog)), you were corrected and warned that if you keep up that style, then you will sit on bench. We were the #1 team in the country because we passed the rock to each other. No big injuries. It was tough when we played Blues and other physicals teams and that's when our players would get banged up. The college game is more like the Blues style and very physical. I went to SC vs CSUF match up one year and it was insane. No passing from the back. The Titans were tough and had a chip on their shoulders. Not a lot of passing but big and fast girls. SC held possession like 85% but lost 1-0. CSUF got two shots and one went in. Numerous injuries and I walked away, no joke, very disappointed in the style and how physical it was. My kid was 4 10' at the time and I felt bad for her because this style is no good for her.

Thank you so much for everyone's input. I agree 100% that grades are number one, and thankfully she is doing very well on this front. It's a shame that everything is year-round nowadays, but I still want to try and expose her to some different sports, even on a very limited/training/rec basis. My DD hasn't expressed or shown any signs of burnout yet, but I am just trying to jump out ahead of it as I see the killer schedule that she just went through. I realize that the number of league games may be similar with somewhere else, but our coach, love/hate it, has us training/playing/traveling A LOT. We are very torn on this because now that we have had a taste of playing at the ECNL level, I can imagine some frustrations that may arise from playing somewhere else. She will be in 8th grade next year, so my thought was to have her play somewhere with a lighter schedule for the next 1-2 years and then slowly build back up to the rigorous schedule during her sophomore/junior year. Again, maybe using the extra time/money we have to check out school's and attend ID camps. Anyone have input on ID camp experiences?

Thank you so much for everyone's input. I agree 100% that grades are number one, and thankfully she is doing very well on this front. It's a shame that everything is year-round nowadays, but I still want to try and expose her to some different sports, even on a very limited/training/rec basis. My DD hasn't expressed or shown any signs of burnout yet, but I am just trying to jump out ahead of it as I see the killer schedule that she just went through. I realize that the number of league games may be similar with somewhere else, but our coach, love/hate it, has us training/playing/traveling A LOT. We are very torn on this because now that we have had a taste of playing at the ECNL level, I can imagine some frustrations that may arise from playing somewhere else. She will be in 8th grade next year, so my thought was to have her play somewhere with a lighter schedule for the next 1-2 years and then slowly build back up to the rigorous schedule during her sophomore/junior year. Again, maybe using the extra time/money we have to check out school's and attend ID camps. Anyone have input on ID camp experiences?
My thought on this is: if you're going get her acclimated to a tough schedule, 8th grade is the best year. It has no ramifications. Having her learn to deal with a tough schedule her junior year in high school may have a big impact on her if she struggles with it. In 8th grade, if she slows down in her soccer abilities or her academics, it won't affect anything because colleges are not looking at her 8th grade achievement.

ID Camps to expose her to a coach is a good beginning but it isn't going to be the only reason she gets in college soccer. They will want to see her play in a few real games. Some players are spectacular at ID Camps and can't perform during games. Coaches know this.

My kid was always the smallest. The big girls would knock her down. She played for Blues and back then it was hard core and very physical. We were direct and took no prisoners. Only when we went up 8-0 did we stop scoring. It was physically rough all the time for the smallest player at Blues practice. Plus we scrimmaged the #1 02' team ever in youth soccer every month. That's why my dd went to play possession at Surf, not for the free handouts. The fully funded part was icing on the cake. So I watched my dd win it all playing direct ((some say kickball, it was more like smash ball and we had the players to play that style)) and I watched her win the USYS Natty playing keep away and possession at Surf. I personally like the possession style better as a fan. The kids never beat the crap out of each other at practice. If you dribbled too much ((show off)) and held unto the ball too long ((ball hog)), you were corrected and warned that if you keep up that style, then you will sit on bench. We were the #1 team in the country because we passed the rock to each other. No big injuries. It was tough when we played Blues and other physicals teams and that's when our players would get banged up. The college game is more like the Blues style and very physical. I went to SC vs CSUF match up one year and it was insane. No passing from the back. The Titans were tough and had a chip on their shoulders. Not a lot of passing but big and fast girls. SC held possession like 85% but lost 1-0. CSUF got two shots and one went in. Numerous injuries and I walked away, no joke, very disappointed in the style and how physical it was. My kid was 4 10' at the time and I felt bad for her because this style is no good for her.

If you didn't bolt for the free handouts, why'd you say in 2020 that you bolted for the free handouts (twice)?

Screenshot 2022-04-19 165634.png

If you didn't bolt for the free handouts, why'd you say in 2020 that you bolted for the free handouts (twice)?

View attachment 13321
You are sick....lol! Now I know what you have been doing all this time. New Wave Dave said a few things to about all this and so did Soccerhelper. You need help big time. For the record, the fully funded was sold to my dd at every club she was asked to join during the GDA days. No tryouts for her....lol.

The grind doesn’t end with ECNL. At collegiate level they have to train 3 hours a day 5 days a week. My niece got rejected from a cal state school the movement they found out that she was going to study to be a nurse. Find a good Discovery team that is willing to spend money in college showcases. D1 sounds great until you get the $30k a year bill. There’s plenty of colleges in USA and Canada that will be looking for non ECNL players.

Back